Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2019 rav4 Qi phone charging

Teresap

A question for all you lucky people who have there new RAV4..

mine is due March 2020.

The question do any of you have Qi wireless phone charging? I’ve been told it’s not available on the Uk version of the RAV4☹️ but is available on the USA version. 

Ive got the part number for the cradle from a us dealer 861C0-0R020-C1 I'm considering ordering it but not sure it will work?

any useful advice please

Underneath the mat there is the power for it but the replacement mat is quite expensive, others have purchased a mat from eBay powered by usb, I think there is a post about it on the forums somewhere

Hi, i read that part is $300 but if anyone has done it cheap please let us know. The USA RAV4 has a lot more than the U.K. spec.

1 hour ago, Teresap said:

A question for all you lucky people who have there new RAV4..

mine is due March 2020.

The question do any of you have Qi wireless phone charging? I’ve been told it’s not available on the Uk version of the RAV4☹️ but is available on the USA version. 

Ive got the part number for the cradle from a us dealer 861C0-0R020-C1 I'm considering ordering it but not sure it will work?

any useful advice please

No idea but it is £676 :eek:

Your joking right or is that a misprint blimey good job I’m sitting down lol

I’ve found one on eBay for £129 but I’m not sure if it fit the advert says it fits model year 2016 to 2019

Quite happy with my £10 China one. No phone slipping and charges quickly.

charger1.jpg

And I got the one in the post linked below on eBay for about £12, but bought another more recently for £9.90 for my bedside table (both with free delivery).  My phone doesn't slide off this either.

If you follow the link down a couple of posts someone has added details of one that is neater.

I know I’m being silly but as it’s going to be a brand new car I would prefer the Qi charger that I fit is going to look like it’s part of the car and not an add on

No, I completely understand that, and think Toyota (UK) should hang their heads in shame.

My last car, a 2016 Toyota Prius Excel (which if I bought one today would be at least £5000 cheaper than my RAV4 Excel) had the charging pad built-in - as you say, it looks part of the car.  It also had an on/off switch, a good plus.  I even bought a new phone just because the Prius had the wireless charging pad!.

So, although Toyota often astonish me with things they're years behind on (20 years late in the case of heated door mirrors! [in the UK at least, other countries got them where they weren't actually needed!]), this was really sickening.  The connector is even under the dummy tray (tomfromfife showed a picture of it somewhere)!!!

The only thing even more crazy is the price - it can't cost more than £20 or so to make, so around $700 in the US and over £600 here?  It's a joke, right?

It reminds me how livid I was when I bought my first Prius in 2002 and found out after driving it 10,000 miles it had a fully functioning cruise control system, right down to the bulb in the dash and fuse being present - just the switch was missing!  Luckily, that was a (relatively) sensible price (£160 fully fitted) - would have added about £20 to the build cost of the car to have fitted at the factory though).

I meant to add that this is plugged into my 12V socket, and gives a through 12V socket and 2 USB charging ports.  One is used for the charging mat, and I still have the car's USB port free for my USB music.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/accessories/chargers-cables/high-speed-multi-charger/

Not cheap, but convenient.  A still a hell of a lot cheaper than giving lost more money to Toyota for something that should be standard on a car of this price in this day and age, or at least a sensibly priced option.

2016-11-01.jpg

IIRC somebody found an empty moles connector beneath the mat on the UK non charging version. Probably cheaper and look eom to stick your charge pad underneath and plug molecules to usb in there. 

Me, I just use a charge mat. 

As I use the front USB slot for a music flash drive I am using a cheap cigar lighter/USB adapter but finding one with two outlets that actually meets the claimed 3 amp total output is an eBay nightmare. So far I have bench tested 3 different ones and none of them will provide a full charging rate to one ordinary mobile phone and one 7" tablet simultaneously. One was so bad I sent it back just as a criticism rather than needing to get the £3.89 refund. They can also run extremely hot. I could use the centre or back ones with longer leads but I don't really want leads trailing around. Now I have a slightly more expensive one on order ( Keple ) so I'll report back.

30 minutes ago, roadster-rav said:

As I use the front USB slot for a music flash drive I am using a cheap cigar lighter/USB adapter but finding one with two outlets that actually meets the claimed 3 amp total output is an Ebay nightmare. So far I have bench tested 3 different ones and none of them will provide a full charging rate to one ordinary mobile phone and one 7" tablet simultaneously. 

Have you tried 1 from a brand like Anker e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=anker+dual+ysb+adapter+car

19 hours ago, pany said:

IIRC somebody found an empty moles connector beneath the mat on the UK non charging version. Probably cheaper and look eom to stick your charge pad underneath and plug molecules to usb in there. 

Me, I just use a charge mat. 

Anyone know how to remove the mats for a looksie without doing anything damaging? seem to be held in firm.

I have made things QI capable in the past easily enough, the flat coil and charger pcb can be had for a couple of quid ready to fit into anything.

2 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

Anyone know how to remove the mats for a looksie without doing anything damaging? seem to be held in firm.

I have made things QI capable in the past easily enough, the flat coil and charger pcb can be had for a couple of quid ready to fit into anything.

I am planning to do the same so any information on removal will be appreciated 

Look for a post from - tomfromfife, I think there are a couple of photos on a post somewhere

This picture may help a bit - I was wrong about who posted it (unless Tom did as well):

After over ½ hour searching, I can't find tomfromfife's page of the exploded parts diagram showing the phone charger

Daiashthomas posted a couple of photos in two separate posts on May 12 in 

• Like 1

Thanks, might have a mess around tomorrow. Unfortunately I am on a shortish lease deal so car will be expected back pristine so a bit more nervous than usual about risking damage.

I was having a poke around in B&M stores earlier, anyone wanting to windscreen mount a phone, they had these universal holders with wireless charging built in for £15

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/goodmans-qi-in-car-wireless-charger-337552

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 5:36 PM, roadster-rav said:

As I use the front USB slot for a music flash drive I am using a cheap cigar lighter/USB adapter but finding one with two outlets that actually meets the claimed 3 amp total output is an Ebay nightmare. So far I have bench tested 3 different ones and none of them will provide a full charging rate to one ordinary mobile phone and one 7" tablet simultaneously. One was so bad I sent it back just as a criticism rather than needing to get the £3.89 refund. They can also run extremely hot. I could use the centre or back ones with longer leads but I don't really want leads trailing around. Now I have a slightly more expensive one on order ( Keple ) so I'll report back.

I have had the same issue, most of the supposed 3a or 4.8a chargers lie about their rating rarely hitting 2.4a total for the two sockets. This one I have found does not hit the rated 4.8a but does hit 3.6a and supports fast charging. It is also low profile so looks tidy and the cover will actually shut when no devices are plugged in. https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIVI-Charger-Adaptor-Charging-iPhone/dp/B0794S47CV/ref=sr_1_38?keywords=twin+usb+c+car+charger&qid=1572045214&quartzVehicle=29-405&replacementKeywords=twin+usb+c+car&sr=8-38

8 hours ago, Phill111 said:

I have had the same issue, most of the supposed 3a or 4.8a chargers lie about their rating rarely hitting 2.4a total for the two sockets. This one I have found does not hit the rated 4.8a but does hit 3.6a and supports fast charging. It is also low profile so looks tidy and the cover will actually shut when no devices are plugged in. https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIVI-Charger-Adaptor-Charging-iPhone/dp/B0794S47CV/ref=sr_1_38?keywords=twin+usb+c+car+charger&qid=1572045214&quartzVehicle=29-405&replacementKeywords=twin+usb+c+car&sr=8-38

The Keple one I mentioned proved to be useless. The first one stopped continuous charging and just pulsed on and of every couple of seconds. The replacement refused to charge the tablet even when no other device was plugged in. The best I've tried so far is a Duracell branded one model DR5010A marked as 2 X 2.4 amp which works OK so far.

I must have been lucky with the one I had. Don’t have it anymore as left it in a hire car. I will have to take a look at the one I currently have in the car. It works OK charging my iPad and phone and is also low profile but I cannot remember where I got it. It does manage 2.4a per socket however it trips very easily so often I will plug in a device and it will cut out needing pulling from the socket to re-activate.

I agree though, for something so simple and easy to check it is amazing just how many of these usb chargers fall far short of their advertising.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links