Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shortage of Catalytic converter

Michael Copeland

I had my Catalytic converter stolen off my 15 plate Auris 6 weeks ago It was taken in for repair by a garage arranged by the insurance company My problem is they cannot get hold of are placement Cat or sensor after all this time They have been told by Toyota that they don’t know when replacements can be delivered Are Toyota usually this bad at delivering replacements or is it because that many have been stolen they can’t make them fast enough 

Thanks Mick

Thefts of catalytic converters on two Toyota models (Auris and Prius) have increased substantially. Toyota has seen a 2000% increase in demand for these over a short period of time, and their supplier has recently increased production shifts from one to three per day.

There are other topics on these forums on catalytic converter thefts.

3 hours ago, Michael Copeland said:

I had my Catalytic converter stolen off my 15 plate Auris 6 weeks ago It was taken in for repair by a garage arranged by the insurance company My problem is they cannot get hold of are placement Cat or sensor after all this time They have been told by Toyota that they don’t know when replacements can be delivered Are Toyota usually this bad at delivering replacements or is it because that many have been stolen they can’t make them fast enough 

Thanks Mick

Whereabouts in Yorkshire are you? I'm only interested because I live in Sheffield and trying to gauge how bad the problem is around here.

31 minutes ago, Steve Whits said:

Whereabouts in Yorkshire are you? I'm only interested because I live in Sheffield and trying to gauge how bad the problem is around here.

I live in Sheffield 9 but my cat was stolen at Doncaster Lakeside I was told 3 others including a Honda were stolen on the same day I phoned the AA as I thought my silencer had blown Within minutes the AA driver phoned me up without looking at the car told me what was wrong as he was in the Asda car park a mile away from Lakeside with a Prius having the same problem I am told that they have been stolen at Northern General hospital and Chesterfield hospital and Wentworth garden centre 

6 minutes ago, Michael Copeland said:

I live in Sheffield 9 but my cat was stolen at Doncaster Lakeside I was told 3 others including a Honda were stolen on the same day I phoned the AA as I thought my silencer had blown Within minutes the AA driver phoned me up without looking at the car told me what was wrong as he was in the Asda car park a mile away from Lakeside with a Prius having the same problem I am told that they have been stolen at Northern General hospital and Chesterfield hospital and Wentworth garden centre 

Thanks, I've just emailed Catloc to see if they will provide me with the kit. The car is used for business and we can't afford for it to be off the road.

2 hours ago, Steve Whits said:

Thanks, I've just emailed Catloc to see if they will provide me with the kit. The car is used for business and we can't afford for it to be off the road.

Toyota fit catalogs for £250 fitted if your in Sheffield I know Burrows fit them as they emailed me and I will have one fitted if I ever get my car back

11 hours ago, Michael Copeland said:

Toyota fit catalogs for £250 fitted if your in Sheffield I know Burrows fit them as they emailed me and I will have one fitted if I ever get my car back

Yes I know thanks, I have my car serviced by Burrows but if I can save a few quid by fitting it myself I will do that

From Catloc: 

“Catlocs for the Toyota Auris are available exclusively from Toyota dealerships.”
Looks like Toyota have seen a marketing chance.

23 minutes ago, Steve Whits said:

From Catloc: 

“Catlocs for the Toyota Auris are available exclusively from Toyota dealerships.”

supposedly Toyota GB are making no money on these (that doesn't mean that the dealers aren't).

Catlocs for the Toyota Auris are available exclusively from Toyota dealerships.”

my local dealer says they are VERY hard to get

16 minutes ago, Steve Whits said:

From Catloc: 

More likely that they are ensuring they can meet demand from those who have had cats stolen.

Are non Toyota Cats an option for a quicker fix or are they equally in short supply?

Non-Toyota cats may affect the new car warranty if problems arise. Whether this is an issue depends on your view and how long you have left of the new car warranty.

It's a frightful situation Michael. In my case the catalytic converter was stolen off our nearly new Auris on July 4th (at East Midlands Parkway train station car park, three toyota hybrids targeted in one afternoon, all on CCTV). So 14 weeks ago now. Our car is still with the crash repairers more than three months later with no news about when Toyota will supply the replacement converter. No effort by Toyota to contact either garages or owners to give any information about when replacements will be ready. They are a major manufacturer. They can make a decision on manufacturing the replacements and how long it will take, but I think they are delaying until they know more about how big the problem is and can better decide how much stock they need to manufacture. Disappointing. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links