Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Gti Air Intake

corollagti16

ive just got a corolla gti 16 im well impressed with it. but i have looked under the bonet and noticed that the air intake pipe to the air box is in the most stupid place ever behind the head light hmmmmmmmmmmmmm that means not alot of air going into the system is there any other kits or can i relocate the pipe to ???

thanks lads

That pipe actually leads to another intake resonator box inside the left-hand guard. That box has a few small holes in it -- it's a wonder the engine runs as well as it does when you consider how little air it actually gets. Here's what I did to improve air flow:

If you can loosen the mud/stone guard inside the left wheel-arch, you should be able to see the box inside. It's big, it's black, and it's ugly -- pretty hard to miss. There's a few bolts you'll have to undo to get it out, but stick with it. Once out, remove the stock pipe that appears to sit behind the headlight, too. I was lucky enough to have a friend who had a huge pile of agri-pipe stuff sitting around, but you can use whatever you like. Agri-pipe seemed to be a perfect fit, and be relatively cheap at the same time. You'll have to get either some duct tape or wide insulation tape, and wrap the pipe up in it (since Agri-pipe has those little air-holes in it. You don't want your engine sucking hot air). Once that's done, push one end into the hole at the front of the air box (Remember where the stock air-pipe was? Though there..) and the other end through the hole that leads to the left guard. I've actually got mine running through that hole, inside the guard, and sitting just behind the front bumper, but I'm thinking of trimming it back. I found about two tablespoons of sand in my filter-box, and I'm assuming this was because of the air-intake being so close to the road. It sucks some mighty cold air, though! Even on the highway, there's a slight ram-air effect from having the pipe where I have it. Alas! I digress.

Once you have your new air pipe in place, it should be able to suck air from inside your left guard. Believe me, plenty of air gets into that space. Best thing is, it's nice and cold. Get some zip-ties and secure that pipe so it doesn't move around or pop-out. Voila -- lots of cold air and a hefty intake noise. If you replace the panel filter with something a bit better (I actually replaced mine with a K&N) you'll more than definately notice the difference.

I've had people tell me that a pod-filter would work better, but I've had better results doing it this way. With the pod-filter, the intake noise is there and your engine will suck alot of air, but the problem arises when the engine-bay begins to heat up. Your engine begins sucking hot-air and as a result, it will feel sluggish. I can tell you this with certainty because when I had my pod-filter fitted, on a 35-degree day I was beaten by a stock Barina. A BARINA! If you built a heat-shroud and some funky channelling for a pod-filter, I suppose you could pull it off, but for the cost of a few zip-ties, some pvc pipe, some insultation tape and about a half-hour of your time, you might agree that my solution is a little easier.

good post Nitro but i'm guessing your Rolla' is not a UK spec one ? and Corollagti16 doesn't say where he came from.

The mod that nitro explains is used alot in Australia but UK spec cars dont have the TWO airboxes that he explains, Corollagti's post sounds like he has foud the pipe that sits behind the left hand headlamp which is a negative airpressure spot so its not as bad as you first thought ! although i junked mine straight away and got a pod filter which i fitted to a new intake pipe so there was no need for the small funny shaped resonance box right at the throttle body :)

the small space nitro talks about which is ideal for putting the filter into is actually on the drivers side of a UK spec car where as the intake is on the opposite side so its really not an option which is a real shame, if you hang the filter down through the pre-drilled hole on a uk car it sits in the bottom of the engine bay

Unless of course my car had been 'modified' previously and i have lost the extra bits of wheel arch/engine bay liner ??????????

K&N do an induction kit for the Corolla but you must specify if you have the <90 TVIS or >90 non-tvis model when ordering.

I bought mine online from motorsportworld.co.uk

I totally forgot about the different specs between countries.

You guys got the two door GTi, didn't you? FX-GT or something.

I'm actually looking at buying a crank scraper for my 4AGE. The theory appears sound.

Check it out here.

UK got the Two Door GTi (levin spec) hatchback

USA got the 4door FX-16 saloon (no hatchback though)

AUS got the SX 4door hatch (their gti is lower spec !)

SA (South Africa) got the Conquest (4door hatch)

cant remember the others off hand

Let us know how the scraper goes, i've heard about these before but never first hand.

the uk rolla does have a second "air box" behind the left hand arch liner but all it is is a surge damper and actualy does jack s##? so binning it is a good move. however you will get enough cold air from behind the headlamp. i have converted my gti-16 to run with a celica gt4 engine and my air filter sits right behind the headlamp. i did move the Battery tho but it makes aprox 300bhp so there must be plenty of cold air there :rolleyes:

thanks 4 the help lads.....

is there any company that sells a forced air induction kit 4 my car it is a uk corolla (2 door hatch) what other small mods can u recomend...........

K&N Induction kit ready to fit off the shelf, but beware, some of its a bit naff though, for example:

when you remove the original airbox you need to remove the TWO sensors, one senses (the blue one) is a vacuum sensor attached to the throttle body and adusts the timing depending on the amount of vaccum, there is no place for this on or in the new cone filter, but they do supply a nice new thick pipe for it and cable ties to tie it up out of the way !!??????

Luckily there is a hole in the cone filter to push the black sensor (incomming air temp) in to.

Still a good buy as the K&N filter is fully cleaneable witha re-charge kit and good for a million miles....... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Or try looking to the ultimate Jap replacement. Blitz. I'd swear by them. My mate had an MR2 mk2 and it was amazing. Its hard to hear anything with that huge 2L DOHC thing right in your ear, but the Blitz kit was fantastic. They are pricey new (around £120 ) but look around on classifieds for them second hand if you want to save cash. The majority of toyotas use the same diameter filter tubing so it can come from almost any toyota (as long as your rolla is the tvis model). As I say, I would bet my house on you loving the sound!

If you add a full Powerflow or Mongoose exhaust aswell, you'll notice the extra power immediately.

Nice sounding fast car? Its what I'm doing!

What have i told you about betting your parents house ridley. It'll get you in trouble......again. And dawesy where abouts in notts are you? you go to any of the cruising on sunday nights? I go to uni up there and am sometimes about on a sunday night.

Riddles y has it got to be atvis model ive had a mr2 mk1 with the tvis on it the intake diamiter is the same i think the diff is that the non has got more power than the tvis model......

so y cant i have 1 for my gti with out tvis system on it ????

Tvis and non-tvis throttle body inlets are exactly the same only the inlet manifold and valves are different so yes you can use any old pipe LOL..... ;)

tomaddo im in wollaton but dont go to cruises as i dont like gettin arrested not that cruisin is illegal but you always seem to get a bunch of tits spoiling it for every one else.

maybe we can meet up one day and ill take you for a blast. trust me it is a quick car 13.93 standing 1/4 mile with cheapo tire and too much wheelspin :) :)

Well I haven't lost it yet so I must be pretty good Tomaddo....

Cruising on Sunday nights? You're just too cool for words!!!

You wait my child, my Rolla will eat your little Starlet for breakfast, you mark my words boyo....

Croydon, South London mate.

Hopefully my Rolla will be ready for Santa Pod in June so if you come down you can see it!!

well i hope i no what 1 looks like ive 1 on the driveway its my pride and joy of course am in the process of gettin some money together to get a few mods ive seen then hopefuly about x mas time thinkin of gettin the supercharged version put in but will will have to see :)

im also after some styling bits if u no anywhere i can hold of some 4 it !!

thanks

Dropping in an MR2 supercharged engine, now there's a dream! I've had a good look around and there is so little avaliable its stupid. Nowhere seems to do stuff. Even Fensport don't do much and they're the biggest Jap place over here. It looks like its either custom build or import some stuff. Expensive either way!

Riddles you fool. You shall never defeat the mighty 'let. the 1.3 turbo will eat your baby alive!!!! HA HA

If it's a 4a-gze ?? Mk1 MR2 Supercharger engine your after Fensport will be able to source you an engine, they just need a deposit to prove your definately interested and time, these are very popular engines and it's getting more difficult to source good ones.

Fensport are superb at mechanical jobs and won't supply an engine they are not happy with, I would rather wait for them to source a good engine as they are one of the few companies that I would really trust with my car.

get a 4agze direct from Japan or else get one from Australia as these are the two most common places fro them (the Aus ones are imported from Japan also)

do fensport fit the engines if so have u any clue how much it costs ive looked on there site and the engine is about £1100 if i can remember or is this fitted ????????

if its loads im just gonna stick with the stock lump and tune it sensible lol > make it as quick as i can .....

Hmmm.. I drive an '89 corolla SR5 carb'd.. I took all that junk stock tubing out.. with the carb cover still on and using 1 piece of the rubber with a clamp i put a piece of 2" PVC pipe inside of the rubber fitting that attaches to the air filter cover and then converted that to a larger 5" thin-wall PVC pipe and at the end of that put a 120MM 114CFM fan blowing in.. at 4-6K RPM all the back pressure on the fan dissapears and the engine takes OFF! (4-AF).

I am going to do a real setup now getting a larger hole straight into the carb air filter and get rid of all these small pipes that just give resistance and then i am planning on a 550CFM fan that will ram the air in..

I had to remove the windshield washer tank though to do this.. mounting it in the trunk now.