Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Regius 2.7 petrol & LPG 1999, Stalling

David Hughes

Problem engine:

Toyota Regius, Dec 1999. 2.7 petrol (converted to LPG 2009). Km 226000.

Engine starts well, but requires continuous high revs until warm, low revs and engine cuts out. When at running temperature it preforms as normal.

Local garage unable to find cure. Did try replacing accelerator housing, but to no avail.

Are there any engines that could possibly be used to replace it without major frame alterations?

Have any members any suggestions or solutions, please.

David.

Any OBD codes stored.?...has any LPG issue been ruled out.?..Engine temp sensor.?

I think I'd be investigating further before considering the expense of an engine transplant.

140k miles is not that massive for that engine

• 1 year later...
On 10/9/2019 at 3:27 PM, David Hughes said:

Problem engine:

Toyota Regius, Dec 1999. 2.7 petrol (converted to LPG 2009). Km 226000.

Engine starts well, but requires continuous high revs until warm, low revs and engine cuts out. When at running temperature it preforms as normal.

Local garage unable to find cure. Did try replacing accelerator housing, but to no avail.

Are there any engines that could possibly be used to replace it without major frame alterations?

Have any members any suggestions or solutions, please.

David.

Hi,

Did you ever find a solution to this please? 

I have a 1998 Regius 2.7l with lpg and I have identical issues to yours. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Any codes displayed?

20 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Any codes displayed?

My basic home reader wouldnt connect for some reason and I haven't had time to take it to a garage yet.

Managed to get to the garage today and both code readers they tried wouldn't connect to the Regius either, so it looks like I'm going to have to load up the parts cannon and start firing. 

I'm going to begin with the iacv, tps, ambient air sensor and the mass air meter.

I'll report back with my findings in the hope it may help others in the future.

If anyone has any ideas please chip in.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I have exactly this issue with my 1997 Regius with LPG. Code initially indicated problem with MAF, so replaced it. Code gone, but no improvement. Vehicle recently serviced with all new filters too. Grateful to hear any success stories, likewise will post mine if/when I get there! 

• 2 years later...

Hi this is likely to be an issue with the engine. These engines, 3RZ-FE, seem to have an issue with the exhaust valves burning out if the valve adjustment hasn't been checked. The problem shows by about 150k miles. Running LPG could be the cause too, or just made it worse, or it's just the original issue which seems to happen on petrol, see US info on Tacoma and 4Runner which used this engine.

You really just need a garage, or yourself, to do compression tests in all 4 cylinders. Anything below 100, (ideally high 100's) will cause misfiring, so stalling, not starting well, low power, high fuel consumption. You'll probably need new exhaust valve, so that's all 8 of those (do them all). Hoepfully that's it and the valve seats are ok.

It won't be cheap as the head needs to come off. Find a good mechanic and a good engine shop. It will be worth it though.

I've read suggestions it could be the LPG running lean, so check that out too.

(I know this is a rather late reply to the above but if like me you are searching to solve this problem you'll find your way here and the above solutions look like their not garages have not been looking in the right place which is annoying and expensive)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links