Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre warning light

Cbatoday

When the tyre warning light comes on is there a way to identify which tyre it is or do you have to check pressure in each tyre to find the tyre that's dropped in value

Hi on the Prius mk 4 no also no warning buzzer so have a stand alone solar powered TPMS which tells me what tyre and what the fault is  

Been to local toyota garage and fixed puncture for free

Was told the light comes on and covers all wheels

1 hour ago, Cbatoday said:

Was told the light comes on and covers all wheels

Yup!  The car knows, but doesn't tell.  (In some countries, the Gen 3 Prius displayed an image of the car with individual pressures on the central screen, but of course, not in the UK).

Like Ian, I have a 3rd party device (TyrePal), which not only gives pressures of all 5 wheels, but warns (visibly and audibly) if any get too hot too.  When I've had a slow puncture, it's alerted me before the car did too.

Can these devices been used in conjunction with the system that's on the car

If so do you have a link

2 minutes ago, Cbatoday said:

Can these devices been used in conjunction with the system that's on the car

If so do you have a link

Yes.  It uses dust caps with a sensor built in and a stand alone receiver/display for the dash.

https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/product/solar-colour/

One thing I was assured of by the salesman when I picked my car up was that, in Winter, I would definitely get the TPWS alert, due to drop in pressure as a result of low temperatures.  OTOH I'm not sure I want the Tyrepal device cluttering up the top of the dash. I'd have to hard wire it to a suitable fuse and mount it under dash I think.

Hi most standalone TPMS units are Battery powered or solar so no wires mine is mounted at the top of the screen right in the corner so hardly noticeable but easily seen and heard   

Isnt there a chance the dust caps can easily be removed by kids

. What pressure drop do you need to activate the light ? Am I correct that if you set all four low ( gauge incorrect )and then you  use the reset button on the car the car assumes that is the correct pressure I  still check my tyre pressures manually with a digital gauge as supermarket pumps vary so much.

hi the dust caps have a locknut and spanner supplied 

3 hours ago, stevecrvn said:

. What pressure drop do you need to activate the light ? Am I correct that if you set all four low ( gauge incorrect )and then you  use the reset button on the car the car assumes that is the correct pressure I  still check my tyre pressures manually with a digital gauge as supermarket pumps vary so much.

Yep, you're correct. The car remembers the set pressure, whatever it is, so you could set it anywahere between say 20 and 50psi. And as it says you have to re-set if you rotate tyres, I assume you could set a different pressure on each wheel and carry on if you so desired.

See 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 3:33 AM, Cbatoday said:

Isnt there a chance the dust caps can easily be removed by kids

Yes of course, and as Ian says you can use a locknut.  However, they're not very conspicuous, and I chose to chance it unless/until I had problems, but in over 6 years my caps have lived on 3 different cars with no problems.

As it happens, I've just got back from my dealer from having my summer tyres swapped to the winter ones, and I make sure I remind them each time they do this, or if I have a puncture repaired ro buy new tyres, not to lose them.

On 10/10/2019 at 3:24 PM, rafletcher said:

One thing I was assured of by the salesman when I picked my car up was that, in Winter, I would definitely get the TPWS alert, due to drop in pressure as a result of low temperatures.  OTOH I'm not sure I want the Tyrepal device cluttering up the top of the dash. I'd have to hard wire it to a suitable fuse and mount it under dash I think.

Yup, my tyre pressure warning light comes on first thing in the morning, and is out again by lunch time. Also, if the morning sun heats the tyres on one side of the car only, that sets the warning light off. I've just added 1 psi to each tyre to try to cancel out the effect! I think because the tyres are so slim / low profile compared to my last car, they are effected by change of temperature more. The warning light is more of a nuisance than and aid, too sensitive. 

On a previous car (non Toyota) the TPWS would come on if tyre pressures dropped by more than 10%. Chances are most have filled their tyres and set the system when temperatures are double digits so when the cold mornings and evenings are drawing in then it reduces pressures compared to when filled. As the temperatures continue to fall I periodically refill the tyres as it gets colder and set the pressure. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had a screw in my front tyre recently and the warning light kept coming on about 28/29psi and they should be 33psi.

It would be nice if it did give you an indication as to which corner had reduced pressure rather than testing the pressure on all tyres!