Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lenght of Schuko charging cable for Prius PHEV 2015 ?

HSDish

My original schuko charging calbe is totaly  about 5M (about 196.85 ” I think) long.

Is it possible/wise/recomendable to replace that cable with one that’s , at least 8M ( 314.96”) long or does it affect charging ability or increase the risk of getting to hot / fiering?

DSC_0896.JPG

DSC_0899.JPG

I have seen 10m cables.   They cost a bit more than a 5m cable.

Like this

https://shop.evchargersdirect.co.uk/collections/cables/products/home-charging-cable-16amp-schuko-eu-to-type-1-portable-charger-evse-10-meters-nissan-mitsubishi-ford-kia-citreon-opel-peugeot-toyota-honda

If you know what you are doing you can use a mains extension lead instead of paying out for a longer EV lead.

Why do you need a longer lead?

• Thanks 1

My charger came with a five metre tethered cable. However, there was an option for an eight metre one for a few pounds more. So I don't think you will have any problems using an 8 metre cable, as long as it is rated for at least the 3.5 kW the car needs.

It shouldn't be a problem, as I think that is the lowest available rating. If you get a 7 kW rated cable, then you will really have no problems, but that should really be unnecessary. 

Also, I had to wait about a month to get the charger installed. During that time I used the granny cable, plus a 13 amp extension lead to charge the car from an outside power point without any problems. However after a week  to reduce the continuous load on the house wiring, I reduced the maximum charge current to 8 amps, using the car settings.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, johalareewi said:

I have seen 10m cables.   They cost a bit more than a 5m cable.

Like this

https://shop.evchargersdirect.co.uk/collections/cables/products/home-charging-cable-16amp-schuko-eu-to-type-1-portable-charger-evse-10-meters-nissan-mitsubishi-ford-kia-citreon-opel-peugeot-toyota-honda

If you know what you are doing you can use a mains extension lead instead of paying out for a longer EV lead.

Why do you need a longer lead?

I’m about to rent an extra, small apartment and there’s an outside power point , but I can’t come closer than 8m with our car.

This

Looks perfekt to me but, as You say, a bit costly

Do I realy dare to use an extension lead ? (think the manual discourages that)

4 hours ago, HSDish said:

Do I realy dare to use an extension lead ? (think the manual discourages that)

The manual is playing safe but it sounds like you would be better getting a 10m EV lead rather than using a mains extension lead.  You will only need a 16A  EV lead because the 2015 prius only takes 10A max.  No need to waste money on a 32A lead.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links