Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Incorrect Headlamp Aim

KayJay12

I have a 56 reg RAV4 that I’ve owned since 2017.  This is the second MOT that I’ve been responsible for and it has failed on something odd.  

Nearside front headlamp aim projected beam image is obviously incorrect. 

The mechanic couldn’t tell me how or why it’s wrong, only that on dip it’s pointing to the driver side rather than passenger side.

I can’t understand how this has suddenly come about as nothing has changed on the car since I have owned it, and this didn’t come up on the last MOT   That one was completed by the garage I bought it from, who in turn had been servicing and MOTing it for the previous owner. 

The receptionist yesterday said maybe the light is on some sort of Continental set up   This would be odd but seems a possible option   I can see where you can adjust the vertical alignment in the dash, but having taken a good look at the headlight itself there doesn’t seem to be anywhere that looks like a left right adjuster   Can anyone help?  I have googled all morning to no avail.

930A5E8D-E4EE-42A9-9879-CC987836E734.jpeg

Not familiar with your model, but older design headlamps move the beam left and down by the pattern in the glass.  If this is your type, and the problem is only the nearside, compare the pattern to the offside.  If they are "mirror-image", the nearside has a LHD headlamp fitted.

If you think this is unlikely, it isn't.  I had a SAAB which had two LHD headlamps fitted  The dealer was in denial at first, but I made him compare to others in the showroom, and SAAB paid for RHD replacements..

Inter esting post to me my 06 plate Celica failed on Tues on this very item, like you it has nt failed before on this issue, it was commented by the manager, not tester , that maybe a bulb was loose (or maybe installed incorrecti?), but upon inspection it isn't and nothing seems to have changed since the last test, it's still a mystery to me too.

I assume this issue could only be about the 'dipped' beams could it?

Thank you both. I will check the glass to see if it is indeed a LHD lamp but it’s so odd that it’s only been picked up now when the car is 13 years old. 

And yes, the MOT tester said it’s the dipped lights. Instead of shining to the passenger side it’s shining to the driver side and potentially dazzling to other drivers.  

We spoke to our local Toyota main dealer yesterday for advice and they said to check if the bulbs are in upside down.   We did and they are not.