Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dead Rav 4 2002 VVti!!

stevepoppop

Hi Guys

Wonder if I could draw on your experience again!

Having just completed the trailing arm bushes ( which Ill never try again!) for the MOT Im not ready yet, to commit "Noddy" to the scrappy!

Turning over very well but absolutely no kick or life. No indication previously of any problem. I felt sure it would be the fuel pump but it isn't. Ive got a cheap eBay code reader and it says there is nothing to report!

IM not so good with electrical stuff, but my cheap (theres a pattern here!) eBay multimeter  is suggesting the crankshaft sensor. Camshaft sensor seems to be giving approximately the correct resistance reading. - its blooming awkward getting the probes to contact the pins while jamming my head down the side of the engine!!  LOL.

For 20 pounds ish for a sensor its worth a try - any other obvious known fixes I should be checking?

Many thanks

Steve

• Like 1

First off try a spare key, sensors usually throw a code tbh, Has the car been sitting for any length of time ? Is there enough fuel in the tank ?

Bob

Thanks for the reply.  Car has been used almost daily, without fault.  Which is why it was such a pain yesterday when nothing happened! Checking the fuel pump this morning - just over half a tank.

Can you just explain the "try a spare key" a bit more?  I use the non plip key, and mostly never bother locking it. Are you suggesting the plip lock (or non use of)  may be affecting the immobiliser system?

Cheers

Steve

Bob

Following up - you got me thinking.  Ive been out with the key, and the red flashing light to the lower right of the steering wheel keeps flashing when the ignition is switched on?  I don't think it used to do that?  The $64000 question is how would I knock this off without a "plipper" key?  Disconnect the Battery?

Thanks

Steve

Me again!  Don't get this at all. Spent the whole day fiddling about, eventually found the spare key(as Bobs suggestion) at the back of a drawer, and it started as enthusiastically as ever!  This key is the basic one.  The one that doesn't work is the plip one which I have used since 2013 when I got the car, but the Battery has been flat for about 2/3 years, and as I said above I never use the plip or even lock the car. I find this really odd!!!

But many thanks Bob for pointing me in the right direction.

Steve

The plip key may need a functioning Battery to make the immobiliser transponder work.

Hi Ian

Yep, it does need a new Battery.  What I don't understand is why after 2/3 years of non use it starts to cause a problem. And the actual key on the plip one, which must be identical to the spare non plip key, doesn't start the car but the spare does.

Anyway, Im very happy to keep using the spare key. with the aim to be to get 2 more years out of "Noddy"!!

Cheers & Thank you

Steve

The keys have transponders in them, which reply to interrogations transmitted by the car.  The key which has stopped working will be due to a transponder problem.  Either the transponder itself has developed a fault (perhaps the old Battery has leaked and damaged the electronics), or the car has "forgotten" that key, which can be fixed by reprogramming the car - see here.

It would be best to fix the issue, so you would not be reliant on a single key.

Hi Ian

I had no idea about any of that.  Many thanks for the link.  Very helpful place, this.

Steve

Glad you got it sorted, only just seen these posts, most cars newer than 1998 in the UK and Europe have immobilizers fitted - a non start is usually an immobilizer issue, it will crank but it will cut the spark and/or cut the fuel pump - im not upto speed on the Toyota immobilizers yet as have been around Vauxhall and Nissan the last 15 years