Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12v Battery problem

Crossmans

Hi

ive had my Ch-r Dynamic now for just under 12 months and really love it, but in the last few weeks I’ve had an issue with the 12v Battery level dropping to below 10v and the hybrid system fails to start. I have called out Toyota assist three times now. I have spoken to two local dealers who tell me that is is not a known fault, although on other Ch-r forums it is mentioned often. Toyota customer services have indicated that it may be the manner in which the car is driven!! It is now booked into a local dealer to check that nothing is drawing the Battery while it’s parked overnight. The car has only done 9000, and is driven at least 15 miles a day, but occasionally gets left for two or three days, then the problem occurs. I also own a 10 yr old Lexus hybrid, which gets left on drive for two or three weeks at a time and never has this issue.

Has anybody else had similar issues?

Edited by Crossmans
Spelling mistake

Did Toyota customer services not elaborate when they said it maybe the way it is driven?

No they just said that there were many driving factors, but wouldn’t elaborate.

• 7 months later...

Hi, I have had my CH-R Dynamic for 22 months, I have had this problem now for one year.  I have had four brand new batteries put on the car and still suffering this problem.  I was told that this fault is unknown as well.  I drive my car every single day, it never sits unused.  If there is an issue with flat batteries after leaving the car unused, surely this is a design fault and Toyota should fet their fingersbout and sort it.  When emailing Toyota customer services about it, they didnt even have the courtesy to answer.  I love my CH-R too, and have always had Toyota, but this is the most unreliable car I have ever had and Toyota just dont seem to care.  Serously thinking about getting rid of it and moving away from Tpyota completely.

4 batteries changed! 😨 I suspect the Battery is being discharge by something. And Toyota cannot trace the fault.

You have the right to reject the car, hand it back and swap for another or something else, as it's under warranty.  It would be an option to seriously consider. 

• 3 months later...

I've got the same problem as well. The car can sit for a couple of days without use and I am a low mileage driver - less than 10k in 18 months. I now have a solar charger (although have no idea how effective it is) and check the Battery levels every few days and mains charge when necessary. It's annoying to say the least. But my partner has a Ford, drives the same mileage as me and her car starts every time.

Toyota dealership had the car overnight, could not find find any drainage and the OP blames the low mileage.... 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my C-HR 1.8 since 4th March 2020.   Last weekend the Battery suddenly went flat.    I called out roadside assist and they got it started but I had to go for a long drive on country lanes in the dark to make sure the Battery was fully charged for use on Monday.   No explanation available that I have been able to see.  A big surprise as I get Toyotas for their famed reliability and that's been right so far.   Perhaps I'd done too many short trips?   With lockdown restrictions that's hardly surprising.   And how can I tell if it's going to happen again?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

same here. Bought a Battery starter. In for service, told I needed a new Battery as not done enough miles. 
complained to Toyota hq. Sent a man without a Battery several times, even though I said what’s the point. Fitted new battery for free. Said something like furring up. Not being used was probably on dealers forecourt. 
no problems since

• 1 month later...

Hi 

My C-HR is only 6 weeks old and I had this problem last week. 12 volt Battery was down to 9 volts. Garage had car overnight and charged Battery but no faults found. Service department advised this is a known fault also now on the new Lexus’ and until a lot of complaints Toyota will not do a recall. I was told I could always put it on a trickle charge every night. On a six week old vehicle I don’t think so.

Its so disappointing.

Few weeks ago I was talking to the service desk at my local Toyota main dealer (car was in for MOT) and mentioned a lot of Toyota hybrid drivers are having problems especially during lock down with 12v Battery going flat. During the discussion he said if you using vehicle infrequently and then just popping down to local shops it will take about 20 minutes driving just to replenish the Battery to back to where is was before the journey. So, you need to be driving for morw then 20 min to add something to the system.                             

Being seniors we didnt travel use our cars much during the first lockdown, usually use one car one week and the other the next week - just going to the local shops (but we went driving a long route back home to give cars a run (and see some nature). Both of us in Toy hybrids and neither caused problems with 12v Battery.                    

• Like 2

All this happens to standard cars too, but because hybrids has smaller 12v batteries seems to be more vulnerable against lack of use or infrequent use. Now with the colder weather we need to keep them in ready mode for an hour on weekly basis. I will still drive mine once or twice a week. 👍

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2020 at 9:27 PM, Derf said:

What is the best battery charger to use for the 12 V system on the hybrid

The 12V system on hybrids isn't really any different to any other 12V car electrical system in terms of Battery charging. I use a CTEK charger but any decent car Battery charger should do the job.

Toyota released advice during lockdown on maintaining one's Battery (applies to hybrids, petrols and diesels). OK lockdown ended in June, but since then there have been additional restrictions (tiers, etc) which will still affect usage, Battery charge, etc no matter how old or young the vehicle is: 

Also doesn't just apply to Toyota's - our Hyundai gives a warning message on Battery charge after a few minutes if the multimedia unit is used without the engine being on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 4:09 PM, Crossmans said:

Hi

ive had my Ch-r Dynamic now for just under 12 months and really love it, but in the last few weeks I’ve had an issue with the 12v battery level dropping to below 10v and the hybrid system fails to start. I have called out Toyota assist three times now. I have spoken to two local dealers who tell me that is is not a known fault, although on other Ch-r forums it is mentioned often. Toyota customer services have indicated that it may be the manner in which the car is driven!! It is now booked into a local dealer to check that nothing is drawing the battery while it’s parked overnight. The car has only done 9000, and is driven at least 15 miles a day, but occasionally gets left for two or three days, then the problem occurs. I also own a 10 yr old Lexus hybrid, which gets left on drive for two or three weeks at a time and never has this issue.

Has anybody else had similar issues?

Yes, I have. I got the car in March 2020 and, due to some reason or other, didn't go out much but, as the year progressed, did manage some long trips. Just before Christmas, about to take it in for the Brake Pedal Bracket recall and it wouldn't start. Toyota Assist attended to get it going, took all of 5 seconds to connect a booster unit and fire it up. I asked the dealer to check the 12v Battery as, when it wouldn't start, it was showing just 9 volts. "No problems with the Battery sir, it's because you don't drive it enough" was the answer. Since then, I've done the "Ready mode" twice but the Battery never climbed above 12.2 volts.
I understand that, in winter time, if a car is not used frequently or for long drives, the battery voltage does drop but, on a conventional car, it is easy to sense when it's causing problems, the engine doesn't crank as fast but it will start. With the C-HR, there's no warning whatsoever. Has anyone ever had a response from Toyota Customer Service other than the "You have to put the car into ready mode at least once per week" answer? My rechargeable toothbrush has a warning light when the battery is low so what's so difficult about having something like that on Toyota Hybrids?

I too have a C-HR and have been let down by the 12 volt Battery. When I purchased the car, I explained that I did a low mileage and also left my car at the airport when I frequently went away. I was assured that the car would start on the 12 volt Battery every time. This was not true. I now have to have it permanently on a trickle Battery plugged in every night. This seems crazy in a car only 18 months old. No one will help me on this issue.

I'm having same Battery issue with my Toyota CH-R, I'm charging it overnight now and will take it to the Toyota Dealership tomorrow morning.

If the car has built in gps safety systems, traffic cameras, insurance black box or any similar device that the car came out of the factory with or added as extra accessories, these may the cause of the problem. , their voltage drain might be difficult to find and trace since some of these does not drain power while the car is unlocked and doors are open but they start to send and receive signal once the car is left locked. Just my thoughts. 👍

The 12v Battery isn't used to start the car, only to power the electrical systems. Leaving the car unlocked when garaged, or the keys within range of the car, may cause Battery drain.

If the car isn't used regularly, whether that is because of Covid restrictions or whatever, may also affect the Battery

See my post of 30/12/20 for Toyota's advice on battery maintenance during lockdown, etc.

Would it also be worth checking to see if the car needs a multimedia software update?

I know Toyota did issue an update for the MM19 system to avoid Battery drain, worth checking for the MM17 system too?

I have had my new CH-r since July. Ave has to call AA out twice!  It has going into Toyota for a check and they tell me Battery fine and no problem!! I previously had a ch-r which gave me no problems at all. It must be this new model causing the issues. Does anyone know if there is a joint action against Toyota?

On 1/14/2021 at 8:39 AM, Diane P said:

I'm having same battery issue with my Toyota CH-R, I'm charging it overnight now and will take it to the Toyota Dealership tomorrow morning.

Good luck with that Diane. I've tried every channel for help. I even wrote to the Head of the Toyota Board in Tokyo. They offered me a free service!!

• 2 weeks later...

We have  a CHR which was first registered last April and  it has only done only  1400 miles. We have had to call Toyota assistance as the Battery was flat. The dealer now tells us that they are all going flat and are having to be started by Toyota assistance. This is totally unacceptable on a new car that cost £35k .The vehicle is not fit for purpose and I intend to try and return it to Toyota and get my money back. I have had 6 Toyotas over the years and bought them for reliability. All of them were second cars not doing high mileages, but they were capable of being able to sit for a couple of weeks if not longer and not draining the Battery, The 12v Battery and the system fitted to the CHR is obviously at fault or at the very least not up to the job. Looking on this forum I wonder if anyone else is considering a group action against Toyota about this problem

15 minutes ago, Robunt said:

Looking on this forum I wonder if anyone else is considering a group action against Toyota about this problem

Toyota Owners Club is neither a campaigning body or a pressure group, so anyone considering organising a group action, will need to do so outside of the Club and without using the Club as a recruitment source or similar.

Hope this helps, I haven't got my CH-R yet, hope to get mine next year, but because I've read so much on the Battery issue I thought I'd dig a bit deeper, I did find this article on the Toyota site. 

To recap, Toyota hybrids generally contain two batteries: a 12-volt Battery (which powers systems such as the headlamps and audio) and a high-voltage hybrid system Battery (which supplies the power to start the combustion engine and drive the electric motors).

The simplest way to maintain charge in both of these batteries is to simply go through the normal start procedure: press the ‘Start’ button with your foot on the brake and ensure the ‘Ready’ light is illuminated on the dashboard (you don’t have to keep your foot on the brake thereafter, but ensure your vehicle’s transmission is in ‘Park’ and the parking brake is engaged).

We recommend you put the car in ‘Ready’ mode for about 60 minutes before switching it off again and repeat the process at least once a week, providing you can carry out this procedure while adhering to the government’s advice regarding social distancing and Coronavirus (Covid-19). Please do not leave your car unattended when it is in ‘Ready’ mode.

Toyota hybrid storage

During the time that that car is in ‘Ready’ mode, you may hear and feel the internal combustion engine kick in; this is a normal part of the self-charging process. You might be tempted to switch on the radio to pass the time, or turn on other systems, but bear in mind these will consume small amounts of electrical power so it is preferable to leave them off.

Ensure the handbrake is on; there’s no need to go for a drive, although we must stress that this procedure should take place in a well-ventilated area – something to consider if you park your vehicle in a garage.

• Like 1