Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12v Battery problem

Crossmans

I just found this on Amazon housesweet 12V Portable 6000 mAh Car Jump Starter Emergency Battery Charger Power Bank for Devices at £31.59 (6000ma) plus £6.99 postage and delivery in over 2 weeks.  As a bonus it has a case and also appears to be compatible with the CTEK plug system.

Not too expensive, some good reviews, I will see how it goes.

Hi, the biggest 12V consumer while starting a Toyota hybrid is the electronic brake pump, it needs sufficient amount of e power to do its job, you can clearly see when unlock your car and open the drivers door and interior light is on, the brake pump starts the typical noise is present and you can notice your interior lights are dimming for a seconds while the pump is working to pressurise the system, when 12v Battery is down to certain amount although there maybe some juice left to unlock the car eventually if not enough to provide for the pump and on board diagnostic you are not able to start the car in ready mode. I believe the newer models has something that drains their 12v Battery more than the hybrids before 2017, the older models were just because the lack of use but newer ones it seems the extra tech inside shows it’s presents. 👍

• Like 1

And a warning about the 2.0l Corolla with he 12v Battery in the boot.  When my Battery was flat on Monday the first clue was the boot would not open.  If you can't open the boot then you will need to find charge points under the bonnet.

My Mercedes has a Positive point in its own box under the bonnet, I would guess there should be something similar for Toyota.

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

And a warning about the 2.0l Corolla with he 12v battery in the boot.  When my battery was flat on Monday the first clue was the boot would not open.  If you can't open the boot then you will need to find charge points under the bonnet.

My Mercedes has a Positive point in its own box under the bonnet, I would guess there should be something similar for Toyota.

Yes, there are jump start terminals in the fuse box under the bonnet.👍, some people even charge the Battery from there although not recommended by Toyota. 

11 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Yes, there are jump start terminals in the fuse box under the bonnet.👍, some people even charge the battery from there although not recommended by Toyota. 

I saw several positive blades in the fuse box but nothing to which you could use a croc clip.  In the 1,8 there is one larger blade in the box toward the front of the car and that looks a likely one.  I did wonder if the charger cable could be wired in the the fuse box, so perhaps not.

I guess charging directly on the Battery avoids any losses in the system.  I have the charger cable fitted directly to the Battery (no comment from the garage) and a long lead across the car to the charger plug.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 4:00 PM, Suzanne Gurney said:

Hi, I have had my CH-R Dynamic for 22 months, I have had this problem now for one year.  I have had four brand new batteries put on the car and still suffering this problem.  I was told that this fault is unknown as well.  I drive my car every single day, it never sits unused.  If there is an issue with flat batteries after leaving the car unused, surely this is a design fault and Toyota should fet their fingersbout and sort it.  When emailing Toyota customer services about it, they didnt even have the courtesy to answer.  I love my CH-R too, and have always had Toyota, but this is the most unreliable car I have ever had and Toyota just dont seem to care.  Serously thinking about getting rid of it and moving away from Tpyota completely.

I had a similar problem with my Honda for years but when I replaced the Battery with a silver Yuassa Battery from Halfords, that solved the problem completely. It has a 5 year guarantee. I know they sell Yuasa batteries for the Toyota CHR.

• Like 1

It seems latest Toyota hybrids has some software connectivity issues that drains the 12v Battery, just had en example brand new gr sport Corolla dies even after been used a lot everyday for the last 3 -4 weeks, which means the 12v should had been in excellent condition and charge, however the car had died while on the go, all 12v power been lost and car recovered by the mechanics. It was a rental car and we will be not informed what happened afterwards.

8 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

It seems latest Toyota hybrids has some software connectivity issues that drains the 12v battery, just had en example brand new gr sport Corolla dies even after been used a lot everyday for the last 3 -4 weeks, which means the 12v should had been in excellent condition and charge, however the car had died while on the go, all 12v power been lost and car recovered by the mechanics. It was a rental car and we will be not informed what happened afterwards.

I suspect that this might be the cause of the "hybris system malfunction" limp mode that some owners have experienced. Some kind of drain on the 12v Battery that can even happen whilst driving.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am at this moment waiting for the RAC to turn up I was due to go to work but had to cancel as it appears the Battery is flat as the car freaked out when i tried to start it everything was flashing and making clicking noises even when i switched off they continued so definately a Battery issue. This is our second Toyota CHR the first let us down with the Battery and now the second so it is obviously a design fault that no one appears they want to admit to. I didnt buy a car to look after it like a baby i want it to work especially as its only 8 months old !! The RAC lady came up with a possible fix she said hold the key fob in front of the switch for 30 seconds do this three times and see if it works i felt like saying should i dance round the car chanting please start as well ? As it happens neither had any effect on the battery and so i am still waiting..........................

Mike, I believe the key fob trick is when the car does not respond to the fob.  My AA man said something like that but I forget the details.  I am 'glad' you had Blackpool illuminations.  Sort of confirms it is the car and not what I did.

Can you tell us the Battery size, 45 amp/hr?  How long since you last drove it?

I am guessing the RAC fellow will just attach a booster to get the car in Ready mode.

For light relief do a search for James May and his Tesla flat Battery.  At least we don't have to dismantle the car to get the the Battery terminals (unless you are lucky enough to have a battery buried in the boot.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys same issue here on a 2019 Chr excell took it for 2nd service with 9009 miles on the clock ask for Battery to be checked as had to jump it a few times

Report came back bad cell Battery requires replacing at a cost of £125 and if Toyota sanctioned it under good will the dealer would reimburse me, I declined the work on the grounds of IF Toyota didn’t sanction it I would be out of pocket but £125 
Stating I could get my own Battery cheaper with a 5 year warranty and I’m only relying on a 2 year good will gesture with a Toyota battery it’s a no brainer I told reception Hi Ho next day Toyota sanctioned replacement battery under good will 

I personally think this issue should be sorted out by now under a recall as this is a manufacturing fault with car or battery 

Regard P

• Like 1

I had no issues with a replacement at the 15 months point.  Your point is well made though. There is obviously an issue with either a higher than acceptable standing load or faulty batteries. 

Clearly the alarm system is a standing load though my Battery would flatten with the car in the garage and alarm not armed.

Another standing load might be the automatic connection to the server for the telematics. Is it a one off data transfer after a journey or is there a regular handshake? 

There is also the key receiver as whether locked or unlocked it is constantly listening for the key signal. You 

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2021 at 12:00 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The 12v battery isn't used to start the car, only to power the electrical systems. Leaving the car unlocked when garaged, or the keys within range of the car, may cause battery drain.

If the car isn't used regularly, whether that is because of Covid restrictions or whatever, may also affect the battery. 

See my post of 30/12/20 for Toyota's advice on battery maintenance during lockdown, etc.

I'm new to C-HR but had an Auris before this. For security reasons I almost always turn the keys off (press lock, hold down and at same time press unlock twice, see red light flash four times) and maybe that could stop possible Battery drain through key proximity. And stop thieves reading the key from a distance. Having two keys nearby means you must do it to both keys, of course. 

Having read all the rather shocking posts on this topic I am left wondering how far the "faulty" cars are from their keys when parked overnight? Mine is in a carport at the bottom of the garden and the keys are in an inaccessible container (but not a Faraday cage) in the front hall so about 15 metres away at least. If the faulty cars are "on the front drive" or in an attached garage then the key leakage theory could be the problem. We'd need to do a survey to find a positive link. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my car. But I had no problems whatsoever with my Auris Sport in 18k miles although it didn't have keyless unlocking. And I often, but not always, turned off both keys. 

Reading with interest as I’m seriously considering a new 2021 2.0 C-HR. My car is garaged and I usually leave the car unlocked as the garage is locked and alarmed, theory being if they have got by 1&2 they can have the car and I’ll use the GAP insurance. Question. Does anything in the C-HR still pull from the 12v Battery if it’s switched off and not locked? I can go several days between start ups but have a CTEK charger left over from when I worked away and my car could be stood for months. 

From an insurance viewpoint, if the car is left unlocked, regardless of whether it is in a locked/alarmed garage, it won't be covered by insurance. For example, with LV they state in the policy document that if the car is left unlocked, they won't pay out.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AndyRC said:

Reading with interest as I’m seriously considering a new 2021 2.0 C-HR. My car is garaged and I usually leave the car unlocked as the garage is locked and alarmed, theory being if they have got by 1&2 they can have the car and I’ll use the GAP insurance. Question. Does anything in the C-HR still pull from the 12v battery if it’s switched off and not locked? I can go several days between start ups but have a CTEK charger left over from when I worked away and my car could be stood for months. 

If the car is ok there should be no energy consumption difference between locked and unlocked car. These cars has connected services which uses a bit of electricity either way is left locked or unlocked. Just in case you keep the key fob away from the car and not in your pocket if you walk around as it will communicate with the car every time you are in close proximity and if your interior lights are set on auto will turn them ON when you approach the car. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Honest John has an interesting bit in today's Telegraph.  It refers to a Skoda and relates to keys:

"it might be that the smart key is emitting such a strong signal that it remains “connected”. If that is the case, the car’s Battery will start to drain. If you can switch off the smart key entirely, do that. Or try storing the key as far away from the car as possible (or else in a signal-blocking Faraday pouch)."

On 6/8/2021 at 9:21 PM, DavidinDerbyshire said:

Having read all the rather shocking posts on this topic I am left wondering how far the "faulty" cars are from their keys when parked overnight? Mine is in a carport at the bottom of the garden and the keys are in an inaccessible container (but not a Faraday cage) in the front hall so about 15 metres away at least. If the faulty cars are "on the front drive" or in an attached garage then the key leakage theory could be the problem. We'd need to do a survey to find a positive link. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my car. But I had no problems whatsoever with my Auris Sport in 18k miles although it didn't have keyless unlocking. And I often, but not always, turned off both keys. 

Interesting point David, it sounds like a possible scenario. My CHR is 6 months old and as I work from home due to corona, I drive it only in the weekends. Until now I did not have any issues. I have both keys in a Faraday case and the spare one is also turned off.

I heard that new CHR fobs get deactivated automatically after a minute, if they do not sense any motion. I have not tried it with mine. I think they did this as an anti-theft measure. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I bought the Toyota CHR orange 2 litre hybrid 5 weeks ago brand new went to start it all lights flashing on dash ticking noise. Called out Toyota roadside recovery came out tried to start it but as soon as the cables were off it just cut off, they took it to the local Toyota dealer, the main fuse for everything has blown so don't know if it's under warranty or I have to pay for it to be fixed will not be happy if I've to pay for it as I've only had it 5 weeks .

On 9/7/2021 at 5:21 PM, Kevkit said:

I bought the Toyota CHR orange 2 litre hybrid 5 weeks ago brand new went to start it all lights flashing on dash ticking noise. Called out Toyota roadside recovery came out tried to start it but as soon as the cables were off it just cut off, they took it to the local Toyota dealer, the main fuse for everything has blown so don't know if it's under warranty or I have to pay for it to be fixed will not be happy if I've to pay for it as I've only had it 5 weeks .

Now the Toyota garage are saying it's not covered by the manufacturer warranty  (Fuses) basically under wear and tear they also reckon it was a surge from the Toyota roadside assist Battery pack which are a third party that blew the main fuse so now I'm left with a bill of a £170 surely a 5 week old car should start I've contacted Toyota head quarters about this and waiting to see what they do but all this time I can't get my car back as I'll have to pay before I can very disappointed so far but love the car though.

Assuming you left no electrics on or fitted some device to cause the 12v Battery to drain, and as the car is only 5 week old it would be poor service from the Toyota dealer not to sort.  Be interesting what Toyotas response is.

Have you contacted Toyota roadside assist, I wonder what they have to say.

• Like 1

I would probably agree with the reasoning of it being something the roadside recovery did but would say most strongly that you should not be liable. Toyota's own Roadside Recovery surely has to be accountable to Toyota and no way should the customer be put in the middle of a dispute.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mooly said:

I would probably agree with the reasoning of it being something the roadside recovery did but would say most strongly that you should not be liable. Toyota's own Roadside Recovery surely has to be accountable to Toyota and no way should the customer be put in the middle of a dispute.

As you say this should be 100% a Toyota issue not the customer’s problem. Definitely one to raise with Toyota U.K.  Out of interest who do Toyota use for Roadside Recovery, thankfully we have not had to use them? 

11 minutes ago, AndyRC said:

As you say this should be 100% a Toyota issue not the customer’s problem. Definitely one to raise with Toyota U.K.  Out of interest who do Toyota use for Roadside Recovery, thankfully we have not had to use them? 

Think it’s now the AA.

I got 12 months free when I bought the Prius as a Toyota Approved Used Car, but did not continue it…….. too expensive.           
I use Start Rescue, just about to renew it…… £74 for  both my Prius and the wife’s now 11 year old Auris hybrid. That is not £74 each, it’s £74 for both cars. Individually the Auris costs more as it is 11 year old and more likely to break down. £74 also includes assistance at “home”.

• Like 1