Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v Battery problem

Crossmans

@Catlover Joe, thanks. There is a post about keeping the car in ready mode per Toyota's recommendation. I think the car does not gives any warning about the Battery status. Wondering if there is any app that can alert on your phone?

Also, how does one jump start the 2 litre vehicl where Battery is in the boot instead of bonnet? Does the boot manually opens if the car Battery is dead?

A topic titled '12v Battery maintence' was originally pinned in General Club Discussions in April 2020.

The same topic has been pinned in each forum where a hybrid model is part of the range, since 5th February 2021.

The same topic has also been linked to in this topic.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

Does the bonnet manually opens if the car battery is dead?

Open the door with the emergency access mechanical key, then from the passenger cabin pull the bonnet release handle to open the bonnet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Open the door with the emergency access mechanical key, then from the passenger cabin pull the bonnet release handle to open the bonnet.

Apologies- I meant boot as the 12V Battery in the 2 litre model is in the boot of the car

18 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

A topic titled '12v battery maintence' was originally pinned in General Club Discussions in April 2020.

The same topic has been pinned in each forum where a hybrid model is part of the range, since 5th February 2021.

The same topic has also been linked to in this topic.

Mike

Do you know if the C-HR has a double lock facility, I.E if you press the lock on the key fob twice within a couple of seconds, it locks the car but with minimal Battery drain.

I’m sure my Honda had this but I am relying on my memory, so it may not be the case and I noticed this in a post earlier today.

Snap8.thumb.jpg.8c82da3951e9d27623b5d4206a2faec1.jpg

18 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

Apologies- I meant boot as the 12V battery in the 2 litre model is in the boot of the car

There should be a charging point under the bonnet. In the wife’s Auris it is in the fuse box on the near side - there is a red connection for +ve and the -ve is a bolt to unpainted body part. Once some charge into Battery you should be able to gain access to hatch area/battery. Got to add, some say you shouldn’t charge a Battery this way though ie under the bonnet method.

5 minutes ago, Catlover said:

There should be a charging point under the bonnet. In the wife’s Auris it is in the fuse box on the near side - there is a red connection for +ve and the -ve is a bolt to unpainted body part. Once some charge into battery you should be able to gain access to hatch area/battery. Got to add, some say you shouldn’t charge a battery this way though ie under the bonnet method.

Thanks Joe- so when the Battery is dead, doors could be manually opened with the key? I assume boot should open as well?

4 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

Thanks Joe- so when the battery is dead, doors could be manually opened with the key? I assume boot should open as well?

If the boot lock has a key slot, my Prius and the wife’s Auris it is driver door only, so we keep them lubricated and turn them occasionally.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

Do you know if the C-HR has a double lock facility

Yes - like both of my Auris. See page 145 of attached owner's manual.

1762729785_22Chrownersmanual.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spo2, the manual key generally only opens the driver's door.

I suggest the best way for recovery with a Battery in the boot is a jump start using the positive terminal under the bonnet.  Trying to access the Battery in the boot would require getting passed the rear seats, getting the boot floor out then getting at the Battery.

Or you could wire in a lead and bring that to a more easily accessible position.

Regarding an App, it might be available with Smart Connect on selected models.

What should you do with your low daily usage?  Your daily mileage would be around 10 minutes, you could probably extend this to 15 minutes without too much difficulty.  After your round of golf switch the car to ready mode before you change your shoes and load your clubs etc.  This will probably be sufficient but you might consider a solar battery charger or an electric charger and weekly top up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Spo2, the manual key generally only opens the driver's door.

I suggest the best way for recovery with a battery in the boot is a jump start using the positive terminal under the bonnet.  Trying to access the battery in the boot would require getting passed the rear seats, getting the boot floor out then getting at the battery.

If you go for a jump start Battery pack do not store it in the boot or you will have the same problem with access, put it in the pocket behind the driver seat so you can just reach over after you gain access via drivers door.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Catlover said:

If you go for a jump start battery pack do not store it in the boot or you will have the same problem with access, put it in the pocket behind the driver seat so you can just reach over after you gain access via drivers door.

Good point, but does the C HR have a pocket behind the driver's seat 😊.  If it is only behind the passenger's seat that might ve easier anyway. 

45 minutes ago, Catlover said:

If you go for a jump start battery pack do not store it in the boot or you will have the same problem with access, put it in the pocket behind the driver seat so you can just reach over after you gain access via drivers door.

Good point, but does the C HR have a pocket behind the driver's seat 😊.  If it is only behind the passenger's seat that might ve easier anyway. 

I think we have scared Sol  enough but it is a, serious point, you really need a much more refined list of needs. 

The old days of "can I fit my golf clubs in?" must now consider range, fuel, charging points, and so on. 

A good salesman should elicit your needs before selling a car.  When we bought our last car the salesman matched the car we were leaving to its nearest Toyota spec and we have not been disappointed. 

24 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Whether there is a pocket behind the seat as standard matters not, you can buy after market pockets from eBay/Amazon., just don’t leave it in the boot, under a seat, anywhere but the boot.

• Like 1

Or just keep it in the house charging and ready, and throw it in the passenger footwell when you go!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Or just keep it in the house charging and ready, and throw it in the passenger footwell when you go!

You know what will happen then 😅

Admit I am pleased with mine still indicating over 75% charge after 5 months. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Spo2 said:

@Catlover Joe, thanks. There is a post about keeping the car in ready mode per Toyota's recommendation. I think the car does not gives any warning about the battery status. Wondering if there is any app that can alert on your phone?

Also, how does one jump start the 2 litre vehicl where battery is in the boot instead of bonnet? Does the boot manually opens if the car battery is dead?

The Battery in the boot you can get access to open it, but its not the easiest as you've got to crawl through from the back seats and I think theres a little cover or something to prize off and open it from there as I witnessed the road assist doing it I didn't take great note what he done but he did open it from there. Try YouTube there's always someone showing how to do things on yer motor🙂the one in the boot is for the electrics for everything and the one under the front bonnet is the one that starts the car or to jumpstart it.

Kevkit is right. There is a cover inside the boot lid which needs a screwdriver to open . Once open, there is a lever that you pull, which opens the rear boot lid.

boot_lid.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spo2 said:

Apologies- I meant boot as the 12V battery in the 2 litre model is in the boot of the car

Ours is in the front - 1.8 engine.

One tip about an emergency key unlock your hybrid Toyota., from time to time spray some wd-40 into the manual lock and lock and unlock the car few times to make sure the whole system is operational, otherwise there is a risk of stop working and when you need it you will be met with difficulties to unlock your car with the built in remote manual key. I do once every 3 months and works spot on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, JillG said:

Ours is in the front - 1.8 engine.

If you use the manual key to unlock the front door, you should then be able to open the bonnet from inside the cab. Hope the diagrams help

bonnet_opening.jpg

key_release.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

One tip about an emergency key unlock your hybrid Toyota., from time to time spray some wd-40 into the manual lock and lock and unlock the car few times to make sure the whole system is operational, otherwise there is a risk of stop working and when you need it you will be met with difficulties to unlock your car with the built in remote manual key. I do once every 3 months and works spot on. 

This is a good tip - even the locks on my Mk1 Yaris were seized to smeg when I first got it because they'd never been used - The dangers of remote central locking!!

I ended up spraying so much WD40 in to free it up it was leaking out the bottom of the door!

I do wonder if there is a better alternative tho' as the one problem with WD40 is it attracts guck with made the problem worse before I started routinely using the manual key to open the door; This is vastly more inconvenient with the Mk4 as the key is on a tiny plastic lever which feels fragile as heck and is already very hard to open the door with, so routinely using it is not practical... (Hmm, maybe I should get a locksmith to cut one on a more conventional key...?)

• Like 1

I tend to use graphite powder on locks, rather than WD-40.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Big_D said:

I tend to use graphite powder on locks, rather than WD-40.

I agree with you any fluid will attract dust and grit, it will work for a time but will get worse the more it's used.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links