Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Satnav update

YarisOAP

Anyone know the cheapest way to update your satnav

The only way is through Toyota or Toyota's website, Here.com (formally Navteq) even redirects - its worth checking on mytoyota to see if there is a free update

23 minutes ago, Bos said:

If your car less than 3years old the update should be free.

I just had my last free update in my 3 year old Prius.

I checked with my Toyota dealer they wanted £250 for update satnav when I went in for my

1 st service ?

Go to 'My Toyota' web site register and look for satnav update.   when you have found the one for your car and select.  You should find it will cost nothing. Download the update on to your computer.  I did and it was free for my 2 year old Yaris Hybrid!

1 hour ago, YarisOAP said:

I checked with my Toyota dealer they wanted £250 for update satnav when I went in for my

1 st service ?

At the very least I would complain to the service manager or dealer principal.As already stated the actual update files are free for the first 3 years.

Alternatively, if you don't feel capable yourself, find another dealer...

13 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

At the very least I would complain to the service manager or dealer principal.As already stated the actual update files are free for the first 3 years.

Alternatively, if you don't feel capable yourself, find another dealer...

The update IS free for the first 3 years, but even then the dealer will charge for doing it for you. It’s a pain to do, I tried to do it using my MacBook, but it was having none of it. The only way I could get the car to recognise the info on the memory stick, was to use my ancient Windows laptop. I contacted Toyota and was given their Multimedia phone number, it was helpful. 0344 701 6202. Even after the ‘update’, it wasn’t that accurate, you are better off with a TomTom which has FREE updates. I can’t see why Toyota can’t do this.

I will go down to the manager of the dealership as I have bought at least 4  new Yaris from

and give them a piece of my mind see we're I get.

2 hours ago, Jonmartin said:

The update IS free for the first 3 years, but even then the dealer will charge for doing it for you. 

Maybe (plenty of dealers won't), but £250 for what is involved would be highway robbery!

2 hours ago, YarisOAP said:

I will go down to the manager of the dealership as I have bought at least 4  new Yaris from

and give them a piece of my mind see we're I get.

Good luck. Let us all know how you get on.

37 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Maybe (plenty of dealers won't), but £250 for what is involved would be highway robbery!

It is indeed. I think it should be done as part of the yearly service.

50 minutes ago, Jonmartin said:

It is indeed. I think it should be done as part of the yearly service.

If it ties a service bay up for an extra hour then I can understand the charge. However it could have been designed with a way for technicians to circumvent the need for the engine running which would allow them to perform the update while they do the rest of the work on the car. All it would need is a service-only USB port and a way to provide power to the head unit that didn't require the Battery.

But I also suppose that would add extra cost to the car and manufacturers are always looking for ways to shave pennies off. They wouldn't want to add cost especially if it creates the potential for off-warranty work that their dealers might be able to charge for.

4 hours ago, Jonmartin said:

you are better off with a TomTom which has FREE updates.

Only free for the lifetime of the device, and the lifetime is determined by the sat nav manufacturer. For example in February last year TomTom notified owners that 27 of their popular models would no longer receive updates.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Only free for the lifetime of the device, and the lifetime is determined by the sat nav manufacturer. For example in February last year TomTom notified owners that 27 of their popular models would no longer receive updates.

I didn’t know that, I wonder how long mine will stay updatable. I still think you are better off with a separate SatNav, given some are cheaper than the update cost with toyota.

BTW I only have a iPhone 6+ and IPad  no longer use a laptop can you do the update with

these two units or must you have a Laptop ?

5 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

You should see some of the quotes for updating the Hard Drive based SatNav in the pre-face lift Gen 3 Prius!

Someone from a Toyota HQ had to visit the dealership with a computer of some sort that they connected to the car for an hour or two - quotes were in the £400-£800 bracket IIRC.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jonmartin said:

I didn’t know that, I wonder how long mine will stay updatable. I still think you are better off with a separate SatNav, given some are cheaper than the update cost with toyota.

I bought my TomTom GO 6000 4½ years ago for £200 (special offer), and so far have been amazed by the quality of the maps (4 free updates a eyar) and most of all the live traffic which is downloaded from the mobile phone data network every 2 minutes.  (The Toyota built-in system traffic is not too bad if using Internet base traffic data via a tethered mobile phone, but it doesn't match the TomTom for avoiding problems.  However, unlike the TomTom, it won't save multi-stop journeys via the in-car screen).

I would be surprised (and disappointed) not to get at least another 4 years' updates out of it, but they're already advertising their top model to existing owners for 30% discount (price to pay £257) which adds WiFi update (no PC ro Mac needed) and free Speed Camera updates to the deal on my 6000.

1 hour ago, YarisOAP said:

BTW I only have a iPhone 6+ and IPad  no longer use a laptop can you do the update with

these two units or must you have a Laptop ?

You need to put the update onto a usb stick

18 hours ago, PeteB said:

You should see some of the quotes for updating the Hard Drive based SatNav in the pre-face lift Gen 3 Prius!

Someone from a Toyota HQ had to visit the dealership with a computer of some sort that they connected to the car for an hour or two - quotes were in the £400-£800 bracket IIRC.

I know (from similar HDD units in Avensis) but I did say £250 for what is involved which as I am sure you know now consists of:

downloading a file to an USB stick (dealers can probably still order it already on a stick?), an activation code for that head unit, plugging said stick into car whilst engine is running, a bit of touch screen input & leaving it to do it's thing for 20 minutes -~1 hr (depending upon how many country maps you actually want on the car). It would be possible (although H&S may not like it) for the car to be left do it's own thing whilst the technician carries on doing something else. 🙂

& it sounds like MM19 will be able to do OTA updates.

• 2 months later...

i have a 67 plate yaris hybrid .bought in oct 19,with sat nav showing to be out of date ,took car back to dealers told them it wasnt picking new roads up and sending me over fields .updated it for free ,but as been said b4 ,first 3 years are free updates,shaun

Sorry, I cannot be of any help regarding the update of your satnav system, but if your car has a Toyota Touch radio with a bluetooth handsfree link to your phone, I would seriously consider using your smartphone as a navigation system.

My 2016 Yaris Hybrid came with the radio but without the satnav module (this seems to be an option which the original buyer did not order). Instead of this I use my iPhone 6 as a navigation system. I prefer Google Maps which never let me down. You never have to worry about the update of the maps, because they always are up to date. Google Maps even has a real time traffic jam detection which directs you to a detour if necessary. I put my phone into a phone holder with a suction cup, which sits at the windscreen. So the phone shows the way, and the radio plays the announcements.

There are a few things to consider:

1. Google Maps is an offboard navigation, so it downloads the data for the maps. This causes online traffic, so if your data plan is very spubik on data, you should get a bigger one. However: 2 GB per month will probably be more than enough.

2. If you travel in areas where you constantly have no network coverage, it may be better to get a navigation app which stores the data on the phone. If you need help, please give notice. On the other hand, Google Maps more or less downloads the entire data for the planned route as soon as you start the navigation, so brief interruptions of network coverage do not bother the program.

3. In order to operate your phone for hours, you need to recharge it. My Yaris has an USB socket, so you could plug in your charging cable in this socket. However, this socket may not deliver enough power to recharge a running smartphone. So I bought a small USB charging plug which delivers 2.1 ampere and is inserted into the cigarette lighter socket next to the USB socket. This thing easily charges my iPhone.

4. My phone has stored lots of music on it. As soon as I connect my phone with the Toyota Touch radio via bluetooth, switch on the radio and set it to bluetooth mode, the radio begins to playback music from my phone. When I do not want to listen to the music but want to listen to the satnav announcements, I press the mode button on my steering wheel for two seconds. It makes "Beep", and the music is paused.

One last remark: I had a Fiat made in 2001 with satnav data last updated in 2003. I had the car from 2008 until 2013. In more than 95% of all cases, the outdated data did not cause trouble at all.

Best regards from Bavaria
Frank