Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Back window heater interfering with radio

Joregan75

Hi all

I have a 2014 toyota corolla Luna,  it has a touchscreen radio , a toyota touch go . Everytime I turn on the rear window heater to clear the rear window it interferes with the radio reception,  causing so much static that I can't hear the radio , is this common and does anybody have a fix ??

Thanks

Static implies a spark somewhere, so I’d be looking for a loose connection.  

Possible software update required. This is a common problem on other Cars where this resolves it.

Please update your profile to include the Corolla.

Is the aerial built into the rear screen, above the heated rear screen element?

21 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Please update your profile to include the Corolla.

Done , thanks 

21 hours ago, Stivino said:

Is the aerial built into the rear screen, above the heated rear screen element?

Yes I think it is , any fix ?

Hi all again 

I'm having a new issue today , all day today the radio keeps rebooting back to the toyota sign and switching off , it happened 5 times today on an hour long drive . Any ideas ?

1 hour ago, Joregan75 said:

Yes I think it is , any fix ?

From Reddit;

All flowing electricity (current) produces an electromagnetic field. That's how devices like a clamp-on ammeter can read current without actually touching the wire.

A defroster uses quite a lot of current, often, 10-15 amps flowing through un-shielded heating elements in close proximity to the antenna (mounted in the glass, on the roof above the window, or on the fender/trunk lid near the glass).

To put that in perspective, most houses are wired for 10amps per room. That defroster draws more current than all of the electronics in any given room in your house. 

All that current in such a tiny space produces a pretty large electromagnetic field. Radio waves received by the antenna are just electromagnetic waves at a certain frequency, say, 106.1mhz for my favorite local station. 

With a powerful field so near by, interference is caused, and reception quality is effected.

Anything drawing that much current, whether it's lighting, an amplifier, or a power inverter, will produce the same effect.

On 10/13/2019 at 8:00 PM, Joregan75 said:

Hi all again 

I'm having a new issue today , all day today the radio keeps rebooting back to the toyota sign and switching off , it happened 5 times today on an hour long drive . Any ideas ?

Keeping it simple may be a loose connection between the power supply and the radio,  up finding out is another matter 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links