Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 Corolla: Are future map updates likely to be free?

Velvet--Glove

A bit of an idle question here...

I was perusing another forum here and came across a query about satnav map updates for the Yaris. Owners were saying they get free map updates for the first 3 years as did one Prius owner.

Now, at the time of ordering my 2019 Corolla I asked the salesman about this and he seemed a little unsure but thought the updates for the Corolla would NOT be free. I left it at that but now I'm wondering what the true situation is because said salesman, though generally quite good, did get a couple of other facts wrong.

So my question is this: does anybody know anything factual about the cost, free or otherwise, of any future satnav map updates in the first years of ownership of a new Corolla? Has this info been published anywhere??

Also, being new to built-in satnavs, are these updates likely to include updated speed camera information?

Cheers.

They are free for three years after purchase. The updates are every six months (and a bit of a faff to apply). No idea about speed camera information as that's of no concern to me.

The sat nav is okay, it does the job. It seems accurate enough but I know of one road closure that the maps know nothing about despite it being blocked off for several years now.

I'd have preferred to have just continued using my phone but sat nav came with the trim level I wanted so I've accepted it.

• Like 1

doesn't refer specifically to MM19 but:

• Free map updates for three years to keep your routes up to date
  • Free online connected services for three years to allow you to make the most of all the apps in the system and stay connected wherever you are when connected to the internet 

https://www.toyota-europe.com/service-and-accessories/genuine-accessories/upgrade-toyota-touch-2

If you are concerned about speed cameras I would run something like Waze as well as this will be updated more quickly (especially with regard to mobile cameras)

3 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

If you are concerned about speed cameras I would run something like Waze as well as this will be updated more quickly (especially with regard to mobile cameras)

An even better solution is just to keep within the posted limit 😉

• Like 1

Just now, AndrueC said:

well, that too - but asking the question suggests that he might not be amenable 😛

On 10/12/2019 at 8:05 PM, Heidfirst said:

doesn't refer specifically to MM19 but:

• Free map updates for three years to keep your routes up to date
  • Free online connected services for three years to allow you to make the most of all the apps in the system and stay connected wherever you are when connected to the internet 

https://www.toyota-europe.com/service-and-accessories/genuine-accessories/upgrade-toyota-touch-2

If you are concerned.........

What does MM19 refer to?

Is this the code for the current Corolla spec?

I read that the Rav is to have a tilt sensor included in the new spec, any news that this may come to theCorolla ?

Any info on when / what the new spec will be for the Corolla?

I assume you can get the dealer to update the maps when the car goes in for service?

A lot of different questions I know but all answers would be appreciated 

MM19 is MultiMedia19 - the forthcoming infotainment system on the 2020MY C-HR & presumably Corolla, RAV4 etc. as they get updated.

The current is MM17 where the first 3 years from registration as new are free.

I imagine that the tilt sensor is likely to be added to new production Corollas when they get updated for new MY or 1/2 MY changes depending upon location of the CAT & if Toyota reckon that theft of it is likely to be an issue. I think that Devon Aygo may have already alluded (January?) but can't really remember.  edit:

Yes, some may charge for the labour (it takes time - potentially up to ~1hr for the full Europe maps, you can cut that down by only installing the maps of countries that you actually need - with the engine running), some don't.

Thanks to all who replied. It sounds like the first 3 years of updates would most likely be free, then. 
I hope that the camera info will be updated too. I don't have a suitable mobile data plan so can't use Waze or any apps or live updates of any sort unfortunately but thanks for the additional ideas. It's not a big issue for me.

15 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Ah but I do! I am a careful female driver with decades of experience, not a speed freak by any means. But as I've got older I feel I do need to stay more focused on what speed I'm doing, I want to drive safely. I use the speed limiter on the car quite a bit now that I have it and the warning beeps of approaching fixed cameras are a helpful reminder too. I was just idly wondering if they would be updated with the maps. Some years ago I used to download this manually from an online database but that was for a standalone SatNav device. 

Sorry to hijack the thread but say when going in for a service would the maps be updated by the dealer or is it something we have to try and do our selves?

1 hour ago, Chattacks said:

Sorry to hijack the thread but say when going in for a service would the maps be updated by the dealer or is it something we have to try and do our selves?

A dealer could do it but they'd charge. The problem is that if you choose to update everything it takes about an hour during which time the engine has to be running. They can't do it during the service so that's an extra hour while the car is sat blocking a service bay for which they'd charge.

Updating is a bit of a faff but it's something we're expected to do for ourselves. The exact steps are (from here )

• register satnav (https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/)
  • "purchase" map update (https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/)
  • make note of activation key (important, although it should appear in a confirmation email)
  • download zip
  • extract zip
  • copy FMU folder to the USB (requires 11.2GB)
  • start car
  • put in usb
  • nav system will verify the update
  • acknowledge the update
  • put in the activation key
  • wait an hour
  • at the end take out usb when directed
  • the nav system will reboot.

Note that purchasing the app will be free during the first three years but you still have to click through several pages including a statement of the tax you owe (20% VAT on zero is of course zero).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is my understanding that you can download and install updates yourself (via "My Toyota" web account), though it can be a time consuming process for some. I've seen reports of an hour or more for the download and/or the car to install the software. It might be possible/quicker to download the file/s to a USB stick and use that to update the car maybe,I don't know.  I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I expect you could ask your dealer to do any updates for you when you go in for a service but it's possible they might request some sort of payment for this. Again, I really don't know so it would be best to check with your individual dealer if this is what you would prefer.

• 5 months later...

Hi, just to add a few notes about this. 
I’ve kept my Auris updated over the past 3 years and though I agree it is a bit of a faff there are a few things you can do to make life easier. 
After downloading the zip file, if you look in it you will see a file called something like key.xml. You can edit this and replace the dummy activation key (something like 111-222-333-444 ?) with the one you’ve been given. That will save you having to key it in the car.

Then rather, than sitting in the car for an hour wasting time and petrol, the next journey you go on that is about an hour or more where you don’t require the Satnav, you can just put the usb stick in and let it update. 

Hope that helps. 

We dont charge for software updates if being done when vehicle is in the workshop for other work 

You shouldn't really worry about maps getting updated. In a month or so we will get android auto/apple carplay (if this whole situation ends by then). Maps from google or Apple are so much better than the maps that toyota provides or any manufacturer really.

1 hour ago, King Crimson said:

You shouldn't really worry about maps getting updated. In a month or so we will get android auto/apple carplay (if this whole situation ends by then). Maps from google or apple are so much better than the maps that toyota provides or any manufacturer really.

Does CarPlay display turn information on the dashboard then? Does CarPlay work when my mobile phone is in my jacket pocket?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

Does CarPlay display turn information on the dashboard then? Does CarPlay work when my mobile phone is in my jacket pocket?

I wouldn't know because i have the 2019 model. I'm pretty sure that i've seen other cars that display information on the dashboard, not sure about the corolla. I only know that bmw has wireless carplay and no other brand. But i don't see how having a usb cable in your car and plugging in your phone would be an  inconvenience? I personally don't have maps in my car as they were an extra even on the highest trim (about 850 euro) which for me is way too much for maps that are not even that good and i would never pay extra for maps from any manufacturer if i knew that android auto/carplay was available. All in all with android auto/apple carplay you have better maps, easily change track on spotify from screen or listen to a new song without having to use your phone and having to look down and here in Greece it's allegedly free.

1 hour ago, King Crimson said:

I wouldn't know because i have the 2019 model. I'm pretty sure that i've seen other cars that display information on the dashboard, not sure about the corolla. I only know that bmw has wireless carplay and no other brand. But i don't see how having a usb cable in your car and plugging in your phone would be an  inconvenience? I personally don't have maps in my car as they were an extra even on the highest trim (about 850 euro) which for me is way too much for maps that are not even that good and i would never pay extra for maps from any manufacturer if i knew that android auto/carplay was available. All in all with android auto/apple carplay you have better maps, easily change track on spotify from screen or listen to a new song without having to use your phone and having to look down and here in Greece it's allegedly free.

I currently have an iPod Touch plugged in. Since Toyota only saw fit to give us one data port (Honda give their owners three in total) I'd have to either forego the Touch or use a hub which means more wires trailing around (assuming the car supports USB hubs). And whilst it's not a huge deal I already have to remember to enable Parking Hold, turn the infotainment unit on and select my iPod as source. Having to unplug the Touch, and connect my phone in its place (with a smaller music library) is an extra step I'd have to remember to do when I want sat nav. I'd also have to remember to take a USB cable into the car with me. I rarely use a USB cable with my phone because I charge it wirelessly.

To be fair I didn't particularly want Maps either but in the UK there wasn't as much flexibility. I wanted everything else on the Excel list. And I love technology when it works..but loathe it when it gets in the way. Having to unplug and plug cables and remember special cases would irritate me.

Edit: Toyota sell a USB hub so that's a partial solution.

https://collection.toyota-europe.com/employee/usb-hub

(Cheaper USB hubs are available elsewhere 🙂 )

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/20/20875604/apple-carplay-ios13-multiple-screen-no-support

Looks like it won't be able to display turn information on the multi-function screen.

The only reason (that I see at the moment anyway) to upgrade to Android Auto and Apple Car play, is to make the car more appealing to future owners, and keep the car as up to date as possible.

I don't see the big issue with the car sat nav, and I like the turn info in the instrument display, that sells it to me. The only thing I miss is house numbers, the Sat Nav just takes you to the street, whereas the Garmin unit in my commercial vehicle will take me to the house number. If I used the car a lot for business visits, that would persuade me to use the mobile sat nav, while on business. I don't know why Toyota had to build their own system, when Garmin or presumably Tom Tom would do that. And updates on a very regular basis.

But I appreciate that not having Android and Apple connectivity, seems more important to some, so welcome the chance to get the upgrade.

• Thanks 1

My biggest gripe about the built-in sat nav (other than the horror of the update process) is that it doesn't give you 'next road' information. It helps enormously when approaching unfamiliar junctions and helps the knowledgeable person work out what route is being offered. There are plenty of alternative routes between my house and North Wales that I only know by name. 'Next junction in ten miles' lacks clarity. But 'Next road will be the A41' tells me a lot if I'm heading west along the M54.

For one thing it tells me that either there's big trouble around Shrewsbury or the sat nav has developed a sadistic streak 🙂

(When I was younger I used the A41 up there a lot. It was a fun drive. But these days as an older and somewhat wiser man I consider it to be a pain in the buttocks. Driving long distances on single carriageway roads is something I try to avoid).

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

I currently have an iPod Touch plugged in. Since Toyota only saw fit to give us one data port (Honda give their owners three in total) I'd have to either forego the Touch or use a hub which means more wires trailing around (assuming the car supports USB hubs). And whilst it's not a huge deal I already have to remember to enable Parking Hold, turn the infotainment unit on and select my iPod as source. Having to unplug the Touch, and connect my phone in its place (with a smaller music library) is an extra step I'd have to remember to do when I want sat nav. I'd also have to remember to take a USB cable into the car with me. I rarely use a USB cable with my phone because I charge it wirelessly.

To be fair I didn't particularly want Maps either but in the UK there wasn't as much flexibility. I wanted everything else on the Excel list. And I love technology when it works..but loathe it when it gets in the way. Having to unplug and plug cables and remember special cases would irritate me.

Edit: Toyota sell a USB hub so that's a partial solution.

https://collection.toyota-europe.com/employee/usb-hub

(Cheaper USB hubs are available elsewhere 🙂 )

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/20/20875604/apple-carplay-ios13-multiple-screen-no-support

Looks like it won't be able to display turn information on the multi-function screen.

When i was doing reaserch on the corolla i saw a lot of people on forums (i found only forums from the us because the corolla was already released there) that the corolla didn't have aa/carplay and it wasn't certain if it would get retrofitted later on and they would not make the purchase just because it didn't have those features, although i can live without aa/carplay it's still really convenient to have maps and spotify or other apps always at the ready and easily change between them whenever i so desire plus it's a free upgrade in Greece. Also i was thinking of buying a second usb cable and have it always plugged into the usb port so i don't have to remember to take one with me.

2 hours ago, Timmon said:

I don't know why Toyota had to build their own system, when Garmin or presumably Tom Tom would do that.

Garmin and Toyota use the same mapping supplier - Here - but presumably bespoke versions. As regards Garmin and TomTom updates, where these are lifetime, the 'lifetime' is determined by the sat nav manufacturer. Back in 2018, TomTom ceased supporting approx 60 models, as these were seen to have reached the end of their life as regards updates.

• Like 1

If you have a mobile and your vehicle is Apple friendly use Waze its free and the display is much easier to see than the built in Toyota offering. 

1 hour ago, Louie said:

If you have a mobile and your vehicle is Apple friendly use Waze its free and the display is much easier to see than the built in Toyota offering. 

Yep, waze for Apple and google maps for android are far better to what toyota's offering or any manufacturer really.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Brand new owners of any Toyota cars have 3 years free Map Care (free map update every Autumn & Spring), Google Search, Google Street View, Fuel, Parking, Weather, Cyclops Mobile Speed Camera (accurate as far as in my experience), Traffic and e-Store apps. To avail it, you need to create an account in MyT Connected Services. The dealer can help you registered if you don't know, but you can also do it on your own as long as you have the car VIN number and the V5C documents.

As I said elsewhere, the next update is due Oct/Nov 2020.  As of yesterday no update.