Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

fuel economy on eco mode

JON DAVIES

I am a new owner of a auris hybrid 1.8 auto est on a 66 plate.The fuel economy seems to vary a lot on the same commute, I drive between 60-65mph on the dual carriageway

I travel about 23 miles each way to work - 2 miles when cold 18 miles dual carriage way then 3  miles in a town. I drive generally with the eco mode on, & using cruise control on as much as possible [  Also accelerating using the cruise control ]. While driving the Eco dial is nearer the power section. If I switch the eco mode off to show no mode, the eco gauge doesn't rise, so I don't think it is making a difference , the economy seems to differ between 50mpg & 60 mpg, which seems strange.Would I be better to keep the eco mode off? 

Any advice would be appreciated

Moved to the Auris club.

By the way, all Toyota hybrids are automatic.

Hi Jon, I not a fan of cruise control, it’s a convenience I can live without, and especially since I got a Auris hybrid about 30 months ago (now with a Prius). I find I can get better economy without ccontrol, by accelerating smoothly up to the speed I want, then lifting foot off throttle just for a moment, then lightly squeezing throttle. This usually forces the car to use the hybrid Battery (assuming there is Battery power available). Over a period of time you may slow down somewhat, but then you repeat the smooth acceleration followed by taking foot of throttle momentarily. It’s called “pulse and glide”, one of the techniques used to get good mpg from hybrids (see You Tube). 
I view Norfolk to be a flat county, don’t know if that is true on the journey you make. I find flat roads driving more difficult to get good mpg then roads with gradients, that’s my experience of hybrid driving.  I used to get about 62mpg during the summer in my Auris. The wife has the car now and she does about the same. During winter this drops to early-mid fifties.

My experience of using eco mode, normal, of PWR is similar to yours, it doesn’t make much difference to economy. I find the difference is the sensitivity of the throttle alters. In PWR mode, just a touch will mean sharper acceleration, whereas in eco mode more pressure has to be applied.

lots of tips on You Tube on how to get best mpg from a hybrid, I found lots for Prius,  it Auris hybrid principles are the same.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply i will check out Youtube

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links