Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Touch 2 with Glitches

CurranShelter

Has anyone noticed any gremlins in their TT2 media system recently? I've had a few weirdiosities (tm) with my Auris recently, including:

• Sat nav frozen part-way through navigation - happened a few times, sometimes recovering but twice requiring reboot / power off & on
  • Spontaneous reboot of media system - happened a couple of times with no obvious trigger
  • Navigation detecting position incorrectly (for a good 10 mins or so, despite being locked on to 8 satellites - it showed me as being on adjacent roads or non-roads!)
  • Intermittent lag when using system, e.g. entering new destination (although that's always been a bit slow)
  • Sudden refusal to relay notification sounds from Android phone via bluetooth (always used to work, no longer does)
  • Text messages not relayed from phone despite BT connection (always used to be horribly slow, but now just seems it just doesn't happen).

To be fair, it still works *most* of the time, but it's still mightily frustrating when these things do happen (at the most inconvenient moments), and more concerning as the warranty is up before long. I could kind of understand it if this had started happening after a system update, but the last download was way back in the spring and it's only the past couple of months where I've noticed these problems. My local dealership has had a look and run diagnostics, and said there are no faults being reported. They suggested the only alternative would be to disconnect the sat nav and see if the system stabilises, to see if that helps pinpoint the problem, but I use the nav quite a bit so I've declined that option for the moment. Any constructive suggestions welcome!

Check the diagnostics in the hidden menu if in doubt hit the init button (factory reset)

• Like 1

Ooh thanks, hidden diagnostics... that sounds interesting. 😃 I will have a poke around in there (resisting the temptation to fiddle too much 😀), although I'm not sure how much hope I hold out if the dealership technician didn't find anything. Either way, definitely useful to know there's a reset option in there if all else fails.

• 2 weeks later...

We had the same issue with our satellite navigation system. Our dealer informed to update and reinstall the software. I bought the 3 years package through Toyota website and it’s now working well. It’s now on version 6 rather than version 4. We also get 2 updates per year for the navigation system. 

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on this. I had a look at the diagnostics but didn't identify any faults as such. I've only had one weird glitch since my last post, which was that the screen went completely black until I turned the media system off and on again. So no clearer on where the issues lie, but hoping these crashes etc will be few and far between.

One other thing though - I mentioned the following problem:

• Text messages not relayed from phone despite BT connection (always used to be horribly slow, but now just seems it just doesn't happen).

Well I've recently had a change of phone, and now the message does get relayed, but (a) there's quite a delay before it appears on the car screen (this morning's example was 8 minutes from SMS arriving to message appearing on screen), and (b) there is no notification sound at the point the message arrives, either from the car or on the phone itself (whilst connected to the car). Sometimes a journey can be over before I realise I have a new message, which can be a problem if (for example) I'm arranging to meet someone. These problems used to occur with my old phone (which was a completely different model), before it eventually seemed to stop relaying messages altogether.

Has anyone else had this problem with SMS on the Touch 2 system, or does anyone have a current email address for Toyota's multimedia support team? Apparently multimedia@toyota.co.uk is no longer in use, and I prefer not to use web contact forms if possible as I've had too many problems with them in the past (stuff not sending or being lost, no reply, no copy of my query in my mailbox, etc).