Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have You tried other hybrids before buying the Corolla?

nielshm

I'm a bit interested in the Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid and the Corolla. 

They are quite different, DCT vs CVT gearbox. 1.6 liter GDI vs 1.8 liter atkins. 

In Denmark Hyundai have 5 years warranty, Toyota only 3 years. Price tag is the same. Claimed milage is a bit higher in the Hyundai. 

How ever, there are many Corollas out there, but not so many Hyundais. Have you tried other hybrids than the Corolla, and what helped You to make up your mind? 

Hi, the only cool hybrids that are non plug in are Toyota and Lexus, why? The answer is simple: They are nicer to drive and most reliable plus most efficient in real world driving . The combination of these 3 factors make them without real competition imo. I personally will no look at any other make unless I decide to go full electric and here is where Toyota are behind some competition and in the same time ahead of all with their hydrogen car. The fact that Toyota hybrids are the most used cars for private hire and taxi in the world just says it all. Honda and  Hyundai are been an alternative for a long time but they feels different and feedback from drivers not so positive. 

I didn't try any other manufacturers hybrid cars,  it was done on a whim 🙂

Funnily enough, I was exactly the same. 😊 and tbh it never entered my head to consider other than Toyota (I knew I wasn't going to get a Lexus) once I'd decided on hybrid.

• Like 1

I didnt try any that I was going to buy in direct comparison but I have driven friends/family cars in the past. RX450h, IS 300H, CT200H and 2nd gen prius, Yaris Hybrid. I always feel that CVT has been unfairly treated by car reviewers many of whom repeat same same rubbish. For me I enjoy the CVT and there is also the fact that Toyota is known globally for reliability and quality was enough for me to not bother with Hyundai/Kia and of course Lexus is more than I wanted to spend.

• Like 1

I had been waiting for the reincarnation of Honda's Jazz hybrid but when I compared the specs of the CRV against the RAV4 (less powerful, less efficient) it was the final straw that moved me away from Honda after nearly 20 years. It's possible the Jazz will be better but it's taking them a long time to release it. The new Honda system is different again. Below high speed cruising it is always on electric power with the ICE acting merely as a charger. It switches to using the ICE only at higher speeds. It doesn't have a gearbox.

Looked at the hyundai but was put off by the sloping roof over the rear doors and would have customers constantly moaning about banging there heads

The toyota was a nicer drive and I believe over 20 years in the hybrid sector was a better option than Hyundai's limited time with them

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I had been waiting for the reincarnation of Honda's Jazz hybrid but when I compared the specs of the CRV against the RAV4 (less powerful, less efficient) it was the final straw that moved me away from Honda after nearly 20 years. It's possible the Jazz will be better but it's taking them a long time to release it. The new Honda system is different again. Below high speed cruising it is always on electric power with the ICE acting merely as a charger. It switches to using the ICE only at higher speeds. It doesn't have a gearbox.

Reading things online it looks like the new Jazz will be out 2020 some time, its one of the cars that is due to make an appearance at the Tokyo Motor show according to some sites.

14 hours ago, nielshm said:

In Denmark Hyundai have 5 years warranty, Toyota only 3 years.

In the UK, the new car warranty on Hyundai is 5 years/unlimited mileage, and on Toyota 5 years/100,000 miles. So for the majority of new car buyers in the UK, the new car warranties for these two manufacturers are similar.

20 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In the UK, the new car warranty on Hyundai is 5 years/unlimited mileage, and on Toyota 5 years/100,000 miles. So for the majority of new car buyers in the UK, the new car warranties for these two manufacturers are similar.

Toyota have had the same 3 year/60.000 mile warranty for more than 20 years. Back in the old days, Toyotas warranty was quite outstanding, but now things are only average. It's just like the 10.000 mile service interval, nothing changes. 

2 hours ago, nielshm said:

Toyota have had the same 3 year/60.000 mile warranty for more than 20 years.

In Europe, yes. However, Toyota GB introduced a 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty for new vehicles from June 2010, and this same new car warranty applies to new vehicles today.

The 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty was introduced to bolster customer confidence in Toyota products following the accelerator pedal recalls of early 2010, which affected a number of US and  European market models. For Europe these included the Aygo MMT, Auris, Avensis, Corolla, IQ, Verso, Yaris and Rav4.

• Like 1