Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0L Excel HB - thoughts so far

rafletcher

12 hours ago, nielshm said:

By the way, why's the CHR rated with 184 hp and the corolla 180 hp? Not that is makes any difference, but it must be engine or electric motor that's tweaked a bit more.

It was an error noted when the the C-HR gained the 2.0, Corolla is now listed as 184 bhp

I can only achieve 99.99 mpg, the computer won't measure more! I achieved that by resetting the computer at the top of a hill and coasting down! Past the hill, the ICE fired up and reality resumed, with a rapid decent back to 55 mpg by the time I got home.

• Like 1

Couple weeks ago I just done a journey of about 15 miles, engine nice and warm, parked up, bit of shopping for max 20 minutes then started journey home.            
I started off noticing I was automatically on EV mode, Battery had a very good number of bars showing. I was following a L driver, so progress was fairly slow, the road was flat, but managed to get to 30mph for a good part of what was to follow.      
I noticed the mpg for the journey was 199.9mpg, the max it would show. Before the engine kicked in I had travelled 1.2 miles and still showing 199.9 mpg.           
Obviously totally unrepresentative of reality, which shows figures must be truly representative of the journeys taken over a reasonable amount of time/distance. Another time, again with a fully warm engine, I drove 50 miles of A roads and did 96.5 mpg. A fair distance is 50 miles, but again I don’t expect to see 90.5 mpg on every journey...... conditions were very good that day, a very warm summers day, the engine was warm before I started that 50 mile journey.              
During the summer I can regularly achieve high 70’s/low 80’s mpg on most journeys.    This winter, especially on very cold days the mpg can be mid to high 60’s and low 70’s, it’s that much difference between summer and winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I don't see a problem here. We are talking about different measurements. There is a Trip consumption, a tank consumption, lifetime consumption, etc. The car itself can show all of them, not just one global...

I thought that my picture clearly shows my achievement is for a trip only and I never said this is my lifetime mpg.

I don't understand why different types of measurement should be ignored. There are multiple cases where someone might need to know his consumption only for a single trip/tank. Imagine splitting price with passenger or company paying for a business trip to somewhere...They don't care what your lifetime is...only the current one is important.

Hi Nikolay, I am very interested in individual journey maps. I retired now, so lot of my journeys are repeated, unless we going away for a day or on holiday. So I interested in journey myself so I can try to improve some way. I now got to know what sort of journey is going to turn out as good mpg, but surprise myself sometimes like when I did that 50 mile journey at 96.6 mpg. I would have a hard time to better that I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Cruise control with adaptive function enabled, doesn't work in snow. When snow sticks to the front of the car, the system shuts down. 

Only solution is to remove the snow by hand and restart the car. 

Design fault.... 

Design fault - where would you put the sensors.

The system shuts down after 10 minuttes. That's working poorly. It was only light snowfall. 

If only the small area in front of the sensor could be heated like the rear window, maybe time could be extented. 

I very rarely use control control, so whether it works or not on the very few occasions when snow falls in the year does not worry me. All I will say is every bright idea "we" have will be a cost to the vehicle. How many things on a wish list will add up to a few hundred pounds or more. Then someone will say "I dont need all that, I just go and but another manufacturers car that costs less because it doesnt have all these extras I dont need".   Decisions manufacturers have to take all the time when marketing a new vehicle. Its a fine line between what customers want/need and what they prepared to pay for.

I’ve had several cars different manufactures with radar systems on them and the all have had the same issue. Even dried road spray can stop it working. Better that it disables Rather than gives erroneous information, it’s only an aid after all. 

• Like 1

I use CC quite a lot - I even activate for a couple of miles on the way home from work even though that's a single lane road. It comes into its own on the motorway and the addition of radar control was much appreciated. If it doesn't work in snow it wouldn't bother me since I'd probably not use it under those conditions anyway as it would be safer for me to be in control of the pedals.

I would never buy a car without some form of CC as I consider it to be a safety feature for long journeys.

• Like 1

It's amazing how much weather improves or destroyes mpg's. It finally getting better, low wind, no rain, even sunshine. Difference between bad weather and a nice sunny day, at least 15%. I still got my winter tyres on, can't wait to switch to summer tyres. 

• 3 weeks later...

FINALLY - I got my summer tyres fitted.

I've got 50 miles to the dealer, and the car returned 59 mpg on my winter tyres. Pretty got actually.

Driving back home...  65 mpg!!! - and I expect it to get even better as the tyres breaks in.

Mu own conclusion is, that difference between winter and summer tyres is at least 5%. And in my case today 10%

• Like 1

That’s great to hear, 

you have two factors changed weather and tyres. Are you using the same wheels to fit winter tyres or you had bought another set of wheels? I had changed mine but because of temp remain low , still wind and rain here the difference is minimal. 👍

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s great to hear, 

you have two factors changed weather and tyres. Are you using the same wheels to fit winter tyres or you had bought another set of wheels? I had changed mine but because of temp remain low , still wind and rain here the difference is minimal. 👍

It's a different set of wheels, but the same size. Quality tyres, Conti EcoContact 6 and not Falken as many others. I've done 6000 miles so far, and I have been trying every day to to get good mpg's. The very first drive with summer tyres is much better than any personal record so far. Thats quite amazing, and now I can't wait for temps to go up. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The warmer weather makes things a lot better in terms of better mpg.

With 18-20 °C 65-70 mpg's  comes within reach on longer trips, and 60 on a full tank with mixed driving. I'm happy....

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2020 at 5:44 AM, nielshm said:

The warmer weather makes things a lot better in terms of better mpg.

With 18-20 °C 65-70 mpg's  comes within reach on longer trips, and 60 on a full tank with mixed driving. I'm happy....

Yes, what a difference! i was on about 45 in January Feb time, yesterday 65.8! The rural roads do not seem to lend themselves to good economy around here, but a trip out to the woods to see the bluebells and have my daily exercise, brought unexpected economy driving as well.

2 hours ago, Timmon said:

Yes, what a difference! i was on about 45 in January Feb time, yesterday 65.8! The rural roads do not seem to lend themselves to good economy around here, but a trip out to the woods to see the bluebells and have my daily exercise, brought unexpected economy driving as well.

I've been restricting myself to the walks west of Brackley. They are becoming a bit more popular now but you can waste an hour or so in pleasant surroundings without using your car 😉

I have quite the opposite experience 😞

Driving for a week already with the summer tires. Temperatures are also high - 15-22.

But despite these, my urban consumption on one and the same route is the same.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I've been restricting myself to the walks west of Brackley. They are becoming a bit more popular now but you can waste an hour or so in pleasant surroundings without using your car 😉

Yes, we are lucky in Brackley. The lake is just a stones throw from me. I am only using the car to drop off our roads food bank contributions, and food shopping a couple of times a week. It was nice to venture to the woods though. My only leisure trip since the lock down, well worth it for the bluebells. Good for the soul.

2 hours ago, Timmon said:

Yes, we are lucky in Brackley. The lake is just a stones throw from me. I am only using the car to drop off our roads food bank contributions, and food shopping a couple of times a week. It was nice to venture to the woods though. My only leisure trip since the lock down, well worth it for the bluebells. Good for the soul.

I bet. I'm almost right next to the western fields so as long as it stays dry that's my preferred option. I walked to St James Lake a couple of times early in the lock down but it was becoming quite busy. I dread to think what it's like now. At least in the fields I only see two or three couples and there's plenty of space to avoid them.

I've been driving to Tesco for a weekly shop and taking the long way back (along the A43 then back through the Oak Road estate) as a way to try and keep the batteries charged. The run down Humphries Drive does a reasonably good job of putting charge into the hybrid Battery.

Mind you it's occurred to me that I'm going to be using my car a lot less even with the lock down removed. I'm currently working from home as are the rest of my team and I think our boss will struggle to justify us going back into the office. We're clearly at least as productive at home and all of us are preferring it. So with any luck that's 100 miles a week that I won't need to do any more. No more Banbury rush hour. Yay!

Although I like driving and I do miss the more pleasant parts of that drive.

18 hours ago, OXYGEN said:

I have quite the opposite experience 😞

Driving for a week already with the summer tires. Temperatures are also high - 15-22.

But despite these, my urban consumption on one and the same route is the same.

Hi,
same exactly for me, even worse, but I think it’s because of my driving now, once  a week for two short 17 miles motorway trips That’s all. 50mpg 😐. I don’t worry about it too much , I have another passion now and I ride it 10km every day, it is the best toy I could possibly have during lockdown. 👍🛴
Regards 

51F157A3-5285-4FFF-8E41-6621804630C5.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OXYGEN said:

Nice ride Tony.

I started with m365, but then upgraded to:

https://electric-scooter.guide/reviews/zero-9-review/

That’s a proper toy 👍, at least you have plenty options where to enjoy it, here in UK we are very limited, plus they are not officially legal yet. I am driving it like a Prius slow so not much of a attention. 
Regards 🛴

• Like 1