Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Add On Alarm for Catalytic Converter

Ram Rao

Recently had my Catalytic Converter stolen and after waiting for a long time got them installed by insurance repairers. I am getting a Catloc installed , in addition to that is it possible to add some kind of loud alarm deterrent when someone lifts the car or touches the catloc component ( Basically make it difficult to steal without creating a scene ) ? .

Toyota / Third Part/ Ali Express kind of ideas welcome. 

Replace the CAT with straight pipe (bolt on), and install CAT when going for MOT.

• Like 1

I added a tilt sensor to the factory alarm on my Auris Hybrid (goes off it's jacked up). I used the method and parts listed in the video below (except for using piggy back fuses for the live & switched live rather than directly tapping the wires). 

Using a bolt-on straight pipe until you can get a replacement cat like Furtula says would be an option.

20 hours ago, Rob2012 said:

Using a bolt-on straight pipe until you can get a replacement cat like Furtula says would be an option.

I susppect that it is technically illegal to use on the road though.

18 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

I susppect that it is technically illegal to use on the road though.

"A person using (or causing or permitting to be used) a vehicle on the public road, which does not comply with the emissions standards it was designed to meet, is committing an offence." 

Well illegal but will keep you on the road while waiting for a new cat. Is it not illegal thieves to still from us? Everything is legal until or unless authorities catch you, so idea is not only useful but lifesaver too. It is going to be a little smelly just like you drive behind an older petrol car. 👍🤫

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Well illegal but will keep you on the road while waiting for a new cat. Is it not illegal thieves to still from us? Everything is legal until or unless authorities catch you, so idea is not only useful but lifesaver too. It is going to be a little smelly just like you drive behind an older petrol car. 👍🤫

The problem in this country is Criminals have rights under British law and  victims don't 😡😡

• Like 2

Yes, it's illegal, but so is stealing your cat, and i don't know what your police does there, catalyst stealing gangs are long gone in central EU..

Does the millitary have DPF filters on all those tanks, lorries and other gas guzzlers they have? They just like to preach and collect the money.

Besides, i doubt police will lie under a car to check your exhaust system, yes they might send you to MOT station, but those are very small odds.

• Like 2

Nobody will ever find out that your car at any one moment has its cat off and a straight pipe fitted unless they go under the car, if it is a boy racers car ok police may pull you over and check but in a hybrid, no way this will ever happen. 

• Like 1

All this talk of emissions, I wonder if planes flying over the ultra low emissions zone have cats or any sort of low emissions gizmos fitted. Easy pickings blame the motorist and make them pay.

• Like 2

How many people blank their EGR's or remove the DPF rather than fix/ replace them?  I am not saying it's right but if someone stole your cat and you had a potential wait of over a month not being able to use your car until Toyota could replace it then I imagine it would be tempting to 'temporarily' bolt on a section of pipe?  Personally I would go with a cheaper third party Cat section replacement.

Best option would be if the police had the resources to nick the thieves in the first place.

• Like 1

Just so long as he is aware of possible ramifications. Small chance I know but if he were to have a crash in the meantime & they examined his vehiclle, discovered it then his insurance would be null & void & he would then be done for driving without insurance ...

6 hours ago, furtula said:

Does the millitary have DPF filters on all those tanks, lorries and other gas guzzlers they have? They just like to preach and collect the money.

Actually, for those that they are required to they do. The military is not exempt from environmental legislation.