Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Yaris 1.3 sudden increase in fuel consumption

Annie Joubert

I have owned my Toyota Yaris 1.3 from new since 2012. For the last few weeks I've noticed the fuel consumption dropping from 400 miles to a tank to just over 320 miles. I've had the local garage look at it today and they've been unable to find a reason for it - diagnostics appear ok. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Cold weather, car takes longer to heat up to operating temperature, using more fuel. You will notice a drop in MPG, especially if you do a lot of shorter trips.

• Like 2

Could be a number of things. Checked your tyre pressures lately? Clipped any kerbs/ potholes and knocked the wheel alignment out. Does the car feel the same, acceleration etc?

• Like 1

Do you notice any loss in power?

Service history?  Have the plugs been changed recently? And the air filter? Are the brakes binding  (those are my GoTo questions for this type of question)

Mileage?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone's replies. It was indeed front brakes binding and meant new discs and pads and £255 - ouch but glad it's sorted. Love the car I've had it from new.