Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4th generation Toyota Yaris: Introduction; TNGA; Interior and Safety

FROSTYBALLS

This one looks really good, competition is enormous in that category with new corsa and 208 around the corner but in hybrid version will be a real deal. 

I prefer the existing look in bi-tone. This looks just like a Ford Ka to me. But that wouldn't put me off if the doors open wide and the seating height is still relatively high. Our current Icon Hybrid is,  frankly a fantastic car, now almost 5 years old. It has not had a single fault and with it retaining its £20 tax there isn't a lot of incentive to change yet as it is not our long journey car but my wife's (and mine) short journey runaround. Of course it has a good deal more modern tech in it which will be nice and will get Android/iPhone mirroring. (Hooray!)  The 4 miles on EV only and 75mph on EV (for 20 secs?!) sounds brilliant. But I believe the new Renault Captur hybrid (non-plugin) will have even more EV mileage. To me this is a fantastic thing and the way forward because burning no fuel on all those winter school and shopping runs in a small car will be brilliant, especially for in town air pollution reduction.

Update after reading the AutoExpress link:-  Oh dear "You sit lower in this Yaris - the ‘hip point’ of the driver’s seat is 36mm lower than the previous car’s " I'm afraid that's done it for us. This is the big attraction for "older" people or those with mobility issues. The current version is great for getting in and out and better than most hatchbacks including my Audi A3. You wonder if the designers do any market research with existing owners to get their views! I mean I don't see you average Yaris owner saying I want it to be wider with lower seats and less leg room in the back but the same size boot !! There is rumour of an SUV version in the future so we will have to wait a couple of years.

• Like 3

Looks good especially from the rear, hopefully it has improved handling and the standard editions are good enough to not have to jump up the range to a GR edition. 

8 hours ago, Eddie G said:

Looks good especially from the rear, hopefully it has improved handling and the standard editions are good enough to not have to jump up the range to a GR edition. 

I'm not massively keen on it yet tbh, I'm sure It'll grow on me. I do like the fact they've changed the auto gear selector inline with the CH-r and Corolla.

It'll be nice to see what the Gr's will look like, although I can't see them releasing them yet as the car isn't due till late 2020.

In all fairness, I'm not that fussed about the future one as my current spec GR-Sport gets delivered tomorrow:biggrin::yahoo:

Alan

19 hours ago, dcweather said:

Update after reading the AutoExpress link:-  Oh dear "You sit lower in this Yaris - the ‘hip point’ of the driver’s seat is 36mm lower than the previous car’s " I'm afraid that's done it for us. This is the big attraction for "older" people or those with mobility issues. The current version is great for getting in and out and better than most hatchbacks including my Audi A3. You wonder if the designers do any market research with existing owners to get their views! I mean I don't see you average Yaris owner saying I want it to be wider with lower seats and less leg room in the back but the same size boot !! 

I had similar thoughts. Strange that a Japanese company should not be considering the needs of an aging population more as generally they are way ahead of us re. the elderly.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dcweather said:

To me this is a fantastic thing and the way forward because burning no fuel on all those winter school and shopping runs in a small car will be brilliant, especially for in town air pollution reduction.

Unless they do a PHEV version, cabin heating and Battery charging uses the petrol motor so fuel will be used in winter. Then again, there will be the odd trip that can be done pollution 'free', if you dress up warm and use just the heated seats and steering wheel with no cabin heating - you might get a few miles as long as the screen doesn't mist/freeze up.

1 hour ago, Mike J. said:

Unless they do a PHEV version, cabin heating and battery charging uses the petrol motor so fuel will be used in winter. Then again, there will be the odd trip that can be done pollution 'free', if you dress up warm and use just the heated seats and steering wheel with no cabin heating - you might get a few miles as long as the screen doesn't mist/freeze up.

Generally regenerative charging is good in stop start short journeys but of course in extreme circumstances you might burn some petrol although even with current model we still get a percentage of EV only, in cold conditions. I suspect it will still do a couple of miles and the heater in our Yaris warms up quicker than any car i have had before. I'm glad the heater in your non-hybrid car warms up instantly so you can go out in winter in your shorts and tee shirt.

Agree Alan new Auto Shifter looks better, enjoy the GR fantastic car for everyday use and on the country lanes 👍

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dcweather said:

I'm glad the heater in your non-hybrid car warms up instantly so you can go out in winter in your shorts and tee shirt.

Its a hybrid and I gave up t-shirts years ago. FWIW, I have just 'told' my car to be snug and warm for a 6am start tomorrow - which is nice. If my old Yaris had this facility I would still have it - they are great urban cars.

8 hours ago, Eddie G said:

Agree Alan new Auto Shifter looks better, enjoy the GR fantastic car for everyday use and on the country lanes 👍

Thanks pal, the dealer sent me a photo of the front end on Monday and I got quite excited. 

I’ll make a new post later today once it’s here with some photos 😀

Alan

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 6:29 PM, Heidfirst said:

I had similar thoughts. Strange that a Japanese company should not be considering the needs of an aging population more as generally they are way ahead of us re. the elderly.

Yep, and I came a cropper with the 4th Gen Prius upsetting my hips big time.  I had hoped to keep it until I'm forced to stop driving by some worsening health issues, but the agony got too extreme and was causing other problems with back and knees because of the strain I put on them getting out and out while trying to minimise the pain!  A far cry from the original Gen 1 Prius that had such a high hip point the brochure had a diagram showing how it made for easy entry and exit!

My GP practice's Physio team said it was becoming a very concerning and widespread problem as more cars get lower while manufacturers try to improve CO2 and other emissions.  Two people I know had had to change their choice of car too, one had a 2012 Auris and was going to get a new one a couple of year ago, and didn't even want to get into the demonstrator for a test.  He now had an SUV too.

• Like 1

^^It looks there will be feature for easier entry, but unknown if European version will have this feature

Also being offered on a Toyota model for the first time are Turn Tilt Seats (shown above). A mechanism in the front seats makes it easy for the driver and front passenger enter and exit the car by rotating the seat and tilting it. This facilitates entering and exiting the vehicle by passengers wearing a skirt or kimono and supports those with back pain or low muscle strength.

Link to full article: Mod edit - already linked in first post of this topic

Some good info and downloadable pictures - looks like a HUD option is available - probably not for the UK, same as the 1.5kW output that the Japanese find useful during (frequent?) electricity blackouts. Nice 4WD axle picture - no spare wheel space with this option?

Will there be a pre-heat option ….???

I asked official Toyota seller in Slovenia(EU) about when Yaris will be buyable/orderable they said it will be September 2020 prices will be known 1 month earlier 

The car looks good. I hope the tilt&turn seats are at least an option in Europe (sometimes depends more on the importer/local TMC company than on TMC HQ). I understand the people that prefer higher cars but for them there's the CH-R and RAV-4. And maybe Toyota design a BH-R if they want to compete with Captur, Juke, 2008, T-Roc, etc.

A wider car keeping the total length but increasing the wheelbase will mean better handling and increased interior space (including legroom for the backseat passengers, don't know why someone mentioned the opposite).

The 1.5 Dynamic Force engine is like a M20A-F_S with less one cylinder and that's great as the M20A it is a great engine, combining high output with high efficiency (something thought impossible some years ago). In the non hybrid version (FKS) one should expect about 120-130hp and the hybrid (FXS) will deliver about 80-100hp for a combined hybrid system power of 115hp (15% higher than the present model). Fuel consumption said to be less 20%, meaning a WLTP combined average of 3,8!  On top of that, the hybrid system has been tuned to enable ev mode on an average 80% of real city driving time, from tests in several European cities. Hey, but that's just me that get excited with this tech issues... I drive a Corolla TS with the M20A-FXS and I am very happy with it, great response and frugal enough for the fun (and safe) it delivers so I can just back Toyota's option to pack all the current technology to this smaller engine.

• Like 1

^i belive  lithium-ion hybrid Battery helped with this up to 80% ev mode in city becouse of faster charging and they are more powerful

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lovec1990 said:

^i belive  lithium-ion hybrid battery helped with this up to 80% ev mode in city becouse of faster charging and they are more powerful

They're lighter for the same capacity. That's why the Corolla 1.8 versions have Li-Ion and the 2.0l have NiMH as they can handle the extra weight better with the extra hp.

• Like 1