Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rain water getting into the boot

DizzyDi

Hi all

I’ve had my Toyota Aygo since around 2011 (made in 2008) and on and off I’ve had problems with rainwater getting in through the back windows, making the back seats wet and also water sitting in my spare wheel area, also making the material in the boot wet.  My car was recently was recalled to have the seals on the back windows replaced so I was hoping this would help.  However, today I’ve noticed the back seats are wet again and there is water sitting around my spare tyre.  

Is this a common or known problem or unique to my car?  If anyone else has had this problem, how did you rectify it please?

Thank you in advance for any help.

DizzyDi

Could be from the high level rear brake light.

I had the problem of the boot carpet getting wet after rain. This turned out to be coming from the high level rear brake light. People suggest using silicon sealant. You can't get the seal on it's own so I bought the complete unit for £30 with, supposedly, an updated seal. This worked perfectly and the boot is now dry. Neater and quicker than messing around with sealant.🙂

I also had this on my Aygo Mk1.

I recently had the water in the wheel well, and also on the raised bit each side of the wheel well. I have cleaned up and resealed the usual culprits - High level brake light, rear lights, rear vents behind the bumper, and the hatch bump stops, cleaned the hatch glass and seal and applied silicone to the seal.

All this ultimately stopped the majority of the water - I now had none above the wheel well, but I occasionally still got around an half an egg cup full in the wheel well after rain, but not every time. I re-checked everything and it all looked good.

Baffled, so today, whilst raining I sat in the back of the car with the seats down and inspected every area of the back panel that I could get to. What I found was where the boot lock comes through, there is a very slow drip now and again. Looks like the bumper is going to have to come off again to seal the lock against the body.

QU-be4wTSirdRqn7uLIbrX5_j5zs11_pKFXCz9Be

sorry, looks like the image link didn't work.

trying again...

SaRr6sX.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi I thought I’d give an update...took my Aygo to a Toyota garage where they did a water test, turns out the water is getting several places and they’ve quoted £585 to fix it all.  As my Aygo is over 10 years old I’m planning on buying a new car as it’s not really worth spending that amount on it.  Seems like everyone I know who has an Aygo has a problem with water getting into the boot, it’s really not good enough for them to be made like this.  When you buy a car you expect it to be watertight! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DizzyDi said:

Hi I thought I’d give an update...took my Aygo to a Toyota garage where they did a water test, turns out the water is getting several places and they’ve quoted £585 to fix it all.  As my Aygo is over 10 years old I’m planning on buying a new car as it’s not really worth spending that amount on it.  Seems like everyone I know who has an Aygo has a problem with water getting into the boot, it’s really not good enough for them to be made like this.  When you buy a car you expect it to be watertight! 

Hi

Sorry to hear about your water ingress woes there.

Several places you mention..hmmm..did they point out which locations exactly?

From what the forumsters have reported over the years...its the usual culprits;

-highlevel brake light

-rear light seals

-those black stopper thingys on body that the rear glass sit on I think

-and rarely but possible the rear glass hinges

I havent heard of leaky locks etc

BTW guys...do these 2008 I.e 1st gen have vents behind the rear bumper? I can only imagine how hard removing the bumper is...I tried once ..no chance! Couldnt get it to.unclip from the brackets even after bolt etc was removed!

Hi yes we got all the info, it’s just not worth me spending that amount on it unfortunately.

Regarding the bumper, Someone clipped the right hand side of mine a few months ago and it pinged off!  Needed a whole new bumper / back panel!

Guys, my boot was more sodden than ever before this morning, the carpet was so soaked it's still dripping eventhough I've had it on my radiator half the day!

Anyway...made efforts to strip my boot down today...removed the side carpet panels and boot liner, wiped everything down from tyre well to each corner, and then installed my new high level brake light from my dealership  fingers crossed it solves my issue, considering the seals on my rear light units look as new, and the water in my boot well is equal both sides, It has to be the high level light, the old seal on the old unit looked a mess. Once again, fingers crossed

On 12/23/2019 at 8:40 PM, DizzyDi said:

Hi yes we got all the info, it’s just not worth me spending that amount on it unfortunately

Where are the points, do you have someone that can set to work on the sealant and save some money?

14 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Guys, my boot was more sodden than ever before this morning, the carpet was so soaked it's still dripping eventhough I've had it on my radiator half the day!

Anyway...made efforts to strip my boot down today...removed the side carpet panels and boot liner, wiped everything down from tyre well to each corner, and then installed my new high level brake light from my dealership  fingers crossed it solves my issue, considering the seals on my rear light units look as new, and the water in my boot well is equal both sides, It has to be the high level light, the old seal on the old unit looked a mess. Once again, fingers crossed

Put some talcum around where you think the water gets in.  It'll show water run marks.

I recently ran a bead of silicon around the high level brake light and do far so good. Wasn't prepared to pay £30 for a new light. 

Update, since installing my new high level brake light, I have been waiting for the rains, and last night it finally came, and I am glad to say my boot was dry to the bone, however, I took her for a thorough car was today...still dry inside, fingers crossed all is ok for now. I went about reinstalling my boots trims and carpets, all cleaned fresh and new again.

Cheers again guys n girls for all your input 

• 2 weeks later...

Prior to Aygo had Peugeot 107 - same problem in heavy rain. Also had to take towels to car wash as doors leaked also.