Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 RAV4 (Petrol) - Traction Control & Engine Management Lights

GTB.photographic

Driving to our local Toyota dealer to have the Airbag recall dealt with, both the traction control and engine management lights came on simultaneously. Both now seem to be a permanent fixture, although there is no noticeable difference in driving performance, handling or even sound. Toyota obviously wanted a ridiculous amount of money to even think about diagnosing the issues (and would charge for each diagnosis separately too) - the car has already had far more spent on it since we got it last October than is either sensible or sustainable (new fuel tank, new fuel filler pipe, new discs, pads & calipers all round, new bushes at the back, new handbrake cable, new Battery, new wipers, new aerial...) to make that worthwhile & we've taken the car off the road for the moment (SORN) as the MOT has now expired. 

Any idea what could cause the simultaneous warning lights (I guess that each of the warning lights on their own could be caused by a multitude of issues, but I'm hoping that the combination of both might be a little easier to pinpoint - and fix). Is it likely to be a cheap fix, or am I likely to be better off looking to sell the moneypit (as it is currently referred to in our house) for spares or repair?

Thanks in advance

As per the title, the vehicle is a 2004 Petrol RAV4 (Manual, 5 Door)  

I had exactly the same, and was advised that it was caused by an excess of very gentle driving, so I gave it an "Italian tune-up" by driving it for 5 or 6 miles in 2nd gear at 3 to 4,000 rpm.  Problem solved - see this thread.

• Like 1

Sounds like it could be worth a try, although as the car is SORNed & without an MOT, I guess I'll be limited to revving it for a while on the drive instead. Any idea whether that is likely to have the same effect?

I doubt it will work as well, because the engine will not be doing sufficient work to get the temperatures up to burn off the combustion products which are causing the issue.  I would make an appointment for an MoT at a suitably distant garage, and do the necessary as you drive it there.  It will need the trouble code cleared to extinguish the lamp, and the Italian tune-up should prevent it returning.

• Thanks 1

Why not get yourself a code reader and plug that in and see what the faults are , may just be a o2 sensor which at around £90 for a denso one and you can change yourself . Code reader from eBay £10-£15 well worth having one . Petrol Ravs are so reliable normally only a o2 sensor if anything.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I have 2007 D4d avensis, i also get trc vsc and engine lights on, if i take some sensor cable of, it doesn't mind is it Map, Maf sensor coolant sensor etc.. The fault code is c1201 something To communication etc, check Your connectors if they are loose etc?
Example photo where coolant sensor is plugged of. 50a1d3200c6f0f785f5c724647e237f9.jpg

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

• 1 year later...

Just for the record, after sitting on the drive for a few months, the RAV4 started up with no warning lights (the Battery had been flat for a while & was recharged etc first), but the lights have been gone ever since. 

12 hours ago, GTB.photographic said:

Just for the record, after sitting on the drive for a few months, the RAV4 started up with no warning lights (the battery had been flat for a while & was recharged etc first), but the lights have been gone ever since. 

So you could have read the codes, cleared them and investigated the issue months ago for under as little as £4, but instead you decided to let the new Battery you had just complained about the cost of fully discharge and the car sit for months instead? Generally, if a car is into it’s teenage years and has done 5-6x round the equator, it’s not unreasonable to expect to have to deal with service items/consumables and the odd part failure. Heck many of the cars you have photographed (borderline soft core carnography) would struggle to do half that without failures totalling obscene amounts 😉 Invest in some form of OBD reader, they start at £4 delivered (+ a free/cheap phone app) and will work on any modern car, and much like an extra pair of hands with the reflector, invaluable in situations like this.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:39 AM, Avalon said:

So you could have read the codes, cleared them and investigated the issue months ago for under as little as £4, but instead you decided to let the new battery you had just complained about the cost of fully discharge and the car sit for months instead? 

Pretty much - although it was a bit of a sore point (finances have not been great & my wife, the owner of the RAV4, didn't want to spend anything else on it, despite that meaning that the car would just sit & rot & devalue itself for the sake of less than £20...) - to be fair, she's not the greatest decision maker when it comes to her car though... And she's a Northern Dragon (I can safely say that here as she'll never see it) who works in a funeral directors, so my life would be forfeit if I disobeyed (and she has means to dispose of the body too). I still haven't lived down the fact that I got myself a car (of similar age and mileage to the RAV4) at the same time...