Do Not Sell My Personal Information

replace Valve Cover Gasket Toyota corolla 2004 E12

assadtariq

I have toyota corolla 2004 E12 hatchback and found out that oil is present on the side of the engine where spark plugs are present. I believe that Valve cover gasket is leacking. I am plannning to do it my self, wanted know is tricky to fix it? if not what steps i need to follow to replace it, is there any thing that i need to consider before starting and during whole project. 

Hi,

If you see this post it details how to do it.

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/187114-rocker-cover-gasket-tsport/?tab=comments#comment-1493724

However you might first want to try just carefully and evenly tightening up all the covers nuts and see if that cures the problem.

Have you checked down the spark plug tubes as the oil can leak into there as well and cause problems, though that can be a problem as sometimes the ignition coils can stick and be very difficult to remove, so take care and do not force things.

The Haynes diy service manual is also details it and lots of other diy servicing for most petrol and diesel models.

Hi!

from the post is seams quite straightforward to carry out the change. I'll also check the Haynes DIY manual for it.

recently I replaced the spark plugs, it was at that moment I found one  sparkplug covered with oil. Rest of the three were clean. 

Do i need to tight even if the oil has leaked into the sparkplug area? I assume the seals inside have worn out!

20191016_163336.thumb.jpg.14b705630d01811330520f6d5344ceda.jpg this was was covered with oil when removed 

Rest of the three look like this 

20191016_163325.thumb.jpg.ee2bd549b973fdc4e9f1fb80f8e22370.jpg 

Hi,

That looks like a serious leak onto the plug and if its also leaking out onto the side of the engine, think it suggests a new gasket is needed.

Am no expert, but the plug colour looks like its running quiet lean, mine are typically an even brown colour, yours looks quiet white.

If you google " spark plug colour chart " you can see plenty of examples.

What cc engine have you got  ?

Hi,

Its 1.4 vvt-i (ZZE120L-AHMDKW)engine. 

I have not experienced the issue of overheating of the car, the temperature needle has not passed the middle mark. 

Isn't  the air& petrol mix automatically done in this version of the car? Can there be some other issue is causing the the it to be too lean?

Perhaps just  me noticing  things,  might just be an effect of the photo making it look a lighter colour than it really is.

If the engine is running ok and it passes the mot then doubt you have a problem.

• Thanks 1