Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Expected life of disks and brake pads?

nielshm

My Auris is in for it's 65000 mile service next week. 

The mechanic said it was very impressive that original brake part had lasted that long. And maybe, just maybe, it could avoid replacement until 75000 mile service. 

I recall my old 2004 Corolla. Nothing lasted more than 40.000 miles, and at every service some part needed replacement due to wear and tear. It seems that Toyota has improved quite a bit, making ownership less expensive. 

• Like 1

I changed my pads and disks around 50k purely due to corrosion and scoring.  The pads had plenty of life left it them but this may be down to being a hybrid.  I used to own Vauxhall's and seemed to have spend every other weekend fixing them!

• Like 1

My 2014 Auris Touring has just had a dealer service @ 62K, and the report said that I had 8mm left on my front pads and 9mm left on the rears. All these pads (and discs) were the originals. Quite impressive. :cool:

Then again, half my mileage is on the motorway, and I rarely do any city driving. Driving style is paramount in these matters.

• 2 weeks later...

Service has been completed. Rear brakes can last until 75.000 mile, front brakes until 85.000 miles. 

Very impressive, and a superb dealer that only changes parts when it's needed. 

Depends where you live.

I live in Sheffield, loads of hills and steep streets whereas if I lived in the flatlands of East Anglia I would expect my brakes to last longer.  Also depends on driving style as well so too many variables.

• Like 2

It is also affected by amount of use the car gets and type of braking.

I recently read a post (somewhere) from a US owner with over 200,000 miles on original discs and pads.

A Gen 3 Prius I had from 2012 to 2016 had less than a quarter wear at 60k when I sold it, and my last Gen 4 sold at 40k showed the same very low wear.  I try to plan ahead to get the best regen energy recovery, as well as smooth and comfortable progress.  Since Gen 3 Prius, Toyota Hybrids have had a Hybrid System Indicator which I use to good effect (plus in the Gen 3/4 Prius the HSI is visible in the Head Up Display) to help get max regen and min brake wear.

I know another owner whose brakes were fine at 100,000 on a Gen 2 Prius when he sold it (although his was garaged, unlike mine).

My last Gen 1 Prius (2002-2011) had minimal wear showing as the car reached 70k, but then for a year I used a company Prius and mine only got driven once every week or two, and then usually for short journeys.  The rust was the killer, and the brakes were very noisy with grinding sounds and all the discs/pads needed replacing within the next 10k miles.  The car was then used daily until I sold it at 9 years old with 163k and the discs/pads were still well under half used.  This car was not garaged either.

From 2007-2011 I was manager of a fleet of Prius London minicabs (about 40 cars when I started and nearly 300 when I left), and some (but by no means all) drivers managed to wear out their brakes from using them enough in slow traffic (earlier generations only used the disc brakes below 7 mph, later versions from 5 mph) and hard enough above that to use the disc brakes as well as the regen.

• Like 1

Same here, AURIS hybrid 85000 miles since change and more than a half life in them, the original discs were badly corroded due to a lack of use. I do clean and lube once or twice a year, driving more than average but for anyone driving average miles or less every two years service and brakes may well last the life of the car.