Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blue smoke not all the time

Aisty palmer

Bought a t180 d4d 2 weeks ago and I have noticed today that when you take off from traffic lights or accelerate away in 2nd or 3rd gear there is a plume of blue smoke is this a turbo-problem  it is a  2008 2.2. D4d t180 with 85k full Toyota history , Plus it does not do it all the time  

Hi

My diesel is the older 2.0 engine and I get some serious dust out of the back if I give it some welly and that does look a little like smoke, so please excuse the question but are you sure it's blue smoke?

If you are sure, I believe blue smoke is a sign of oil being burnt so I'd start checking your oil level regularly to see how quickly it is getting consumed. I'd also be inclined to change it to check it has the correct grade. I have read you can use a slightly higher viscosity (still in line with what's in the hand book) but sometimes a slightly thicker oil will help if the issue is worn piston rings.

And yes a quick google suggest it could be the turbo but I have no personal experience of that so can't comment.

Good luck

You can get an oil additive, it’s like treacle coming out the tin , may help 

• 11 months later...

ive got the same problem, ive checked my turbo its not that so that leads me to piston seals or fuel injector seals, sometimes mine feels like its missing a beat but no loss of power, im gonna do a oil change and the seals on injectors, ill update on the outcome