Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Avensis Tourer head rest malfunction?

cluvie

Hi guys..the drivers head rest on my 2010 tourer keeps popping everytime i sit into the car. Is this normal? The car has 180000 miles. Would it be that the seat is worn from use? Its the front half of the headrest that pops forward. I am aware of the active head restraint system..any insights much appreciated. Thanks

Does the passenger side restraint act in the same manner? Mine is a 2007-8 so I don't think I have the same active system to compare with.

Thats a good question Paul9 thanks for input and no it actually doesnt and to sit into that seat it feels more padded/supportive. So i take from that its just wear and tear on the seat unless anyone can tell me different?

It could be that the mounting points in the seat are broken, in which case you need a new one. Or is it only the pad moving and not the supports?

Its definitely just the pad on the front of the headrest. When you sit into it my lower back pushes into the seat and the headrest pops

I am not sure what you mean by '.the drivers head rest on my 2010 tourer keeps popping everytime i sit into the car.', but it's obvious something is broken. I have a 2009 T27 Tourer with less than half the mileage, and the seats and headrest are all fine. I think you need to replace the driver's seat! This may not be easy, as the seat needs to match the one you are replacing. 
I assume the car is/was used as a taxi or company car? 

• Thanks 1

If you push into the seatback Konrad with your lower back does the headrest pop forward? She was hackney ( local ) for 2 years only. Thxs

I just sat into a 2012 saloon high miler and shes exactly the same so it is wear on the backrest

My seat seems solid with hardly any noticeable movement. Everything is fairly solid. My car is at close 86,000 miles 2009 '58 plate T27 Tourer. It's had an easy life and I am the second owner.
Here is a schematic of the seat.
AVENSIS |  FRONT SEAT SEAT TRACK

You might see in for can replace the following parts - 71930A 

image.thumb.png.40f93d0861fbae0412cfad0f97a33c41.png

Not sure how you will go about this. If the seat are bad, then as I mentioned in my previous reply, replace the seat.  

• Thanks 1

Ive just pulled into an upholstery guy and he tells me very common issues with the Avensis. He will rebuild both front seats for 200e. I will let ye know how i get on

• Like 1

I would check the prices on eBay and in the scrapyards for replacements before looking at the rebuild, but hopefully the upholsterer has had experience with this and can do a good job for you.

• Thanks 1

I could get 2 seats from a scrappie for 150e but who knows what state they wouldve been in plus the hassle of re moving and refitting. I know from experience these jobs are seldom straight forward. Im picking up the car shortly so we will see!!

For anybody following this thread.. he done an amazing job on the seats. All padding replaced or reinforced. Its like new car. For me anyway well worth the money. Repadding the backrests has absolutely solved my issue. The active head restraint system works as its supposed to and its not popping everytime i sit into the car! Happy days

• Like 1

If it wasn't costing more than the car was worth, I would look into that myself, lol. In the meantime, I'm off to look at a suspiciously cheap Prius. 🤔

You know yourself dude you get what ya pay for lol. Keep us posted 

Yeah, one of the numbers was missing from the price placard. I thought that was the case. Possibly a deliberate attempt to get people into the dealership, if used car salesmen were tricksy like that, lol. Maybe I'll tidy up the Avensis and get some scrapyard seats. 😉

Ya for sure why not 😉 Just make sure theyre better than whats coming out lol

The ones I have are actually pretty good, but the driver side is very tatty and needs reupholstered. Ex-taxi.

Mine is too. Well she was hackneyed for 2 yrs. If your keeping it id recommend doing it. Just for your own pleasure!