Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 4.2 rear low speed chuf chuf noise and rear random rattle at deceleration

Jammacat

Hi everyone, good Monday to you.  Please could anyone shed any suggestions about these problems, I think they are two seperate issues 🤔 

Following my proud purchase last year of my 3 door Tonka Toy, it has had a beautiful rust removal and protection underneath of most importantly, the framework, and main parts over the summer. 

It developed a chuf chuf noise at low speeds starting out. I realise it may be rust rubbing off but it was never a problem for the first 6 months of having the car at the same driving intervals. 

I have tried to address the probken by driving and breaking to clear it but it returns very proudly the next day. 

My mechanic has checked the many things he spent a lot of time to carefully removal rust and paint protect over the summer done in stages. It was a fabulous job. I have no trust issues with my mechanic and the photos were wonderful. 

Parts were removed and rust treated and then replaced but I don't want to assume one has anything to do with the other. 

The noise is only noticable at low speeds, during driving not during breaking. I might park for an hour and it returns, it is a soft sound like a steam train, chuf chuf chuf at the back I think. 

I gently tried the handbreak at around 5mph there is a squeek then. 

Also on deceleration at low speed there is a rattle again in the rear as if something loose in the back I've checked the obvious bits and bobs that could be to blame. 

Also very odd but the rear passenger side sits around an inch higher to look at it it looks obvious but measuring just over an inch on the flat. The tyre and wheel arch gap there still looks high to me and odd. I dont kniw of it was always like that or I suddenly just noticed it one day.

Im sure these are all simple problems it is booked in for the 14th November so if no replies and we find the solution I shall post up. Chuff chuff (rubbing) noises and rattles are surprisingly annoying but I've no idea of their significance. 

If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate your thoughts💡🙂, I've looked through a couple of past posts. 

The chuff chuff noise, could it possibly be the brake caliper being stuck and the pad's making that noise on the disc's, in my experience the brake calipers being seized makes those type of noise's,. putting your hand on each of the rear wheels after a journey and see are they excessively warm due to the brake pad being pushed against the disc constantly, or maybe a worn rear shock absorber or broken spring is possible or worn out drop link bar. If any of these are the culprit none should not be an expensive problem to cure. Good luck

• Thanks 1

I don't know that it's the same noise, but I had something that turned out to be rusted covers over the rear brake disks.  They rot and eventually fall off.  They are not necessary, and can be removed (they are attached to the handbrake drums so very expensive to replace, and not worth it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, IanML said:

I don't know that it's the same noise, but I had something that turned out to be rusted covers over the rear brake disks.  They rot and eventually fall off.  They are not necessary, and can be removed (they are attached to the handbrake drums so very expensive to replace, and not worth it.

Thanks Ian the dust covers were only surface corrosion and rubbed down and painted while on the hub the front were corroded so I had them replaced. But it does seem to be coming from the back. Thank you for your thoughts, I was surprised when I saw them, they are so thin and yes the price is nuts to replace the back ones. 

11 hours ago, Ant-Rav said:

The chuff chuff noise, could it possibly be the brake caliper being stuck and the pad's making that noise on the disc's, in my experience the brake calipers being seized makes those type of noise's,. putting your hand on each of the rear wheels after a journey and see are they excessively warm due to the brake pad being pushed against the disc constantly, or maybe a worn rear shock absorber or broken spring is possible or worn out drop link bar. If any of these are the culprit none should not be an expensive problem to cure. Good luck

Thank you for all your suggestions Ant Rav I shall go for a long trip and check the tyres. Do you always buy Toyota OEM parts?  Do you know if there alternatives for the Mk2s? 

If the brake caliper is ceased it should be able to be freed up by ur mechanic. If a shock or spring was causing ur jeep to be lower at one corner, then their are lots of brand new parts to be bought cheaper than Toyota own brand which would be very expensive.  And thats what i would be purchasing.  Ur mechanic will keep u right. 

• Thanks 1

Funny thing is OEM rear shocks were replaced just last year as a pair, only one had broken. 

My mechanic can't see what the problem is why the rear passenger side is so high. It does look quite pronounced. It is unusual for him to be stumpt. I feel a bit reluctant to drive it often or far like it. I just wondered if there is some quirk of this model that may be the reason. I know that while rust repair a lot of parts were removed and replaced he did a very through job. I wondered hoped it might come to someone's mind. A trip to the main dealer has come to mind but I'd like to avoid that if possible. 

The shocks don't set the height - that is done by the springs.  Chances are one of the rear springs is not correctly seated (top or bottom, but probably the bottom).  Probably all it needs is to jack the car up enough to remove the weight from the spring on the high side, than waggle/rotate it a bit and you should be able to feel it shift into place.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Ian. Clearly I know nothing about what affects ride height thanks for putting me right.  I will suggest that for my mechanic. He is so sought after and so busy that it is understandable to miss small things sometimes.