Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New owner of Auris sr180 with few probs!

Neilsauris

Just bought my wife an auris 2007 sr180 d4d. Firstly what exactly does D-cat mean? or is it that obvious?

The elec sunroof is faulty. It clicks when you operate the button but only kind of opens at one end causing to tilt one side. Luckily it closes again. Anyone have experience with these?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

An extract from Toyota Media:

"The new 2.2 D-4D Clean Power engine uses the revolutionary Toyota D-CAT system, which renders the high-performance engine the cleanest diesel power unit in the world in terms of combined nitrogen oxides (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) emissions.

D-CAT features a Diesel Particulate NOx Reduction (DPNR) four-way catalyst, the only system in the world which simultaneously reduces NOx and PM via the combination of a NOx-reduction catalyst and a particulate filter.

Effective operation of the DPNR is controlled by the engine management system varying the air-fuel ratio in the exhaust gases. To do this a fifth injector, the Exhaust Port Injector (EPI), injects fuel into the exhaust gas flow at a critical moment, creatin moog the right stoichiometric conditions for the DPNR catalyst to reduce harmful emissions." 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Neilsauris said:

Just bought my wife an auris 2007 sr180 d4d. Firstly what exactly does D-cat mean? or is it that obvious?

The elec sunroof is faulty. It clicks when you operate the button but only kind of opens at one end causing to tilt one side. Luckily it closes again. Anyone have experience with these?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Bought from a dealer, or private seller? 

The sunroof problem sounds similar to what my old '98 had. It needed help sliding open and closing, but was fine in tilt mode. I grease the runners, but nothing else. I used it sparingly anyway. On really hot days I would just use the very effective air-con.
The SR180 D4D. Hope the OP read up on the engine, especially on this forum! Even though the car is 12 years old, paperwork and history will be handy.  

7 hours ago, furtula said:

Bought from a dealer, or private seller? 

Private sale, i collect it on friday.

4 hours ago, Konrad C said:

The sunroof problem sounds similar to what my old '98 had. It needed help sliding open and closing, but was fine in tilt mode. I grease the runners, but nothing else. I used it sparingly anyway. On really hot days I would just use the very effective air-con.
The SR180 D4D. Hope the OP read up on the engine, especially on this forum! Even though the car is 12 years old, paperwork and history will be handy.  

Not sure i get what this means:  Hope the OP read up on the engine?

The sunroof works in two ways, you can make it tilt or you can make it slide to open.

3 hours ago, Neilsauris said:

Not sure i get what this means:  Hope the OP read up on the engine?

OP = original poster. I hope the OP, in this case that would be you Neilsauris, researched the car and known issues! I did a quick Google search and got this as one of the results - 

Within the topic I found this -  

Not all 2AD engines had the issue, but it's best to check. 
When I bought my Avensis, I was aware of known issues with my model, crack in the door strap mounting points, and the electric parking brake. These issues I could live with. Hopefully your engine is okay. 

3 hours ago, Stivino said:

The sunroof works in two ways, you can make it tilt or you can make it slide to open.

Yeh it dont work in either way. You can hear the motor but clicks like perhaps teeth on cogs broke or something.

27 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

OP = original poster. I hope the OP, in this case that would be you Neilsauris, researched the car and known issues! I did a quick Google search and got this as one of the results - 

Within the topic I found this -  

Not all 2AD engines had the issue, but it's best to check. 
When I bought my Avensis, I was aware of known issues with my model, crack in the door strap mounting points, and the electric parking brake. These issues I could live with. Hopefully your engine is okay. 

Wow, didnt realise that. Because my hilux d4d had been so good i assumed the auris d4d would be too. Worried now.

12 hours ago, Neilsauris said:

Wow, didnt realise that. Because my hilux d4d had been so good i assumed the auris d4d would be too. Worried now.

As I said, not all 2AD engines suffered from the head gasket issue. Then if the car did and was under warranty at the time, it may have had a replacement engine from Toyota. If not covered by warranty which would have expired due to age, some may have had the engine repaired! 
Keep an eye on the coolant and temperature.
Now you are this forum, you can search for more info. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2019 at 8:22 AM, Konrad C said:

As I said, not all 2AD engines suffered from the head gasket issue. Then if the car did and was under warranty at the time, it may have had a replacement engine from Toyota. If not covered by warranty which would have expired due to age, some may have had the engine repaired! 
Keep an eye on the coolant and temperature.
Now you are this forum, you can search for more info. 

Thank you Konrad.

I have now collected the car. Its far better spec'd than i realised. It has cruise, sat nav, bluetooth, auto headlamps, light up vanity mirrors, reverse camera (although it dont come on when i select reverse). Sound system sounds great. On the journey home it appears to drive really well with just a very small knock on pass front (Poss arb drop link). It has lots of receipts of work carried out so i'll look through them later. 

2 hours ago, Neilsauris said:

Thank you Konrad.

I have now collected the car. Its far better spec'd than i realised. It has cruise, sat nav, bluetooth, auto headlamps, light up vanity mirrors, reverse camera (although it dont come on when i select reverse). Sound system sounds great. On the journey home it appears to drive really well with just a very small knock on pass front (Poss arb drop link). It has lots of receipts of work carried out so i'll look through them later. 

That's promising with the paperwork. I assume you know about modern diesels. You car having the Dcat will want to regen the particulate filter. Also the economy will vary depending on how it's driven, will be in the 30s mpg. What's the mileage? I have to admit that I have only owned petrol cars, and got my Avensis because I was aware of the ULEZ that penalizes diesels, less maintenance, and driving style. Since you live outside of Greater London, you will have a different driving style that may suite your car.     

On 10/24/2019 at 9:59 PM, Konrad C said:

That's promising with the paperwork. I assume you know about modern diesels. You car having the Dcat will want to regen the particulate filter. Also the economy will vary depending on how it's driven, will be in the 30s mpg. What's the mileage? I have to admit that I have only owned petrol cars, and got my Avensis because I was aware of the ULEZ that penalizes diesels, less maintenance, and driving style. Since you live outside of Greater London, you will have a different driving style that may suite your car.     

Its done just under 100k. I'm hoping its going to get more than 30mpg combined. There is one invoice from toyota which seems strange. It appears that around around 44k the owner reported loss of coolant. It was checked and water pump was replaced under warranty. Its also said that the customer is to drive for a further 1k and have it inspected again. It then says there is still loss of coolant. On the same invoice someone has hand written at the top 'engine change @ 44k' 

I cant find any official paper work for this but it seems strange that firstly there was reports of loss of coolant to the point where toyota recognised this. By the looks of things a water pump didnt cure it. Secondly that someone also wrote 'engine change' on the same invoice and all this happened around the same kind of mileage. Surely if this was true there would be some kind of paper work especially as it seems someone has been quite savvy a keeping the receipts for all the work carried out.

13 minutes ago, Neilsauris said:

Its done just under 100k. I'm hoping its going to get more than 30mpg combined. There is one invoice from toyota which seems strange. It appears that around around 44k the owner reported loss of coolant. It was checked and water pump was replaced under warranty. Its also said that the customer is to drive for a further 1k and have it inspected again. It then says there is still loss of coolant. On the same invoice someone has hand written at the top 'engine change @ 44k' 

I cant find any official paper work for this but it seems strange that firstly there was reports of loss of coolant to the point where toyota recognised this. By the looks of things a water pump didnt cure it. Secondly that someone also wrote 'engine change' on the same invoice and all this happened around the same kind of mileage. Surely if this was true there would be some kind of paper work especially as it seems someone has been quite savvy a keeping the receipts for all the work carried out.

Have you Tried '' My Toyota'' , not sure if the history goes back this far but if the work was completed by a Toyota dealer there should be a record against the car

https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neilsauris said:

This is what I was trying to warn you about, in my previous posts. The 'engine change' remark means, the engine must have had the suspected head gasket problem, and the only course of action is the replace the head and block. The only thing now is to find out if the replacement was done. You may need to contact Toyota or visit a dealer toy see if they can find records to your car. I wonder if the registration document shows details of engine change. In the old days, I remember having the registration document updated with the new engine serial number of my old Ford Fiesta.
In the meantime, keep an eye on the coolant level. If it stays the same, then all is fine. Also listen for gurgling sounds, and check that the car heater gets warm. 

If the engine is confirmed replaced, you have dodged a bullet. 
A general comment about the Mk1 Auris line up. Toyota made their top spec cars the diesel. If I was buying a diesel, I would have gone for the Honda Civic! In actual I would buy the Civic 1.8 petrol which has a few advantages over the Auris, until the hybrid came along. The Civic has got more space and flexible seating system. Since I needed the space, I bought my 2009 T27 1.8 Tourer. 
Back on subject - follow Steve's advice and try My Toyota.

Thanks guys, i'll try and shed some light on this. It looks like all the invoices at this time was at my local dealers which was simms toyota now Steven Eagle.

11 hours ago, stevecrvn said:

Have you Tried '' My Toyota'' , not sure if the history goes back this far but if the work was completed by a Toyota dealer there should be a record against the car

https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/

I will have to wait untill i get the v5 as i need a version number off it to complete the verification on the toyota site.

Thanks for the info

12 hours ago, Neilsauris said:

On the same invoice someone has hand written at the top 'engine change @ 44k' 

Toyota replaced some of these 3/4 engines under their goodwill arrangement, which provided cover for 7 years/111,846 miles, whichever occurred first, from first registration.

As with any warranty, goodwill work, or recall, the paper trail and paperwork belongs to the manufacturer, who is paying the bill, rather than the customer.

In this case Toyota would have needed the dealer to submit paperwork, etc as supporting evidence for the goodwill repair.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, i can now confirm that the engine in our auris was replaced by toyota at 44k. Did toyota modify the replacements to ensure this didnt happen again?

On 10/26/2019 at 10:49 AM, Konrad C said:

This is what I was trying to warn you about, in my previous posts. The 'engine change' remark means, the engine must have had the suspected head gasket problem, and the only course of action is the replace the head and block. The only thing now is to find out if the replacement was done. You may need to contact Toyota or visit a dealer toy see if they can find records to your car. I wonder if the registration document shows details of engine change. In the old days, I remember having the registration document updated with the new engine serial number of my old Ford Fiesta.
In the meantime, keep an eye on the coolant level. If it stays the same, then all is fine. Also listen for gurgling sounds, and check that the car heater gets warm. 

If the engine is confirmed replaced, you have dodged a bullet. 
A general comment about the Mk1 Auris line up. Toyota made their top spec cars the diesel. If I was buying a diesel, I would have gone for the Honda Civic! In actual I would buy the Civic 1.8 petrol which has a few advantages over the Auris, until the hybrid came along. The Civic has got more space and flexible seating system. Since I needed the space, I bought my 2009 T27 1.8 Tourer. 
Back on subject - follow Steve's advice and try My Toyota.

Hi guys, i can now confirm that the engine in our auris was replaced by toyota at 44k. Did toyota modify the replacements to ensure this didnt happen again?

The replacements did incorporate the same mods that were made to production engines. However, as with any engine, as mileage, etc increases there is a possibility gasket issues may occur.