Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo engine won't start

Tim Rayner

Hi All, My 2009 Aygo automatic normally starts every time, but occasionally it fails to. Instead, when I attempt to start the engine it make a clunking sound and the brake pedal refuses to depress. This state of affairs will continue for between 10 minutes and an hour, when suddenly the brake pedal will depress and the enine will start normally. Any ideas? Thanks Tim.

I was hoping you would have had a reply by now. The only thing which I can offer is, whenever my 2006 Aygo failed to start, I'd turn the ignition key until the dashboard lights came on and wait a few seconds (maybe 5) before starting the engine. Best of luck to you

I can't comment specifically as you have an Aygo which I'm not familiar with at all, plus it's an automatic, and I can't explain what the brake pedal's doing, but for a manual gearbox car, I'd ask how old the Battery is, and suggest the starter motor might be suspect (I've had one which sometimes spun the engine, sometimes just clicked - solved by replacing it).

Might be worth checking the Battery terminals, and earth lead connection(s) to body.  A poor connection can create voltage drop, so the starter doesn't get the power it needs to spin the engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links