Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear steers over bumps

JJReid

Hi, I have a problem with my 2005 Avensis, if I go over a pothole with my left side rear wheel it feels like the car is being steered to the right from the back momentarily, then it tracks perfectly straight. Has anyone else experienced this? I jacked the rear of my car up & couldn’t feel any play in the suspension joints. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks 

This has to be due to wear in rear suspension components. Maybe get it on shaker plates to look for movement.

• Like 1

I had the same problem, on my car it was the rear sway bar bushings. They cost about 10£ or so and are easy to replace. If    you drive up on a set of wooden blocks with the rear tires you should be able to check the sway bar for play. It will be stiff if jacking up the rear since the drop of suspension will lay weight on it.

• Like 1

Thanks. I’ll check it out at the weekend on a on ramps rather than jacking the car up.

I also had this problem, really scary at times! Get your four wheel alignment checked and set up properly, had mine done manually in the end, cured it brilliantly. The back wheels were so far out it was presenting the corner of the side wall on the tire to the bumps, causing the back end to skip. It actually improved my mpg too! It must have been dragging the back wheels along 

On 10/29/2019 at 7:58 AM, Electrum said:

I also had this problem, really scary at times! Get your four wheel alignment checked and set up properly, had mine done manually in the end, cured it brilliantly. The back wheels were so far out it was presenting the corner of the side wall on the tire to the bumps, causing the back end to skip. It actually improved my mpg too! It must have been dragging the back wheels along 

Sounds exactly whats happening to my car, I've had a couple of scary moments when there is a bump or bumps mid corner. I had my car up on my ramps & couldn't detect any noticeable play in any of the joints, but noticed the outside edge of the nearside rear tyre is feathered, so I'll get the alignment checked.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links