Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota auris 2008 do not start

Rhymer

Hi, 
As title suggests, my toyota auris 2008 Petrol sr not starting anymore. Were driving back home from work, stopped at the shop, turn off the engine, (all lights, everything turned off), spend maybe 5 minutes in the shop, came back, trying to turn on, all good lights in the panel goes on, nothing suspicious, turning key on, can hear click noise or rapid ticking noises but nothing else. Lights doesnt dim when trying to turn it on, so my guess batery might be alright (Not sure when the last time Battery was changed tho, so not ruling this option out just yet)...Car staying overnight at the shop, just want some ideas what could i check once i back there tomorrow. don't have voltmeter to check the batery, could check fuses i guess? Really hoping it will magically start tomorrow, but knowing that it happened and dissapeared probably would take me straight to garage for checks....

thanks for any help!

Petrol or diesel?

Hi, assuming that the clicking noises are when you turn the key to the 'start' position, rather than just to 'on', then it sounds like a poor connection to the starter motor, or predictably, the starter motor itself. 

If there is a poor earth to the engine or the 12v supply hasn't the grunt, then the starter solenoid (built into the starter motor) will throw the starter gear into engagement and connect the starter windings (lots of current for this last bit, obviously).

The poor connection will not support the current, so the voltage then collapses and the solenoid switches off, which causes the voltage to recover and switch the solenoid on again etc. etc. Hence the clicking. 

I don't know where the starter motor is exactly, but given the age of the car I'd be checking exposed earths to the engine block and the connections to the starter motor, although be very careful with the starter itself as the fat (red?) cable is permanently live and presents a potential shorting hazard if any spanners etc. go near it!!  If you want to loosen or tighten that connector it would be best to disconnect the Battery earth lead first! 

Note that when the Battery is reconnected the car will instantly lock all the doors automatically, so don't leave your keys in the car when you do this. 

A duff battery/battery connection will give similar symptoms, but your lights would dim, as you mentioned. 

@Gerg Indeed, clicking noises coming when i turn key to start position. 
Got some jumper cables to try as well. Will do this thing first, if no luck will check connections to starter motor, which i think will be difficult to access.

thanks for suggestion!

Just get a cheap multimeter, and it will save you 80% of the time, plus it's money well spent, as it's a great tool.

How long was your trip home? If it was 20-30 minutes, the car should have started fine, Battery vise.

If it was just a few minutes and you had heater and lights and music on, then it's probably dead Battery

@furtula Trip home lasted around 30 mins, that's another reason why I doubt it might be Battery. Will go back to the car in a few hours to check things

@Bob110023 Not sure, got this car few years ago and I haven't changed it, so it's quite possible that Battery might be ancient and needs to be changed...

It was a Battery indeed. Started just fine with jump cables. Fitting new one tomorrow. 
Thanks for advices!

• 2 years later...

Is there any clicking sound when turning the key, one click, more clicks? 

Probably dead/stuck starter.