Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heated Steering Wheel

BigGreenKwak

Has anyone with the heated steering wheel tried it out yet. 

The last couple of mornings I've had to deice the car, with temps at 3 degrees I thought perfect time to try out the heated wheel. And I must admit I am a bit disappointed. My last car was a Hyundia Santa Fe Premium, and the heated steering wheel as very impressive, heated up fast with even heat all around the wheel. The RAV4 heats up, but it only appears to heat at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, leaving the rest of the wheel cold. 

Are they all like this, or is it just mine?

I just had the new RAV4 as hire car whilst on holiday in Iceland and used that function, I must admit I’ve never seen or used that before and although I found it good like you say it only heats up in certain places which I found disappointing but better than not having it I suppose.

Yep I can confirm heated steering wheel appears to only heat at 3 & 9 o'clock positions..... 

Mine heats at 3 and 9 but it's more like between 2 and 4 and between 8 and 10 and I wouldn't hold the wheel anywhere else anyway.

I would prefer a completely heated steering wheel and a hotter setting for the seats as well, seems like cost cutting to me and a bit of a disappointment 

I'm not even sure if/how much I'll use the heated steering wheel - not needed it yet, so I'm waiting to see.

Seats though, I'm really annoyed we can't even pay extra for the 3-stage heated front seats, ventilated front seats and heated rear seats available in (at least) USA & Canada (not to mention the camera-based rear view mirror, kick sensor to open boot, heater front screen and washer nozzles).

Hi Pete, yes I am sure all of those items would sell and could be on the options list

3 hours ago, Southern Softy said:

I would prefer a completely heated steering wheel and a hotter setting for the seats as well, seems like cost cutting to me and a bit of a disappointment 

How many of us would like to see this or see that, thinking omissions is a cost cutting exercise.  Add up all those preferences and it will add up to a lot of money to add on to the price of the vehicle, which a lot either couldnt or wouldnt pay for.  Of course a manufacturer could have a list of options as long as your arm..... but how long do you want to wait for your car.

I agree Joe, but  it seems Toyota could improve on little things for not much cost, how about the interior light switches being illuminated or the arm rest central storage box having  a small led light, same for the steering wheel being 100% heated, these things cost pence in manufacture.

Don’t get me, I am really please with my RAV4, just got back from a 3 hour drive from Devon, very comfy and pleasant drive it’s just the RAV4 is an expensive car, not an entry level smaller Toyota model so I think they would benefit from reviewing a few of the smaller things, how about a couple of hooks in the boot for shopping bags for instance, I saw these in a Skoda Yeti the other day and thought what a simple idea !

10 hours ago, Southern Softy said:

seems like cost cutting to me and a bit of a disappointment 

From what I've read, Toyota are not quite the biggest car company in the world, but they are the most profitable*. As a manufacturer, they are making almost 9% profit on each car, a figure that most major competitors still strive to match.  And their Japanese-made cars still carry a 10% import duty here (for a while at least), but are still price-competitive with the European-made ones.  In ensuring the former, and attempting to offset the latter, the cars do seem to end up more visibly penny-pinched these days than the competition. 

And the horns are usually a bit rubbish too.    :-)

Perhaps they're just very canny at not-quite pushing people away to the other brands with their careful cost control?

[Sits back, and awaits flaming from other owners] 

*Source: Automotive News Europe 

Hi we have a ford galaxy at the moment and it has everything the RAV4 should have full heated steering wheel,3 stage heated seats,interior switches eliminated,LED lights everywhere,kick Sensor for the electric tailgate,glass roof with electric sunroof and a spare wheel and this is just what I know as there may be more. So if ford can do it why can’t Toyota oh yer it has Apple car play and Android auto as well, I’m really going off this RAV4 

I have tried mine and like it, normally in the real cold weather I put on driving gloves but I am hoping I do not have to do this anymore.

Many years ago I had a BMW motorcycle with steel heated handlebars, then later bought a new top of the range BMW motorbike to find they had changed the handle bars to aluminium, so all the head was conducted into the handlebars and not to the hands. How on earth could they get their design so wrong. That sickened me. I now hate BMW motorbikes.

• 3 weeks later...

The hideous Vauxhall’s mokka has this on many, it’s about the best feature on the car

On 11/1/2019 at 9:02 AM, Buff69 said:

Hi we have a ford galaxy at the moment and it has everything the RAV4 should have full heated steering wheel,3 stage heated seats,interior switches eliminated,LED lights everywhere,kick Sensor for the electric tailgate,glass roof with electric sunroof and a spare wheel and this is just what I know as there may be more. So if ford can do it why can’t Toyota

Toyota is profitable (9% profit margins), and also don't chase volumes - unlike Ford, VAG and, previously, GM.

Over the past five years, Ford Europe has had a profit margin of 1%, which is why Ford are cost cutting in Europe, cutting models both in Europe and the US, and seeking partnerships with other manufacturers - VW for instance. 

Some Ford models may be well equipped in comparison to Toyotas, but unless models are making sufficient money what's the point.

Toyota pulled out of the large MPV market in Europe some years ago, as the Previa couldn't compete with the Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra due to the exchange rate between Japan and Europe, and the heavy discounting being operated by Ford and VAG.

By the way, VW is larger than Toyota, but their profit margin fell from 4.2% to 3.8% last year.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1