Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! Estima Lucida alternator problems

Elphie

Hi all, my mum's '96 Estima is running out of steam unfortunately. It's now stopped charging the Battery properly and the garage are wanting nearly £500 to put a new alternator in. 

I've read that low voltage can be caused by corroded wires and not necessarily the alternator itself. 

Anyone know of any actions I can take to check everything before the garage have to replace? 

Mum's a pensioner so this is a really big deal for her. 

Many thanks in advance...

🙂

Alternatively does anyone know where my mum could buy a refurbished or replacement alternator at a reasonable price? Does anyone on the forum do parts at all? 😊

Edited by Elphie
Extra info added

You could try an auto-electrician..he may rebuild/refurbish for much less cost.?

Had a quick look the alternator is £240 (brand new lucas) inc a £60 refundable surcharge (with discount) for the core, i would not put a re manufactured one on the car (well not a Remy or RTX chinese one)

Thank you. I didn't know alternators could definitely be refurbished. I'll ring round some auto-electricians tomoz. 

I think the garage are pulling a bit of a fast one as it seems like the core is worth £60? Am I right in that assessment?

I'll make a decision tomorrow. Hopefully the cost can be reduced to not quite so bad. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all who replied. 

I took mum's car to an auto-electrician and he repaired the actuator on the alternator which has solved the problem. 🤩 Thank you so much for all your help. 

The repair cost £95 so I gave the guy an extra fiver for a pint for making my mum's day! 😫🙂 

I have another question but will start another thread for that...thanks again. 

Apologies for the blue grimace smiley, couldn't find a way to delete it

• 1 year later...

anyone with this same problem (alternator) theres a great guy in Batley Yorks (Alternate) Colin who fixed mine for £33 inc a new diode plate

On 11/14/2019 at 12:47 AM, Elphie said:

Hi all who replied. 

I took mum's car to an auto-electrician and he repaired the actuator on the alternator which has solved the problem. 🤩 Thank you so much for all your help. 

The repair cost £95 so I gave the guy an extra fiver for a pint for making my mum's day! 😫🙂 

I have another question but will start another thread for that...thanks again. 

Apologies for the blue grimace smiley, couldn't find a way to delete it

Glad you got it sorted and hope that all is still going well (belated)

8 hours ago, ob1cnoby said:

anyone with this same problem (alternator) theres a great guy in Batley Yorks (Alternate) Colin who fixed mine for £33 inc a new diode plate

Thanks...always good to know.