Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I be worried if the MOT history reads like this?

Ninodsfds

Could you pls advise?

I want to buy this used Toyota Verso, 2016.

It is an ex Motability car, so first, I don't know if this may be an issue.

Secondly, its only MOT history reads like this:

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Vehicles internal headlight adjuster altered to recheck lights ()
Nearside Rear Child Seat fitted not allowing full inspection of adult belt ()
Nearside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Offside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge on 3mm of tread (5.2.3 (e))

Since the car is a 2016 version, does the MOT history indicate anything wrong or serious that should make you worried?
Thank you for your kind advice.

Possibly the only items that could be an issue are

the 2 brake pipes corroding. Car is only 3 years old, so why would they be corroding. Not an expensive job to replace... but why corroded?

also, the N/S rear tyre down to 3mm. Depends on mileage (what is the mileage car has covered?). What are the other tyres like for tread left? If this one tyre is itself down to 3mm, again... why?

Edited by Catlover
spelling

Thank you so much for your reply.

The mileage is 28,000 miles. The engine size is 1798 cc and it uses petrol.

Is the seller a dealer?  If so, explain to him that to move forward with the purchase you want these MOT advisories acted on.  Meaning you want the corroded brake pipes replacing, and the rear tyre replaced and four wheel tracking done.  A good dealer would do these jobs to clinch a sale.   If its a private sale, getting the car checked over professionally is an option, getting quotes for the work is an option, knocking big chunk of money off the asking price is an option. 

• Like 1

I would be very surprised if there is corrosion on your brake pipes on a three year old car.

I have had the same advisory on my brake pipes for the past four (yes four) years.  It says exactly the same as yours.

There is not a drop of grease on my brake pipes, but he keeps writing it on the sheet.

When I asked him why he keeps telling me about the brake pipes he said, "there's nothing to worry about, they are ok, I'm just telling you".

What exactly is he telling me?  He's passed it on the pipes for the past four years, so I know they are ok.

Apart from that, I'm a time served mechanic so I know very well.

BTW, he's a panel beater by trade.

The presence of grease on brake pipes showed they at least tried to mend, but not fixed, still counts as some effort, i guess.

One tire close to legal limit, but others could also be near, i guess. Could be they drove the car without checking tire pressure, and that tire had the worst pressure of all, causing excess wear. For example, weather turned colder now, in a week my tires went from 2.2 to 1.8 or so bars. 

I would look at number of previous owners and mileage every year at MOT.

If for 2 years the car has 10k to 12k miles per year and in the 3rd year the same owner has done less it suggest mileage correction to me because there no consistency in usage. Might be paranoia on my part but thats what I look for in all my cars.

Obviously a hpi check is imperative if you are buying from a private seller.

The mot advisories arent expensive to repair. Just get a bit of money knocked of the asking price.

2 hours ago, My first toyota said:

If for 2 years the car has 10k to 12k miles per year and in the 3rd year the same owner has done less it suggest mileage correction to me because there no consistency in usage.

As the car is ex-Motability, if fewer miles have been undertaken in any of the previous years, the reason could be down to the previous user's health condition (ie. been hospitalised or being unable to drive for a period). It may not be indicative of clocking.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, My first toyota said:

I would look at number of previous owners and mileage every year at MOT.
If for 2 years the car has 10k to 12k miles per year and in the 3rd year the same owner has done less it suggest mileage correction to me because there no consistency in usage. Might be paranoia on my part but thats what I look for in all my cars.     Obviously a hpi check is imperative if you are buying from a private seller.

Mick, the original poster, said the car was a 2016, plus “it’s only MOT history reads like this”, so clearly the car is now just over 3 years old, so checking for miles per year is not an option from MOT, service records maybe.  However, even if the car had done 12k for each of the first 2 years, meaning only 4K for the third year, I think it is a bit much to “suggest mileage clocking”. as Fballs says there could be genuine reasons for “no consistency” in annual mileage. Personally, I have had two operations in the last 4.5 years, both of which meant I couldn’t drive for extended periods of time- affecting my annual mileage figures. According to your thing I have been doing “mileage correction”. Flawed thinking.

• Like 1

Thank you again. The car in question is being sold by a local dealer.

According to the V5C, there is only one owner so far. It seems consistent with the Motability scheme. Usually there is one owner after 3 years and then it is offered to a dealer.

Based on your advice, it seems to me that there are no serious problems with this car.

It is being offered for around £13,600. The car has satnav, rear camera and a sunroof. So I have to say it is attractive for my budget.

My sincere thanks,

Hi Mick, obviously the decision is yours whether you go further with the sale/purchase of this vehicle, but you have come forward on this forum seeking opinions. 
From what you have said, personally I would not be put off continuing thinking about the purchase. Mobility cars are usually serviced to a good standard.  I would however have a chat with the dealer and raise concerns I may have, with a view that hopefully he/she would act on my concerns and make a proposal of some sort....... either to sort my 2 major concerns ie brake pipes and excessive tyre wear (replacement/rectification) or some monetary compensation By reducing the asking price.  Another option open to me would be to offer to purchase at a lower price.
Entirely up to you what you decide....... but it would be nice for you to come back and let us know what you decided to do.

To Stivino, thank you so much for letting me know about the AA inspection. I did not know that such a service exists. 

I just called the dealer about the AA inspection. He agrees to let the vehicle checked by AA, with the condition that I will pay the deposit, so that the dealer will take the car off the market while waiting for AA. He said if the car is deemed failing by AA, then the deposit will be returned to me. If there is little problem, then I will have to buy the car. I'm thinking about this.

Thanks,

The advisory:-
Nearside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Offside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
You guys are possibly misinterpreting it.

It would be better read as "corroded OR covered in grease OR other material"
e.g. they have a plastic coating shield over them.
So the tester advises them.

He even put an advisory on to say he adjusted the internal headlight adjuster to position zero for the test. 99.99% would never even document this.

I would say this is the most honest MOT tester in the world.

Stivino is telling the whole truth here:-

On 11/2/2019 at 4:46 PM, Stivino said:

I would be very surprised if there is corrosion on your brake pipes on a three year old car.

I have had the same advisory on my brake pipes for the past four (yes four) years.  It says exactly the same as yours.

There is not a drop of grease on my brake pipes, but he keeps writing it on the sheet.

When I asked him why he keeps telling me about the brake pipes he said, "there's nothing to worry about, they are ok, I'm just telling you".

What exactly is he telling me?  He's passed it on the pipes for the past four years, so I know they are ok.