Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Considering buying a 2014/15 Auris hybrid - common faults to watch for?

jk0

Hi all.

Several years ago I had an Auris Touring Sports hybrid as a company car, and rather liked it. I'm now thinking of replacing our lovely but ageing Alfa Giulietta at some point during the next 6 months; we'd like something newer, better equipped (nav, DAB, heated seats etc) and a bit less thirsty. Based on the positive experience with my old company car, another Auris is top of the list. (Well, actually, a 2 litre Corolla Touring hybrid would be top of the list, but they're waaaaaay too expensive at the moment...)

As I only had "my" Auris for 3 years and covered about 55,000 miles from brand new, I never encountered any problems - which is one reason I'm keen to have another. But, now that the cars are getting older (realistically my budget of £12k is going to mean a ~5 year old car, so little or no warranty remaining), are there any common problems emerging that I should keep an eye out for or budget for?

Cheers.

Have a look at the 'Good & Bad section of the Honest John review as a starting point - https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/auris-2013/

The face-lift Auris came out in March 2015. 

When the car reaches 5 years of age, one can register for Toyota's 5+ club, which gives 20% off servicing and MOT's. Also after 5 years, having the car serviced by Toyota (Hybrid Electric Service) extends the hybrid Battery warranty by 1 year/10,000 miles. The hybrid Battery extended warranty can be extended up to when the car reaches 15 years of age. 

I'd look for one that has had it's annual service done by Toyota as well, therefore having the Battery check every year.

Normal things really just make sure everything works, usual background checks with MOT and mileage, previous owners. I went to look at one 100 miles away that was described as immaculate and low mileage yet it had the looks of a car that had done loads of miles (worn pedal rubbers, different makes of cheap tyres on all 4 wheels and every alloy was scuffed).

The one I bought had full Toyota history and was immaculate.

Just be prepared to walk away and don't let the salesman sway you :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mine's that age. Apart from annual Toyota servicing, I've had to replace just one wiper blade. And my 12v Battery isn't what it was ... 

It has been quite brilliantly boring! 

I like the goodies on my Excel, but I wish they didn't have to go with low-profile tyres (on 17" rims). I reckon the taller tyres are more comfortable on our imperfectly surfaced roads (and probably quieter too). Having higher rolling resistance, the 17's also have a negative impact on fuel economy.  

I don't use the inbuilt sat-nav, (won't pay a fortune for slightly newer maps). I prefer Google Maps on my phone, and wish Android Auto was available as a retrofit/upgrade. 

The Panoramic (glass) roof on mine is covered most of the time, in sunshine it cooks the occupants! And my insurers use that "modification from base spec" to hike the premium by a few quid. Nice but not worth paying for! 

A Greyhound can get its head round the sides of the official Toyota dog guard... but even without a dog, the official rubber boot liner is VERY nice to have! 

I still think the headlights are a (the?) relatively weak point of the car, even after the semi-recall no-charge upgrade swap (for which my thanks, Toyota!) Doesn't seem there's anything else can be done about them. 

Overall, I'm very happy indeed with the thing. I'm not looking for excitement or 'character', boring is just fine! 

Hopefully I won't need to replace it until I can get something with a plug that is equivalent and affordable. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links