Do Not Sell My Personal Information

''Check parking brake'' warning after new pads

saxo265

Evening all, re. 09 T180 2.2 D-Cat

Advice please. Just had new rear pads last week & after 28miles, today, the warning came up! I have read most posts re this warning but find it odd that it has come on now @ 48K. It runs perfectly and P brake working fine.

Before I take it back tomorrow (this is the first time I have used this garage) I would like to be pre informed.

I am a little wary about this garage as when I collected the car and within 2seconds of opening the door I noticed something wrong (and on checking the boot later something else!) They did put the first thing right before I left. It was also MOT'd at the same time as the service. A bit miffed at the moment!

Come on, don't leave us in suspense, what is the magical diagnostic code for this warning?

My guess is they did not do the calibration.

You all know that saying :"Violence breeds violence", but could also be :"More electronics replacing perfectly functioning mechanics, breeds more electronic problems".

Your garage has poor working habits, you should find a new place, and check reviews beforehand...

• Like 1

If you have read posts on the subject, you may have read about recent posts where the warnings appear after brake pad change. 
The first thing is to take some photos and post it here to give a better picture of what you are asking about. 

The possible issues if directly linked to the rear brake pads change, are the pistons have not set so the cutouts are in line with the protrusion on the back of the inner brake pad. If not the piston and pad not work properly and resulting in the piston going skew. Also the pad will work at an angle, wearing faster on one section. Also the sliders cold have been contaminated. 
These are all guesses. You could go to another garage and get a second opinion and maybe a fix. Also get some diagnostics done. The codes will give a better idea of what is going on. 

Does the auto release working, and the EPB working manually. If the EPB auto release does not work, I wonder if the garage did the mistake I done and used the wrong diagnostic tool to delete settings. I sorted mine by using Techstream. Follow this post and the links - 

A lot of the issues I mention are not due to the EPB unit itself, but other factors like some I mentioned above.
I hope you source the problem, and give some feedback.

• Like 1

Thanks guys 👍  will post pic of warning (when I can get it off whatsapp!) it is ''check parking brake system'' and RHS yellow triangle with exclamation mark.

EPB works fine on and off, drives normal. Contacted garage , taking it down shortly, local garage, trusted trader & good garage scheme? did check feedback and asked around and seemed ok. It was the the two obvious things I spotted that has me worried.

After reading up on Konrad's posts, thank you. Will update when back from garage.

IMG-20191105-WA0000.jpg

Right, I stand corrected re auto EPB off, it does not work! manual off and on as normal.( I rare use auto off, just manual off)

They plugged in comp and came up with code C1207 ''malfunction neutral/reverse position sensor''?

I asked had it been calibrated properly when pads done, yes, no problem there and no codes.

He tried it several times auto release & fine apart from once when it stayed on but now ok? Cleared the fault all ok. He said try it for a few days & see how it goes, don't want to start spending money without knowing the fault is still there?

So as of now it is all working, will have to wait and see how it goes. However I will re read relevant posts for more info. Many thanks guys, much appreciated. 👍 Nick

Ps. This has been the first time any form of warning light has come on with this superb car (apart from the EPB! 😁)

Re these pics of pads/disc. Does this look right re rust ring now forming (not there with old pads) I would have thought new pads would clean right back to small disc lip? or is it pads not bedded in yet @ 30miles & normal? Thanks, Nick

* Pagid pads fitted.

IMG_20191105_133810.jpg

IMG_20191105_133818.jpg

IMG_20191105_133824.jpg

IMG_20191105_133845.jpg

IMG_20191105_133903.jpg

That looks like a new caliper on there, too.  Do you think he's put enough copaslip on there?

The rusty part might not be covered by the pads, new or old.

Hi, defo enough c/slip! Calipers original 😁I just like to keep them looking nice, hammerite 4 yrs ago, just cleaned them when I put winters on last week after the service as they were left very mucky.

Not sure about rust area tho' those bands were not there before, O/side more than N/s. I guess it's a wait and see job after a few more miles? Cheers Nick

Ps. The pads (Bosch) removed had done 29.5K & still a few thou' left on them.

Mmmm! yes, looking good 👍 new discs next time I guess. Just going to give it a 50m run & hope all is well!

I was actually referring to the lack of Copaslip, there is no need for it.

• Like 1

Yes,see what you mean. Will clean off next spring changeover,thanks.

50m completed, no probs. I hope it's really sorted now. I just wonder as previous comment, not calibrated properly? Thanks all, Nick