Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Creaking noise when moving slowly

Shavestick

When I turn the steering wheel while the car moves very slowly, say coming out of parking there is a creaking noise.

The noise sounds like a door hinge that needs a bit of oiling.

Checked the rubber bushings on the CV joints and there is no tears or grease leaks.

Checked the CV joints but can't hear any clunks when fully turning the steering wheel while driving in circles.

What else should I look at?

The car is a 2010 Mk2 1.33

Mine creaks and squeeks from the suspension, moreso going over uneven roads or as you say, turning in a tight circle, and I put it down to the rubber bushes on the anti roll bar getting old and creaky, but saying that, my mother's 64 reg 1.33 Icon has also now started doing it, but not as bad as I get with my car, so it seems Toyota dont use very good quality suspension bushes, which age rapidly and become noisy. The noise comes and goes and can be worse in colder weather, but really, the first place I would go to would be the roll bar bushes and replace those if I really wanted the creaking gone. I will wait till the MOT tester fails the car and have them done then, but for now, i just put up with the creaking noises.

Exactly like on my car, coming and going creaks especially on cold weather when turning the steering full pelt at slow moving speed from standing.

Thanks, will have a look at the sway bars bushings. Probably will leave this like you to the tester and live with the creaks.

These bushings are the original and started to creak at around 110k, car now has 120k and is ultra reliable otherwise.

• Like 2

I noticed a strange noise from my Yaris at full lock - low speed - cold weather. Decided it was tyres juddering over the ground. I read somewhere about a 'modified Ackerman' steering geometry on them. Ackerman isn't a perfect solution for different radii of steered wheels and I don't know how Toyota have modified it.

• Thanks 1

I get a creaking noise when I move slowly.  Doctor says I on the way out so just have to put up with it. 😁

• Haha 2

@bathtub tom I used to also get the "scrubbing" noise when turning slowly on full lock, which stopped after I had the front tyres replaced. This noise was a different sort of noise to the squeeking and creaking that the rubber bushings make. But indeed I was amazed to find out it was the tyres that were responsible for the grating - at first I thought the tyres were somehow fouling the wheel liners or something to make the dreadful noise, but a simple tyre change sorted the issue. It may have been down to the tread on the old tyres getting worn and the rubber perishing, as the old tyres were quite old - my car only does low mileage and still only has 31K on the clock for 13 years old, so the tyres take quite some years to reach the point of replacement.

• Like 1

Could be a broken shock spring. It happened on my previous Yaris (front) and RAV4 (rear). It is the bottom coil tends to corrode where it is subjected to water.

It only visible only when the wheel is taken off when I was investigating the squeek noise when it goes over bumps and pulling away slowly. MOT will not even detect it on mine.

This also happened to on our 2007 Yaris, I used 'Wurth Rubber care on all rubber bushings and cv boots under the car. This stuff softens/rejuvenates the rubber components and also got rid of the creaking when driving over speed humps.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-300ml-WURTH-GUMMI-PFLEGE-RUBBER-CARE-AEROSOL-SPRAY-CAN/273956522313?epid=1027127667&hash=item3fc914c949:g:qk8AAOSwMkJdSEJy

I also use White lithium spray grease to lubricate the bearings that sit on top of the front shock absorbers, this cures the creaking when pulling away slowly as 'shavestick' mentions in his post. To do this I turn the steering full lock and then 'pop' the bonnet, using a large flat screwdriver I gently prise the driver's side black rubber/plastic cover that sits on top of the strut on the inner wing, then using the straw to spray grease onto the bearings (it's a bit hit and miss at first and you may need to do this on more than one occasion to hit the spot by angling the straw downwards slightly.) I then turn the steering to the opposite lock and proceed to do the same on the passenger side. The alternative is to strip the front suspension down and replace the bearings due to the grease drying out, I know which option I would choose every time!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WD40-High-Performance-White-Lithium-Grease-Spray-Rust-and-Corrosion-250ml-New/293274161295?hash=item444880908f:g:hrYAAOSwOKlcjyTf

Hope you find this tip useful.

• Like 1

This also happened to on our 2007 Yaris, I used 'Wurth Rubber care on all rubber bushings and cv boots under the car. This stuff softens/rejuvenates the rubber components and also got rid of the creaking when driving over speed humps.
 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-300ml-WURTH-GUMMI-PFLEGE-RUBBER-CARE-AEROSOL-SPRAY-CAN/273956522313?epid=1027127667&hash=item3fc914c949:g:qk8AAOSwMkJdSEJy
I also use White lithium spray grease to lubricate the bearings that sit on top of the front shock absorbers, this cures the creaking when pulling away slowly as 'shavestick' mentions in his post. To do this I turn the steering full lock and then 'pop' the bonnet, using a large flat screwdriver I gently prise the driver's side black rubber/plastic cover that sits on top of the strut on the inner wing, then using the straw to spray grease onto the bearings (it's a bit hit and miss at first and you may need to do this on more than one occasion to hit the spot by angling the straw downwards slightly.) I then turn the steering to the opposite lock and proceed to do the same on the passenger side. The alternative is to strip the front suspension down and replace the bearings due to the grease drying out, I know which option I would choose every time!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WD40-High-Performance-White-Lithium-Grease-Spray-Rust-and-Corrosion-250ml-New/293274161295?hash=item444880908f:g:hrYAAOSwOKlcjyTf
Hope you find this tip useful.
And this was the winning answer.

Sprayed the white grease into the shock absorbers bearings and vualla! No more creaks.

The sway bar bushings actually looks ok as I do give all the rubbers a bit of Waine stop leak spraying from time to time.

Many thanks
  • Like 1

Great! You may find at first you have to repeat the process after a couple of months but after that it should last awhile. 

I'm glad someone found the tip useful I was beginning to think that it had 'fallen on deaf ears'! 🙂