Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why is the 2.0 125 kilo heavier than the 1.8?

nielshm

I know engine bigger and stronger, electric motor also stronger, but still? 

125 kilo extra is a lot of just weight for upgrading 2 components.. What about the Battery, doess it have the same capacity, 1.8 vs 2.0? It's hard to find specs regarding the hybrid drive. 

I don't know the trim specifications of the new Corolla or about the mechanics, so I'm guessing some of this:-

Does the 2.0 come with a safety spare that the 1.8 doesn't have as standard ?  That's 15+ kg extra, if the 1.8 doesn't have a spare wheel.

The engine will need an exhaust that flows 50% more gas, so that'll be bigger.  Also the radiator and cooling system must be upscaled for 50% more (potential) heat capacity.

The rest of the transmission beyond the electric motors will be stronger.  The inverter will probably be slightly bigger.

The engine is direct and indirect injection, so doubling up of some components.

The direct injection engine will have the under-bonnet sound absorbing mat, and maybe more soundproofing elsewhere as the 2.0 only comes in higher trim levels, doesn't it?  And more electrical equipment as standard on the higher trims? 

With the dual (port and direct) injection, Toyota might have managed to avoid fitting a petrol particulate filter in the exhaust system, but if they haven't then more weight added here.

The brake rotors, calipers and driveshafts will likely be larger.

The 1.8 weight *might* be quoted with the smallest available wheels fitted, but the smallest wheels on the 2.0 will be bigger!  Perhaps 10+ kg here.

I think I have read somewhere that the 2.0 does have a bigger Battery, it would make sense, otherwise the Battery will presumably have to work harder in a higher output 'system', so the electric range would be less and the Battery life shortened if it was the same size as the 1.8.

125 kg does seem quite a lot of extra weight.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 3:54 AM, nielshm said:

I know engine bigger and stronger, electric motor also stronger, but still? 

125 kilo extra is a lot of just weight for upgrading 2 components.. What about the battery, doess it have the same capacity, 1.8 vs 2.0? It's hard to find specs regarding the hybrid drive. 

I assumed it is the power train in it's entirety. If you have the HB, the 2 ltr engine bay is so crowded that the 12 volt Battery has to go in the boot. The Hybrid Battery is heavier. There is no spare tyre, so that is not the reason.

Are you comparing both hybrid versions ? 2.0 block is bigger and had has a balance shaft and a bigger flywheel, bigger gearbox to take the extra power, as the engine and gearbox are heavier in turn that means the suspension is uprated, to allow for the extra power the braking system is uprated

Does the 2.0 have the panoramic roof ? That adds weight

Edit. Most of the extra weight is the Battery pack the 2.0 uses 180 ni-mh cells  @ 6.5Ah where the 1.8 uses 56 lithium ion modules @ 3.6Ah

Battery and electric motors are bigger in 2.0 version, but the most of the weight difference comes from the Battery itself, it’s a double size, plus all the other things mentioned above. I am interested if anyone who owns 2.0 version and drives a lot on motorways, how is the fuel efficiency? Is it same as 1.8 , better or worse? 

Now thats Interesting that the hybrid Battery has so much extra power. It's the kind of knowledge thats allmost impossible to find. I'm so happy that I have choosen to buy the 2.0 180 hp. 

All the information is on the Toyota website, What in all honesty in a bit of a mess so makes it difficult to find anything

On 11/7/2019 at 7:31 PM, TonyHSD said:

Battery and electric motors are bigger in 2.0 version, but the most of the weight difference comes from the battery itself, it’s a double size, plus all the other things mentioned above. I am interested if anyone who owns 2.0 version and drives a lot on motorways, how is the fuel efficiency? Is it same as 1.8 , better or worse? 

I do some motorway driving. I was getting 55 mpg, but with the colder weather down to 44 or just above. I don't flog it. 

• Like 1

Hi, so comes around 5mpg down from the 1.8 version. Not bad. 
Thank you for sharing. 👍

Strange that 1.8 has a new lithium Battery, but the 2.0 has nickel metal. The two different types must be quite different in weight/performance ratio. 

On 11/12/2019 at 5:39 AM, nielshm said:

Strange that 1.8 has a new lithium battery, but the 2.0 has nickel metal. The two different types must be quite different in weight/performance ratio. 

It may be to do with price. Lion is more expensive but lighter. Maybe the 2ltr more powerful Battery in Lion would add too much cost. Also nickel has been proven in Hybrids for longer.

2.0 Battery is EV-MNR01 (NiMH) 180 modules, 6.5Ah, 216V or 1.404kWh

1.8 Battery is EV-NLR09 (Li-Ion) 56 modules, 3.6Ah, 207V or  0,745kWh

A NiMH Battery weights 25% more for the same capacity, but the 2.0 has almost twice the 1.8 capacity so it must more than double the weigth (about 60Kg extra). I read an interview from the Hybrid Chief Engineer where he stated that they went for the NiMH for the 2.0 because it can handle the extra weight better (more horse power and torque) and they could not simply source enough batteries for the expected production of both engines... At least at the price they'd probably willing to pay for it.

NiMH perform better in the cold weather, which is good news.

The 2.0 Dynamic Force is a totaly new engine, very compact and light although very complex. It does have a particulate filter, 8 injectors and 2 fuel lines (high and low pressure), uses more air (larger ducts) and more power and torque means bigger transmition parts. The transaxle itself must be bigger to receive a much more powerfull electric MG (80 vs. 53kW). So, more than the engine itself, the hole bigger power system must weight a little more.

But it's well worth it. It drives quite well and fast, delievering a fuel economy that's almost unbelievable. I have about 80%-85% of my 5500km done on highways and my average is 5,8l/100km = 48.7 UK MPG. If I drive faster on the highway (on the 130-150km/h region), it can go to 6.2-6.5l/100km, but that is faster than it should as the limit here is 120km/h.

• Like 2

Now thats great to hear, that consumption is very low, compared to equal powered cars. My car is delivered tomorrow, and I just can't stand the wait. 

Did you fuel economy develop over time, or has it been that great since day 1?

20 minutes ago, nielshm said:

Now thats great to hear, that consumption is very low, compared to equal powered cars. My car is delivered tomorrow, and I just can't stand the wait. 

Did you fuel economy develop over time, or has it been that great since day 1?

It's roughly the same. I can do better now because I know the car better and drive in a more eco friendly way. But it really depends on my mood and I lean towards a snapier driving style many times.

I have the same 2.0 for two weeks already.

Not sure if totally true, but I think that if I leave the car with dynamic cruise control to deal itself with acceleration, ev mode, glide, etc. then the consumption is better than if I drive “manually”.

Maybe.But I've found that when cruise control is engaged the engine doesn't stop in strong downhills setting the speed near the 110km/h EV mode limit, even if the energy diagram says it's charging; If one cancel the cruise the rpm then goes to zero and the Battery keeps changing. I'll try to make a video of this tomorrow.

For comfort reasons I tend to use cc most of my motorway driving time.

16 hours ago, OXYGEN said:

I have the same 2.0 for two weeks already.

Not sure if totally true, but I think that if I leave the car with dynamic cruise control to deal itself with acceleration, ev mode, glide, etc. then the consumption is better than if I drive “manually”.

That's not my experience of the 1.8. There's not a great deal in it from what I can tell but with CC on the car will sometimes use engine braking when I'd have just left it on regen. And the CC can't anticipate the brow of a hill nor slow moving vehicles ahead.

It is however a lot better at maintaining speed and climbing hills than other vehicles I've driven. If I'm feeling lazy I'll happily drive with CC everywhere whereas other vehicles I've only used it on the motorway or dual carriageways.

I shot this video that confirm what I've said: when I cancel the cruise control downhill, the car shuts the engine down and keeps going at a slightly lower speed and charging the Battery until I hit "reset" and the engine kicks in again. It's a 6% steep downhill on the major highway in Portugal.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links