Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking Sensor beeps while driving

EsoxLucious

Hi Everyone!

2 weeks ago I have purchased my first Hybrid car, an Auris Touring Sport Excel. It is a 2016 model with only 13.500 miles on the clock and with full Toyota Service History. I absolutely love the car only one thing drives me crazy.

The car is equipped with front and rear parking sensors.( original Toyota, not aftermarket ) They are quite useful when trying to park this fairly long car into tight places, loud beeping warns you when you are getting closer to objects.

The problem is I don't know how to turn them off. While driving in traffic if something gets close to the car it starts beeping. I take over a cyclist, or pass a bush, even if there is a hump on the road.... BEEEEP! This drive me crazy. Right under the steering wheel on the right hand side I found a quite chunky rectangular button with "P" on it. If I press the the beeping stops for a while but it comes back again if any of the situations mentioned above occur. I couldn't find out which is the ON or OFF position of this button, as the beeping comes back either way. There is a little yellowish led light on the top of this button too. When the beeping starts it lights up until I press it. Then it goes out and the beeping stops...for a while...

Did anybody have this problem? I hope I can temporarily disable this system while I am driving.

Please if anybody has any idea how to solve this help me! 

Thanks.

On the later Auris the parking sensors are switched on/off through the settings menu on the Multi function display between the Speedo and power meter you can also set how you are notified Audio/visual or both and adjust the volume of the beeps

Hi!

Thank you for answers. I have been through the car manual and it says the same... I should be able to control the parking sensors and warnings by the multi function display. Unfortunately in my car it is not there! Simply there is no option like this. I went through all of it couple of times and couldn't find it. I have options for digital speedo, mpg data, energy monitor, trip computer and there is a blank page at the bottom which shows nothing. No parking sensor options 😞

Does it mean that I have to live with random " Beeps" from now? 

In this video if you skip to 15:40 the guy goes through all the options of the multi function display. I have exactly the same! Nothing about parking sensors 😞

10 hours ago, EsoxLucious said:

Hi!

Thank you for answers. I have been through the car manual and it says the same... I should be able to control the parking sensors and warnings by the multi function display. Unfortunately in my car it is not there! Simply there is no option like this. I went through all of it couple of times and couldn't find it. I have options for digital speedo, mpg data, energy monitor, trip computer and there is a blank page at the bottom which shows nothing. No parking sensor options 😞

Does it mean that I have to live with random " Beeps" from now? 

On the same display as the info you mention here you can also scroll sideways as you do a set of symbols will appear across the top you are in the drive info set, see page 109 from OM12M49E and there area also setting on the Nav screen as well see Page 200 of OM12K67E  from the attached

OM12M49E.pdf OM12K67E.pdf

Hi,

Thank you for your help. As I said before I have been through all of the menu points in my car. These settings about parking are simply not there. If you check the video I have posted before, the guy goes through all of his settings of the multi information display and the nav screen too. (@15:40) I have the exactly same setup, nothing about parking sensors. I start to think that my car is simply not equipped with these settings.

It just does not make any sense. So why do I have sensors all around the vehicle if I can't control them?

Could this be sorted with a software update of the car? 

As I have mentioned in my original post I bought the car from Toyota and it has still 2 years of warranty on it. Should I contact them? Maybe they can update the software?

Thanks in advance.

Well, go back to the selling dealer and query the issue with them.

Could you take a picture of one of the sensors and post it here?

42 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

Could you take a picture of one of the sensors and post it here?

Hi,

Yes. I will take some pictures tomorrow in daylight and post them here.

Hello,

As I promised yesterday, I took some pictures of my sensors. I have 4 at the front and 4 at the rear.

20191109_124154.jpg

20191109_124237.jpg

20191109_124214.jpg

20191109_124254.jpg

Also here is a shot of my parking assistant button. If the car starts beep at me in traffic, I can push this and it stops....but it comes back again later... Doesn't matter if it is pushed in or out... 

20191109_124542.jpg

Ok your sensors are an accessory item not a factory fit the picture of the sensor and the small snippet of a wheel and headlight suggests you do not have an Excel but perhaps a Business Edition, as Excel models have 17" dark finish wheels, LED headlamp and factory fit sensors.

The button on the dash is an accessory fit along with the sensor, user guide here: Here

20 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Ok your sensors are an accessory item not a factory fit the picture of the sensor and the small snippet of a wheel and headlight suggests you do not have an Excel but perhaps a Business Edition, as Excel models have 17" dark finish wheels, LED headlamp and factory fit sensors.

The button on the dash is an accessory fit along with the sensor, user guide here: Here

Hi,

Thank you so much for your help! That manual helped me a lot. No more confusion. 🙂

You are right. I have a Business Edition not an Excel. Even my V5C shows that. I thought it is an Excel because of the heated leather seats. 

• 2 months later...

Hi All! 

It's been a while since I posted my problem here, but unfortunately it is still unsolved... 😞

With Devon Aygo's help we have identified that my system is a Toyota Parking Aid 800 (TPA 800). It still beeps at me loudly with absolutely no reasons while I am driving, or breaking. I read through the manual a few times and it states that if I want to switch off my front sensors, I should press the button until I hear 2 beeps. Well, I tried.... I was holding that button pushed in for a long time...no beeps???!!

I really want to switch off the front sensors, because they drive me mad... I just can't live with them anymore. The rear ones are fine, they help with reversing into dark spaces.

I thought I post here once more, maybe someone has any ideas how to turn them off before I ring up the main dealer.

Thanks.

Here are the Toyota install instructions for their 2012 ->, Mk2 Auris, dealer-fit, front parking sensors.  Maybe these ones are what you have fitted?

About half way into the instructions there is a diagram of the control box location. (Looks like it is behind the glove box door, to the left.)  If you can positively identify this, you might try removing the plugs from this box until it stops working, best do this with the ignition off each time you remove a plug.

Auris Parking Sensors front RHD.pdf

...Actually, the piezo beeper is shown as being fitted very near to the controller, if you can identify that beeper part (circular, plastic with hole or holes in it, about 30 mm wide), then trace the wire back to the controller, and just unplug that.

HTH

18 hours ago, Gerg said:

...Actually, the piezo beeper is shown as being fitted very near to the controller, if you can identify that beeper part (circular, plastic with hole or holes in it, about 30 mm wide), then trace the wire back to the controller, and just unplug that.

HTH

Hi Greg,

First of all thank you for your reply. I am not an electrician guru, but will have a look on the cables ( hopefully I won't unplug something what definitely has to be plugged.)

I am worried a bit, because I have read before that if you unplug something wrong then you will end up in a big mess with error codes and all.... >_<

I understand your concern.

On reflection, the best part to disconnect is the item shown as part 'B' (via its connector 'Z2' ) in the contents list.  This will have a very small plug that has only 2 wires inside. If you arrange for someone to position the car so the sensors trigger, then it should be much easier to track down the circular sounder as it is beeping and then trace the wire from it to its small inline connector.  The full (available from Toyota GB online for free) owners manual should tell you how to replace the pollen filter via the glove box door removal.  But If you just remove the glove box lid, as described, then all will be revealed behind it. 

There is a small chance that the l/h dash end panel will need to be removed (this is the sizeable one hidden when the front door is closed.  This is easy to do, it is just held on by re-useable clips that simply pull off, but as the car is new to you, you may not feel happy doing that.  But you might not have to do this anyway!

The dealer fit parking sensors are unlikely to ever post an error code unless they ere fully integrated into the car e.g. the sensor function has a picture of the car on the dash to indicate whereabouts an obstacle is.  But even if they were then disconnecting the beeper is very unlikely to post a code, and if it did it would only error until you reconnected it and tried another route.

Just for information, the air bag wiring is always coloured yellow.  You might see some in that area.  Don't disconnect any of that. 

• 2 years later...

Hi.

I have exactly the same issue with the the beep sounds driving me crazy.

Did you end up resolving this issue and if so could you please update us on how you managed to turn off the sensors.

• 1 year later...
On 10/16/2022 at 9:10 PM, Masood007 said:

Hi.

I have exactly the same issue with the the beep sounds driving me crazy.

Did you end up resolving this issue and if so could you please update us on how you managed to turn off the sensors.

Hi,

I had similar problem on my Auris. Front sensor would beep constantly even when driving. Turned out that one unit was not properly seated and had number plate in its field of view. As a first thing I would try to take number plate with its bracket off if it helps.