Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2019 RAV4 Hybrid Brake Booster Pump Recall

PeteB

I received a letter today advising me to contact my dealer to get this recall done.

Not sure if this is the same thing that held up deliveries of some cars, or if this is something different.

Although some see things differently, I am quite reassured about Toyota's approach to doing recalls.

36 minutes ago, PeteB said:

............................ I am quite reassured about Toyota's approach to doing recalls.

Probably only because they got their fingers burnt for being forced to recall brake issues on the RAV4 a number of years ago.

7 minutes ago, Scottydog007 said:

Probably only because they got their fingers burnt for being forced to recall brake issues on the RAV4 a number of years ago.

The main reason Toyota now have a more proactive approach to recalls than some other manufacturers, were the accelerator pedal recalls of 2010. 

Toyota GB also introduced the five year/100,000 mile new car warranty in June 2010 (which the UK still has) to restore customer confidence in their products. Toyota Europe retained the standard 3 year/100,000km new car warranty.

Just tried the recall checker, does not recognise Reg or VIN, normal Toyota crap software experience !

Thanks for the link Frosty... Appears I am fortunately unaffected!!  No recall letter for me on this one!! 

On 11/7/2019 at 2:57 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The main reason Toyota now have a more proactive approach to recalls than some other manufacturers, were the accelerator pedal recalls of 2010. 

Toyota GB also introduced the five year/100,000 mile new car warranty in June 2010 (which the UK still has) to restore customer confidence in their products. Toyota Europe retained the standard 3 year/100,000km new car warranty.

Recall history http://www.toyotaproblems.com/models/rav4/recalls/

Seems it was the Prius that had the massive at least 1.1 million cars recall, which at the time I believe was forced on Toyota. But there again Toyota are no worse than other manufacturers. VW Audi had a mega fine from the EU for not implementing recalls but passing the cost as ware and tear to the owner. I had a Audi that cost £600 each front suspension on a 1year old car that was not covered by warranty that later was forced to be a recall.

Incidentally when the EU fine car companies many millions, what happens to this money? Why does it not come back to the owners? 

Worldwide Toyota had to recall approx 9,000,000 vehicles for pedal entrapment/accelerator pedal issues: extracted from Wikipedia -

"As of January 28, 2010, Toyota had announced recalls of approximately 5.2 million vehicles for the pedal entrapment/floor mat problem, and an additional 2.3 million vehicles for the accelerator pedal problem. Approximately 1.7 million vehicles are subject to both. Certain related Lexus and Pontiac models were also affected. The next day, Toyota widened the recall to include 1.8 million vehicles in Europe and 75,000 in China. By then, the worldwide total number of cars recalled by Toyota stood at 9 million."

Two types of accelerator pedal assembly were used - one made by Denso which wasn't affected, and one by another, GM-owned supplier, which was the faulty assembly. The accelerator pedal issue was sideways play in the assembly and corrected by fitting a shim to take up the play (approx 20 minutes work).

At the time I had an Auris, bought new in September 2009, which had the recall work done.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links