Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The silliest most annoying thing about the 2019 Rav4 is...

Ezcritique

I have a couple of niggles so far and although minor... 1: it's silly that to operate the door unlock at night I have to turn on an interior light to see the button... What is that about?? How long have back-lit buttons been about!!!! & 2: I have waxed lyrical about this, elsewhere but the last decade infotainment is truly rrrubbish!! 

Please highlight any issues or niggles you have under this thread so we can share them centrally.... 

Share them centrally with whom?  Will be only with yourselves I suspect.   Frostyballs, the forum mod, as frequently said that Toyotado not view this forum, and if they did the very likely would not respond.   Toyota will have a customer services department to deal with problems, so that will be the channel to work through I would respectfully suggest

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ezcritique said:

I have a couple of niggles so far and although minor... 1: it's silly that to operate the door unlock at night I have to turn on an interior light to see the button... What is that about?? How long have back-lit buttons been about!!!! & 2: I have waxed lyrical about this, elsewhere but the last decade infotainment is truly rrrubbish!! 

Please highlight any issues or niggles you have under this thread so we can share them centrally.... 

My 2018 RAV4 was worse. In the dark I would turn off engine and open drivers door to find passengers could not get out their doors. I would then have to faf around looking for switch to open all doors. They 2019 seems to default to this as well, but at least you can change this setting via MyT app that allows remote change of settings like door opening, interior lights stay on time etc.

I drive a lot in the dark so I do not like to see my car looking like a Christmas tree inside. But 2019 has made a great improvement on my 2018. Switches before had no lights at all, were too far way, or too small or hidden in a recess.

Yesterday in the dark, I needed to open side windows to remove water droplets using the rubber window seals. When I looked for the switches there was a faint light directing me. Nice. Incidentally the 2018 the window seals never touched the glass so never cleared the windows.

There has been a big improvement for the 2019, auto folding mirrors now exists. It seems Toyota does listen to the owners and action much of irritating issues.

• Like 2

Having said that, whilst it has a lot of great features, my latest model Excel spec RAV4 seems a backward step in many ways compared to my previous 2016 4th Gen Prius Excel, which had:

• all four window switches illuminated
  • a more ergonomically designed switch layout on the driver's armrest, on the RAV I keep knocking the mirror fold switch to closed when shutting the door
  • mirror adjustment control was a large knurled knob that twisted to select left/right and was easily found without looking
  • roof switches that were easy to find by feel and also illuminated
  • illuminated glovebox
  • "rain repellent" front side window glass that was surprisingly effective
  • sound deadening laminated front side windows - I didn't appreciate how useful these were until I got the RAV that doesn't have them and hear a bit of wind noise from the mirrors at speed and more noise from diesels and cars with thumping music in traffic queues
  • a Head Up Display of speed and Hybrid System Indicator - a major safety aid that has been on the Prius for 10 years now
  • wireless phone charger (that's why I bought a new phone!  Grrr)
  • the best self parking system I've yet seen, made parallel parking in particular a quick affair as once selected it advised every time one passed a space the car would fit into (and could get you back out too)
  • a poor SatNav but at least it didn't revert to North Up every other time the car was started and numerals were on the same screen as alpha characters when inputting addresses
  • ability to use Playlists on USB music

I just wish they'd copied all this from the Prius (which like for like is a cheaper car than the RAV).

Also, the RAV's seat memory buttons are not illuminated or easy to find by feel, which is a pain in the dark as I switch between position 1 and 2 for driving and getting in/out.

I don't remember ever upgrading a car and losing so many benefits, despite the other advantages of the RAV.  However, I couldn't find anything else that ticked enough boxes, including the driving dynamics being similar the the Prius and having a spare wheel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PeteB said:

".........

I don't remember ever upgrading a car and losing so many benefits, despite the other advantages of the RAV.  However, I couldn't find anything else that ticked enough boxes, including the driving dynamics being similar the the Prius and having a spare wheel.

It does surprise me how some manufacturers seem to design from scratch and not take good points from a previous design. My wife had 2 second hand Astra’s which we both loved. I then bought her the top of the range new Astra and it was rubbish, we hated it. The gearbox was junk, they had made it bigger etc. Sadly I could not test drive it as it was a new design, and we were one of the few to receive it first in the country.

I’m a design engineer and work for many companies. I am amazed how some companies do not allow access to previous history. Hewlett Packard printers is a good example. We had no access to other machines so was to design from scratch, we were told plenty of time had been allowed for this. We engineers used to go around the rubbish bins finding old printers and study them and copy ideas.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2019 at 8:53 PM, gavioliuk said:

On 11/8/2019 at 9:52 AM, Catlover said:

Share them centrally with whom?  Will be only with yourselves I suspect.   Frostyballs, the forum mod, as frequently said that Toyotado not view this forum, and if they did the very likely would not respond.   Toyota will have a customer services department to deal with problems, so that will be the channel to work through I would respectfully suggest

I thought it would be shared with other forum members... Like one post in which to air their niggles... I didn't think for a second that Toyota would either look at or respond to this post as its been pointed out countless times that this forum has no official association with Toyota... As much as I agree that Toyota customer services would be an idea I feel that in isolation individuals would be fobbed off.. I mean they, Toyota, do not appear at all bothered once they have taken your money. 

I do actually like my Rav, mostly... 😁

• Thanks 3

Lots of discussion about Airplay etc but that doesn't bother me..(Shh!! don't tell anyone but I don't really understand what it does so obviously not missed not having it).

I am far more upset that forthcoming models will get the anti-theft keys that 'sleep' when not moved for a while, making it impossible for thieves to relay the signal and nick your keyless car so easily.

What are Toyota playing at? this problem has been known about for years and the new RAV was recently developed at vast cost for a global market. Why on earth wasn't the better key shipped from day 1? it doesn't even need any vehicle changes, its just a smarter key with a motion sensor that costs peanuts to implement. Toyota should be replacing the insecure keys with the new ones for free to us early buyers as its not like its a post facelift model or such a year or two down the road, its literally months after releasing the first vehicles here.

I am assuming they have added the new keys reluctantly to gain some better recognised security rating or insurance grouping rather than customer care.

• Like 3

I'm surprised Toyota let themselves be beaten by Ford on this, but even if I had a key that did this I would still maintain my current practice of putting the key to sleep (aka Battery saving mode) at home and in places where I'm near the car and could have been observed parking it nearby (e.g. restaurants).

[In case anyone is interested and doesn't know, press the unlock button twice quickly while holding the lock button in.  Two double flashes of the little red light on the key confirm it's worked - as will trying to use keyless entry or start without waking the key up - do this my pressing any button on the key.  I make a point of using the remote button to unlock the car after using Battery save mode.  Remember to do the spare key too, rather than rely on it going to sleep after a week or so (better safe than sorry).  This is reliable as long as it becomes a regular habit, costs nothing and potentially saves a coin Battery or two in the life of  the car.  I did try one of the Faraday pouches but it doesn't seem to work.]

The problem with the keys that go to sleep if they're not moved, I you keep it in your pocket it may get woken up from time to time.

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

I'm surprised Toyota let themselves be beaten by Ford on this, but even if I had a key that did this I would still maintain my current practice of putting the key to sleep (aka battery saving mode) at home and in places where I'm near the car and could have been observed parking it nearby (e.g. restaurants).

[In case anyone is interested and doesn't know, press the unlock button twice quickly while holding the lock button in.  Two double flashes of the little red light on the key confirm it's worked - as will trying to use keyless entry or start without waking the key up - do this my pressing any button on the key.  I make a point of using the remote button to unlock the car after using battery save mode.  Remember to do the spare key too, rather than rely on it going to sleep after a week or so (better safe than sorry).  This is reliable as long as it becomes a regular habit, costs nothing and potentially saves a coin battery or two in the life of  the car.  I did try one of the Faraday pouches but it doesn't seem to work.]

The problem with the keys that go to sleep if they're not moved, I you keep it in your pocket it may get woken up from time to time.

This waking up of the keyfob worried me so much I bought a small safe that is kept near the front door. My keyfob goes in there every time I arrive home. The metal safe acts like a Faraday cage and stops electrical signals getting to the keyfob I do not fully lock the door but leave it very closed.

There are small purses that also do the same thing where the keyfob is always kept in the purse, the irritating thing with these is you need to take the fob out when to go to the car.

My other worry is keeping a coat with house keys close to the front door, or leaving keys on the bottom of the stairs, since there are people that can reach these with a fishing rod.
This last one happened to a friend at work while he was sleeping, and when he watch on a neighbours cctv camera these guys were the biggest characters you do not want to meet. They opened his front door and went straight to the car keys. They only wanted the car. The car was never found,  police said it would be in a metal container and shipped out of the UK in under a day. And again I assume no tracker with work if the car is in a metal container due to the Faraday cage principle.

I have an RFID shielded rucksack and I affix my key to the carabiner attached inside (the spare is in a locked steel safe). It's my "man-bag", so it goes everywhere with me. I used to work in IT and with radio and I confirm that no signal passes through that rucksack. I've even tested NFC on my mobile and debit card and they're blocked too! It's a Targus one that I bought in Tel Aviv a couple of years back.

Of course, you can always be carjacked! If a big nasty thug really wants your car, he'll get it regardless!

Anyway, the odds are remote so just enjoy it.

Back to the subject... My main gripes are/were:

- Unlit interior buttons (no longer a problem now that I can feel where they are)

- Unlit and uncooled tiny glovebox

- Wheel changing tools unsecured (easily fixed)

- Boot cubby-hole covers very stiff to remove (job for first service)

- No windows up/down with remote (job for first service)

- No scuff plates (to be added soon)

- MPG down from 53 to 47 now that it's got colder (still pretty damn good for an auto mid SUV)

On the whole, I'm very pleased with my AWD Excel and couldn't be happier. I actually like the infotainment console and couldn't care less about no Android Auto. The standard system is much easier to operate than reviews say once you get used to it, and it sounds pretty good to my ears. Every SUV that I test drove had shortcomings, what car doesn't? 

• Like 1

Thanks Tabbyboy it's good that you are very pleased with the Rav. On the whole I am too. I'm very glad that this RFID scanning thing doesn't seem to have taken off here.. Yet!! Though a one for all rucksack seems like a good idea and I've shielded my bank cards just not my car keys so far... 

I have tried to feel the unlit buttons but invariably  end up unlocking nothing and winding down a window or two before finding what I want... 

If it's any consolation my mpg has taken a bigger hit recently too though that may be that it's colder here... 

In any case thanks for your impressions!! 

On 11/11/2019 at 3:25 PM, Southern Softy said:

I’ll give it a go ....... now where did I put my keys !

In your pocket?

Stupid fuel gauge, shows empty but 10L remain in the tank, like (Mod edit: swearing removed)! There is 20% left in the tank

Hmm the new rav 4 reminds me of those old boy racers loud exhaust roar and no go lol 

8 hours ago, MrNuts said:

Stupid fuel gauge, shows empty but 10L remain in the tank, like (Mod edit: swearing removed)! There is 20% left in the tank

Historically Toyota have been conservative as regards fuel reserves and when the low fuel light comes on - the Rav4 may well have 10 litres remaining when the light comes on, the Corolla has between 6.3 (petrol) and 7.2 litres (hybrid) remaining, the Aygo has 5.25 litres remaining, etc. Or would you rather have the car come to a standstill when the light comes on/fuel gauge reads zero.

13 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Historically Toyota have been conservative as regards fuel reserves and when the low fuel light comes on - the Rav4 may well have 10 litres remaining when the light comes on, the Corolla has between 6.3 (petrol) and 7.2 litres (hybrid) remaining, the Aygo has 5.25 litres remaining, etc. Or would you rather have the car come to a standstill when the light comes on/fuel gauge reads zero.

Yep, when the range says zero I want fumes in the tank, i've done 4,800 miles in the last month and every five stops should be four fuel stops, went to germany from Oxford last week I had to stop and top up the tank in Ashford just to ensure i would make the destination on the "tank", without paying Mway services fuel.

So I just want a fuel guage that tells me how much fuel I have remaining, my Rav's does not do this.

• Like 1

Does your RAV4 not have mileage range left, my Prius mileage range is found by scrolling through the trip button on steering wheel.

17 minutes ago, MrNuts said:

Yep, when the range says zero I want fumes in the tank...

I'm inclined to agree too, although over the years I've grown used to Toyota pessimism about fuel remaining.

In this day and age, it's disappointing the gauge is not a graphic containing a digital quantity readout (in litres, gallons - pounds or kilos even - or whatever) that's accurate within 1-2%!

4 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Does your RAV4 not have mileage range left, my Prius mileage range is found by scrolling through the trip button on steering wheel.

I think the beef it that this range figure cries wolf just as much as the fuel gauge and warning light do.

29 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I think the beef it that this range figure cries wolf just as much as the fuel gauge and warning light do.

Exactly. The car tells me I’m out when I’ve still 20% left. My old car, a Vw Tiguan was accurate, if I got to zero I would end up putting 60L into a 58L tank. 
If I wanted to keep stopping constantly I would have gone with the BMW 330e and it’s 35L tank. 

Yep.... I mean surely in this technologically advanced society a more accurate measure can be had for little investment in the scheme of things.... Good point, well made MrNuts

If you have the Toyota side steps fitted, you cannot have front mudflaps and of course vice versa. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, greigster said:

If you have the Toyota side steps fitted, you cannot have front mudflaps and of course vice versa. 

Really??!! I did not know that.... Seems pretty daft tho.... Thanks!! 

• Like 1

I know!

My Rav4.5 has side steps and I asked if they would fit mudflaps.......they can only fit the rear as the fronts are not compatible with the side steps. Great design planning Toyota.