Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Breaking in a hybrid engine?

nielshm

I'm just wondering.. How to break in a new engine combined with a hybrid drive?? 

I don't have very much control, the car takes care of it self. Google finds loads of information in generel, but can it be trusted and can I use it when the car more or less takes control? 

Toyota have been building cars with Hybrid system for just over 20 years, the first Prius in the Uk was 1999 I think.  Doing my research before buying my first Hybrid I never saw any query’s about breaking in a new engine, nor any faults that were specifically due to bad breaking in of a new engine. 
I personally think today’s engineering standards and practices are far better then they were 50 or 60 years ago, and development in lubricants are much better too. 
SO, if I were buying a brand new car today, hybrid or not, I don’t think I would drive it to much differently then I do now. I no boy racer, in fact I drive for economy. I would just not want to exceed, say, 3500 revs for extended periods other then say overtaking. I would be happy to drive at 2500 all day. I do believe a new engine just not be driven like wrapped in cotton wool, it needs to be worked to bed in proper. It used to be said a good used car purchase would be from the little old lady who only drove a 1000 miles per year going to the local shops and garaging every night.  Many times that theory was proved wrong because the car had not been run in proper, and could well be an oil burner.

i would have no concerns breaking in anew Hybrid engined car. Sure the engine is controlled by computer but I believe that is to the betterment of a new engine. Toyota hybrid engines don’t seem to rev high anyway. I had a plug in Head Up Display fitted in my Auris hybrid whic showed engine revs, and rarely did over 3000 revs and very often now more then 1500-2000. The computer always ensures the engine temperature is above a preset minimum, that’s one reason why hybrid cars do less mpg in winter then summer. The computer is not going to allow a “cold” engine kick in at higher speeds, not programmed to happen.

so, if I had a new hybrid I would just drive a bit easier for, say, the first 1000 miles, that being about 500 miles in a non hybrid car (my Prius is running over 55% of the time on Battery at the moment). Let’s face it, a hybrid owner is likely to be someone who is interested in fuel economy of low pollution (or both), and therefore not likely to be sprinting away from traffic lights etc.  So I not too concerned at all about breaking in a new car engine like I would have been 60 years ago.

• Like 6

General advice for all modern cars is not to worry about it. As long as you don't thrash them or lug them for the first couple of thousand miles they'll be fine.

• Like 3

4-1. Before driving

Breaking in your new ToyotaTo extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:

For the first 300 km (186 miles):Avoid sudden stops.

For the first 800 km (500 miles):Do not tow a trailer.

For the first 1000 km (621 miles):• Do not drive at extremely high speeds.• Avoid sudden acceleration.• Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.

• Like 3

First point seems totally irrelevant to hybrid cars if they mean stopping the engine ...

and I think the 2nd point is pretty well irrelevant because Toyota don't recommend towing with a Hybrid

6 hours ago, OXYGEN said:

First point seems totally irrelevant to hybrid cars if they mean stopping the engine ...

They don't mean stopping the engine!

5 hours ago, Catlover said:

and I think the 2nd point is pretty well irrelevant because Toyota don't recommend towing with a Hybrid

Where does it say that? There's a whole section about towing.

I had to argue that I was only going to use the tow bar for a cycle carrier before the dealer arranged to get one fitted. It’s not an officially sanctioned option from the Corolla catalogue (although the promo video they had playing showed one!). Although if you google, there is mention on the Toyota blog of a towing capacity of 750kg for the new HB’s, so limited to trailers I would think. 

18 hours ago, Catlover said:

Applies to some Toyota hybrids. For example the following article on Toyota UK blog dating back to 2016, says that one can tow with the C-HR, the current Prius and the Rav4 - https://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-hybrid-towing-questions

The current Rav4 and Corolla hybrids may have different towing abilities.

On 11/9/2019 at 9:04 AM, chicken_george said:

4-1. Before driving

Breaking in your new ToyotaTo extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:

For the first 300 km (186 miles):Avoid sudden stops.

For the first 800 km (500 miles):Do not tow a trailer.

For the first 1000 km (621 miles):• Do not drive at extremely high speeds.• Avoid sudden acceleration.• Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.

This is the guide I followed for the first 1000 miles. It can't hurt to be careful when you first get a new car, even if it helps you adjust to it safely. I do find it strange even after my first 5 months that the CVT demands high revs to get up to speed, especially up hill on a duel carriageway. Seems like you are flogging the engine, something I never did in my manual transmission cars!

Right after I get the car, I'm of to Cooenhagen. A 350 km motorway trip both ways. The only thing I have to be avare of is not driving at constant speeds? Changing the up or down 20 kmh must be enough?? 

7 hours ago, nielshm said:

Right after I get the car, I'm of to Cooenhagen. A 350 km motorway trip both ways. The only thing I have to be avare of is not driving at constant speeds? Changing the up or down 20 kmh must be enough?? 

I would stick with the Auris until after the trip. I think the new car would be better doing varied traffic conditions ie stop/start, where you accelerating and de-accelerating, bedding brakes in, not just a variation of speed by 12 mph.

34 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I would stick with the Auris until after the trip. I think the new car would be better doing varied traffic conditions ie stop/start, where you accelerating and de-accelerating, bedding brakes in, not just a variation of speed by 12 mph.

Thats not possible. Maybe I can go for a good long drive the days before, so car has done 500 km or so, before setting of to Copenhagen. 

I don’t think there will be any problems if you take your brand new car on long trips as long as you don’t trash it , smooth easy acceleration and easy on brakes, maybe a few more stops for break On the way and all will be fine.  It’s a car and it’s build to be on the road, don’t worry too much. The difference between driving for long hours and driving stop start in town it’s just a time. Almost impossible to keep constant speed for very long time , all motorways are very busy these days , or you may hit a road works and slow down a bit. Have a nice trip. 

Yes, the day after I picked up my car I had to go to Devon , about 195 miles. No problem.

Your precious rav would have been used and abused the second it came of the production line all the way to the dealer and peticauly by the mechanis who would have ragged your car up and down the nearest dual carriage way within a inch of its mechanical life .so !Removed! footing around gently breaking it in is just for your own piece of mind lol .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links