Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre advice. 2006 T180

Mikeyjd

Just bought my wife a T180 with 18" wheels.The tyres are getting rather low so I'm looking to replace them soon. I'm not looking for bargain tyres but I don't want to break the bank either LOL.

The car is unlikely to go off road but it will be used on country lanes, which may have a bit of mud on them or not be gritted in the winter. Any suggestions?

The car doesn't have a spare, so I am also thinking of getting an electric pump as a puncture back up, again any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

The standard wheels/tyres on a T180 were 235/55 R18s ...

Do you still have the Brdgestone Duellers with the BSR runflat system fitted? That somewhat influences what you want / need to do next ...

23 minutes ago, Stivino said:

Are those aftermarket wheels? 

No, standard wheels for the T180. I believe the car originally was fitted with run flat tyres, but I don't want to go down that route.

1 minute ago, philip42h said:

The standard wheels/tryes on a T180 were 235/55 R18s ...

Do you still have the Brdgestone Duellers with the BSR runflat system fitted? That somewhat influences what you want / need to do next ...

The car is fitted with Bridgestone tyres but can't remember if the run flat version. (picking up car next week). I would assume it can be fitted with standard tyres?

Just now, Mikeyjd said:

The car is fitted with Bridgestone tyres but can't remember if the run flat version. (picking up car next week). I would assume it can be fitted with standard tyres?

The BSR run flat system consists of the Bridgestone Support Ring (a steel band fitted between the wheel and the tyre) and exactly one specific type of tyre (a variation on the Bridgestone Dueler). So, if the BSR system is still fitted you have two choices:

1. Find and fit Bridgestone Duelers complete with the BSR logo
  2. Find someone who can remove the support ring and fit standard tyres

I don't think anyone will recommend option 1! 🙂

If you go option 2, you will then want to either carry a spare or get a "pump and gunk" solution.

Personally, I run Michelin Cross Climates but other good quality all seaon tyres are available ... Given that I live in an area with "country lanes, which may have a bit of mud on them or not be gritted in the winter", I wouldn't use anything less ... 😉

• Like 1

I have had 2 T180's, both have had 225/50/17 tyres on original Toyota rims.  So I would say that 17" is the standard size. 

1 minute ago, philip42h said:

The BSR run flat system consists of the Bridgestone Support Ring (a steel band fitted between the wheel and the tyre) and exactly one specific type of tyre (a variation on the Bridgestone Dueler). So, if the BSR system is still fitted you have two choices:

1. Find and fit Bridgestone Duelers complete with the BSR logo
  2. Find someone who can remove the support ring and fit standard tyres

I don't think anyone will recommend option 1! 🙂

If you go option 2, you will then want to either carry a spare or get a "pump and gunk" solution.

Personally, I run Michelin Cross Climates but other good quality all seaon tyres are available ... Given that I live in an area with "country lanes, which may have a bit of mud on them or not be gritted in the winter", I wouldn't use anything less ... 😉

Philip. Thanks for your reply. Will check the car out next week when we collect it. TBH didn't think to check as my wife has had a previous Rav4 for 2 years and we didn't know about the option.

Stephen, that caliper and disc picture looks familiar!!! 😁😁 Nick

It is the same picture that I posted in July when I fitted the new discs and pads.

1 hour ago, Stivino said:

This is the original T180 17" rim.14.JPG

I thought all T180's originally came with 18" wheels.

9 minutes ago, Mikeyjd said:

I thought all T180's originally came with 18" wheels.

Post from 2008 giving specs for T180 wheels: https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/87996-rav4-t180-wheel-dimensions/ - always 18" wheels as far as I can recall ...

(The 4.3 XTn versions came on 17" rims)

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

Post from 2008 giving specs for T180 wheels: https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/87996-rav4-t180-wheel-dimensions/ - always 18" wheels as far as I can recall ...

(The 4.3 XTn versions came on 17" rims)

I don't see the connection. 

Anybody tried Falken FK510 SUV Tyres? They seem to have a very good wet weather grip in all the ratings? Obviously, I am waiting to find out if the car needs run-flats, but Im doing research in the meantime

When Toyota introduced the T180, they removed the spare wheel carrier from the rear door, eliminated the spare wheel, fitted wheels and tyres equipped with the Bridgestone Support Ring (their run-flat system) and fitted a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). A great idea in principle, and it worked well in practice (I had to make use of mine twice) but otherwise a bit of a disaster. It only ever appeared on the T180 and SR180 and required an expensive piece of kit in order to change the tyre - you had to go to a Toyota main dealer, not all dealers had the kit and almost none of the normal tyre shops did. You were then restricted to a single brand and size of tyre - the Bridgestone Dueler H/T 687 with the BSR logo (you can get Bridgestone Dueler H/T 687 without the BSR logo just to add to the confusion). The picture below shows an original T180 / SR180 18" sport alloy shod with a 235/55 R18 Bridgestone Dueler H/T 687 tyre. You should be able to make out the BSR logo on the side-wall at about the five o'clock position:

2019863177_sr180rear.thumb.jpg.403a9925b7d7a85b126946b0bc01e23f.jpg

It didn't take folk too long to decide they wanted shot of the system and the Bridgestone / Toyota lock-in ...

One option, and possibly the best option, is to have the BSR ring removed (either via a dealer equipped with the machine or by a "tyre fitter who knows how to use an angle grinder to cut it off), carefully preserving the TPMS valves so that the TPMS system continues to function properly.

Another option is to replace the wheels - either with suitable after-market wheels or original Toyota wheels - the 17" wheels from an XTn RAV fit and have nominally the same rolling radius as the 18" wheels originally fitted. The problem with this option is once the TPMS valves disappear along with the 18" wheels originally fitted the TPMS system will continuously warn of low pressure. (The same issue occurs it owners want to fit winter wheels.) Owners could either ignore the warning light or "snip the pink wire" to disable the light. (You can search the forum for threads on this topic.) While that was possibly OK at the time, I believe the MoT rules have been tightened to required that any OEM fitted TPMS is tested and working as it should ...

As an aside, any early and original TPMS valve is likely need replacement soon if not already replaced since the batteries are supposed to last only around five years. Replacement TPMS valves will need to programmed into the ECU. After market / non-original wheels can of course be fitted with replacement TPMS valves - again these will will need to programmed into the ECU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikeyjd said:

Anybody tried Falken FK510 SUV Tyres? They seem to have a very good wet weather grip in all the ratings? Obviously, I am waiting to find out if the car needs run-flats, but Im doing research in the meantime

They wouldn't be my choice - they are summer tyres I think?

As mid-range, better value tyre, one of our number swears by Vredstein Quatrac 5s ...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stivino said:

I thought this topic was about the Avensis T180?

It's in the RAV4 Club Forum ... 🙂 ... but that would explain the misunderstanding  😉

I don’t read the individual forums, I read everything from the “latest posts” that’s why I just saw the heading “Tyre advice. 2006 T180” and I assumed it was referring to an Avensis. 

Now I understand.

18 hours ago, philip42h said:

As mid-range, better value tyre, one of our number swears by Vredstein Quatrac 5s ...

Philip. Thanks for that info. Will have a read up. Regards Mike

On 11/8/2019 at 5:09 PM, philip42h said:

Hi I put a pair of the Vredesteins on last month and I would agree with the other member, I like sure footed handling for time to time spirited Driving and these are good for me.

No regrets would purchase again.

• Like 1

OK, thanks for all the replies and advice. Fortunately it turned out that although we have the 18" wheels, there wasn't the run flat system fitted to the wheels. So yesterday I had a set of 4 235-55-18 Quatrac 5 tyres fitted.

Thanks again.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Tire Update.

All 4 wheels now disbanded on T180.

Pressure Valve replaced.

Bought standard 17 inch 5 stud 2005 - 2012 SpaceSaver to fit normal Rav from eBay, £100

Fits

So now confident with Spare.

Thank you

Mark 

On 11/13/2019 at 6:30 PM, JOSCYN said:

Hi I put a pair of the Vredesteins on last month and I would agree with the other member, I like sure footed handling for time to time spirited Driving and these are good for me.

No regrets would purchase again.

Do you folks here recommend the Vredesteins over the original Bridgestone Duellers for all temperatures and weather 4C-40c? Or are they not so good above 20c? 

Never see snow or ice in Lisbon but all range of cold wet and hot dry roads, and don’t want to switch wheels for seasons.