Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre advice. 2006 T180

Mikeyjd

3 hours ago, Dippy said:

Do you folks here recommend the Vredesteins over the original Bridgestone Duellers for all temperatures and weather 4C-40c? Or are they not so good above 20c? 

Never see snow or ice in Lisbon but all range of cold wet and hot dry roads, and don’t want to switch wheels for seasons. 

Hi Dippy

I cannot comment on quality of Tire over such Temperature range but as they are All Season tires like the Bridgestones, I would go for the Vredesteins just because the Bridgestone Dueller 687 are old design so would expect Vredesteins being Dutch, a better option.

20 hours ago, Dippy said:

Do you folks here recommend the Vredesteins over the original Bridgestone Duellers for all temperatures and weather 4C-40c? Or are they not so good above 20c? 

Never see snow or ice in Lisbon but all range of cold wet and hot dry roads, and don’t want to switch wheels for seasons. 

Looking at the forecast temperature ranges for Lisbon, I can't see why you wouldn't run summer tyres all year round. In the depths of winter they suggest average day-time highs of 15 degrees and average lows no worse that 8 degrees. I can't see any real benefit in fitting cold weather or all season tyres unless you plan to also drive in rather different conditions.

So the OEM Duelers - which are summer tyres - would be perfectly well suited to that temperature range. They are also hard wearing, C rated for fuel economy (so not bad), E rated for wet grip (so could do better) and, despite being rated at 70dB generally considered rather noisy, particularly on less good road surfaces. I doubt that they would be anyone's first choice tyres today.

If you fancied something from the Vredestein stable you might look at the Ultrac Satin - I can't recommend it from personal experience but it seems well rated ...

I too would suggest summer tyres for your average temperatures. 

Thanks all. It’s not so much the temperature as the wet weather grip. While some Brits think it’s the Med it is actually Atlantic coast and we can get savage rain Oct-April. I’ve slid the car a few times at low speeds on curving motorway slip roads etc so was guessing the other tyres would be better. 

1 hour ago, Dippy said:

Thanks all. It’s not so much the temperature as the wet weather grip. While some Brits think it’s the Med it is actually Atlantic coast and we can get savage rain Oct-April. I’ve slid the car a few times at low speeds on curving motorway slip roads etc so was guessing the other tyres would be better. 

So, the Duelers are E rated for wet grip ... which is, perhaps, what you are finding, particularly if they are already getting on a bit in years.

The Vredestein Quatrac 5 all season tyres are C rated for wet grip which is better; while the Ultrac Satin summer tyres are A rated for wet grip which is better still ... other makes of tyre are, of course, available. 😉

1 hour ago, Dippy said:

The thing is though, summer tyres can give better grip in the rain than winter tyres or all season tyres if the temperature is higher. Summer tyres are not just dry weather tyres. They are all weather tyres but designed for a warmer climate. All season tyres are a compromise if you have warm summers but cold winters.