Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Year particulate filter introduced?

JamesofYorkshire

I'm considering purchasing an older diesel Avensis. Does anyone know when diesel particulate filters (DPF) were first used in the diesel 2.0 & 2.2 engines? I think they became compulsory in 2007 but some vehicles had them before that date.

Mid to Late 2010 is when it become mandatory iirc that was when euro 5 come in (come into full effect Jan 2011 for cars)

In the Mk2 Avensis 2003-2009 the thing to look for is D-CAT this denotes a DPF

The early 2.0 1CD timing belt engine was available with & without D-CAT

In the UK none of the later 2.0 1AD timing chain engined MK2 had DPF

As for the 2.2 the 2ADF 150 bhp did not have a DPF the 2.2 2ADH 180 bhp did have a D-CAT

• Thanks 1

Thanks to both of you for the prompt replies.

I'm looking at a 2009 2.0 D-4D T4 (125bhp) and it says it has a catalytic converter. I didn't realise diesel cars had cat converters. Is this likely to be a problem on this particular model? It has about 100,000 miles on the clock.

Am I correct in assuming this car wont have a DPF or cam belt?

A DPF is a fancy name for a high temperature Catalytic convertor, diesel have had  CAT's since 1993 (K reg) and have had Primary CATs and DPF's since 2010

With Euro 6 it becomes even more complex - the Diesel is not long for this world in new cars

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

A DPF is a fancy name for a high temperature Catalytic convertor, diesel have had  CAT's since 1993 (K reg) and have had Primary CATs and DPF's since 2010

With Euro 6 it becomes even more complex - the Diesel is not long for this world in new cars

Petrol cats were compulsory from 1993 K reg onwards but diesels escaped a few more years and only had to have them from 1997 P reg (when Euro II came into force). The early diesel cats did very little in practice and are not monitored by the ECU in any way, or tested on the MOT, so even if they cease to work it doesn't really cause any issues.