Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alloy & Tyres Sizes

Gally

Could any1 please explain about sizes that are on the wall of the tyres? I'm looking at modifing my wives car. Its a 2002 VW Beetle. I know i know this is a toyota forum :) , but I do own a 2002 1.6 Avensis Aura. Just that on her tyres it says 195/65 R 15. Its only a few months old and well it would be a waste to get a bigger alloy especially when the tyres are so new. We've checked out www.perfomancealloy.com. Huge collection and some really nice and reasonable priced alloys. We have decided after a full week on which alloy to go for but we r still not 100% sure on the size. I know i can only fit 15's but on this site it sizes alloys by say eg 15 x 6.5. Its the 6.5 thats catching me. I emailed them to explain which they replied to contact my dealer? strange? i have asked around and no1 can tell me for sure what 6.5 or 7 means? any1? Thanks.

Just because you have 15's as standard does not mean that you have to stick with 15's, as long as the overall tyre diameter stays the same you should be fine.

For example my car came with 14's as standard but now runs 16's and have also seen it run on 19's....

You do have to be careful how large you go as you may suffer from rubbing on the arches...

If you want to go to a bigger alloy a good rule to follow is if your original size is 195/65 R 15 and you want a 16 inch alloy go to 195/55 R 16 or if you want a 17 inch alloy go to 195/45 R 17 and so on , remember that you can alter the width of the tyre as well you do not have to stay with a 195 but as you go bigger and wider you will have to watch out for the tyres scrubbing and may need to get your arches rolled if this happens. B)

• 1 month later...

yes, thats a useful tool. here is a brief summary of sizes that would be usefu:

16" alloys - 205/55R16 tyres

17" - 205/50R17 seems a good size

18" - 205/45R18 if they do that size.. If not 215/40R18. Now they are starting to get wide, so chance of rubbing, bu should be fine 20mm over stock.

19" - 215/35R19 Would be awesome! But very expensive. very heavy. and ride will suffer.

I think 17's would be the best compromise between looks and cost, altho none of those tyres are particularly good value. best to try a few places for tyre prices:

Looking at some, well low-mid range tyres - Hankook K406, (they are supposed to be v good tyres. I might have to get 2x 195/50R15 to try on my track wheels. :D) prices are as follows:

195/65R15 - £42.80

205/55R16 - £52.30

205/50R17 - very limited choice. Possibly 215/45R17 are much better. Looking at around $£70 a tyre, altho they have 215/45R17 toyo proxes at £54 which is a great tyre

215/40R18 also seems a very rare tyre size so expensive. 225/35R18 may be a better bet. slightly

19's - not really any tyre options. very expensive tyres.

Like i say, id probably go for 17's, with 215/45R17, or 225/45 if they will fit. With 215/45 your speedo will be 1.4% out, but will over read which is good. Speedo will say 60mph, you are doing 59.1.

225/45 are an exact match, but more pricey, and chance of being too wide

So it is up to you at the end of the day, hopefully this gives you an insght in what is available to you.

All tyre prices are prices delivered, not inc fitting, from my tyres. http://www.mytyres.net

• 3 weeks later...

However if ur car comes with 14's and u put 17 or 19's on it ur speedo will be off as well so it won't be showing correct speed... if it really matters to you