Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GT86 reliability?

colouredman

I need some advice please. I’m a long time lover of Toyota cars; I’ve been driving a Yaris for the last 8 years which has been virtually bombproof.

Im very happy with the Yaris for daily driving, but I have an MR2 for weekends, and summer runs out etc. That too has been super reliable but it has virtually no luggage space etc. I’m thinking of selling it and replacing it with another coupe, i.e a GT86, for the same purpose; fun,not daily car. Friends say to buy an Audi TT coupe instead, but I wanna stick with Toyota. Judging by my MR2 it will only do about 2000 miles a year and would always be garaged and on trickle charge in between. With this in mind I have a few questions:

1. Is the GT86 as reliable as is usual with Toyotas?

2. If properly and regularly serviced, would a high miler still be a good buy? (I’m thinkin a 12 to 14 Reg).

3. Any rust issues apart from the well documented quarter light pillar?

4. Automatic or manual?

5. Any particular problems to be aware of?

Any other miscellaneous relevant info much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tim

• Like 1

Starting point may be the Good & Bad section of the Honest John reviews of the GT86 and the Subaru BRZ (sister car to the GT86 - both built by Subaru) -

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/gt86-2012/good/

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/subaru/brz-2012/good/

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Starting point may be the Good & Bad section of the Honest John reviews of the GT86 and the Subaru BRZ (sister car to the GT86 - both built by Subaru) -

Hi, yes thank you. Yre absolutely right, and  I have read as many of those reports and reviews as are out there, in the last year or so. Theoretically therefore I feel I know a lot about them, but hearing things direct from owners is where it’s at. Also sometimes those reviews are in conflict with owners experiences. A great example of that is the Audi TT.

That car consistently gets 5 star rave reviews, but a) Audi reliability in terms of any official indexes is pretty poor b) Many owners seems to report very questionable reliability too, with consistent recurring themes of cambelt and water pump problems, failing sensors, dash electronics failures etc etc. Yet you get very little or any sense of those things from the reviews.

Similarly whilst I understand in theory what some of the issues with the GT86, they may well be contradicted by owners. That’s what I’m keen to get to know here really.

Thank you

Tim

On 11/10/2019 at 12:25 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

I notice you have a 2016 Aygo X Play. I’m gonna be buying a 3 door 2017 Reg X Play for my Fiance for Xmas; have you been happy with yours?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2015 model and love it. Very reliable and in daily use and fun to drive.

FYI....... the 2012 to 2014 models have a valve spring recall being done so any potential purchase is worth asking if it has been done.

The only other thing is the standard car Battery is not very good and people have had theirs replaced under the Toyota 5 year warranty. I use mine daily but if left stood for two days the Battery is almost dead!!!

Being a mechanic and MOT tester for a living helps me keep costs down and i will be replacing the Battery myself.

Any other questions fire away and i will be glad to help.

Hi Phil, thanks for your info/reply; sorry only just seen it. Yes I had heard about the poor Battery, so good to have that confirmed by an owner. It’s interesting that you have a 2015 Auto coz I’ve been looking at a few 2014/2015 Autos. You obviously like yours; I note that the enthusiasts dislike them coz they seem to think it’s not reconcilable with the ethos or performance of a ‘true’ sports car. I get that but I’m not a ‘petrol head’, just a guy who likes Toyota and wants a weekend/summer car to replace an equally awesome weekend MR2. If you were to do it again, would you buy Auto again or manual? Also, are there any particular problems or issues associated with this Auto box as opposed to the manual? I gather that some manuals have suffered from notch gear change, especially cold?

20 hours ago, colouredman said:

Hi Phil, thanks for your info/reply; sorry only just seen it. Yes I had heard about the poor battery, so good to have that confirmed by an owner. It’s interesting that you have a 2015 Auto coz I’ve been looking at a few 2014/2015 Autos. You obviously like yours; I note that the enthusiasts dislike them coz they seem to think it’s not reconcilable with the ethos or performance of a ‘true’ sports car. I get that but I’m not a ‘petrol head’, just a guy who likes Toyota and wants a weekend/summer car to replace an equally awesome weekend MR2. If you were to do it again, would you buy Auto again or manual? Also, are there any particular problems or issues associated with this Auto box as opposed to the manual? I gather that some manuals have suffered from notch gear change, especially cold?

If i was to get another GT86 if i had the money i would get a manual gearbox and add a Supercharger to the engine but that's all way too expensive for my pocket. 

As for the Auto Gearbox. It works fine and in Sports Mode is pretty responsive however in Manual Mode using the paddle shifters is good fun and the gear change response time in Manual Mode is almost instant.

One thing to bear in mind if you don't already know is when the time comes for Spark Plug replacement it is quite a job as the engine needs to be raised off its mountings to access the plugs properly and i believe Toyota charge 4 hours labour for the job. 

The Auto Box fluid needs replacing every 5 years so i am told and that is a bit of a job too and not a simple drain and refill.

Hi Phil, thanks for your reply; very useful to know. Yes I had gathered that the spark plug change at around 60,000 Miles was a biggie and pricey. So need to check that it’s already been done or factor in the expense if I buy something with higher than 60k mileage.

25 minutes ago, Phil White said:

the time comes for Spark Plug replacement it is quite a job as the engine needs to be raised off its mountings to access the plugs properly and i believe Toyota charge 4 hours labour for the job. 

A friend has an older Subaru estate.  The plugs on his car were a major pain to change, he said, when he recently did them. He thinks using a short piece of garden hose to grip the plug insulator would make it much quicker next time, as the hose will fit around a bend where a socket driver won't so readily.  I guess that this is a suggestion that is widely known?  Or maybe it doesn't work....!

I was in the motor trade for a long time - buy/sell/repair cars. Retired now but still a passive partner in a used car and repair business.

Don't like TT's. We always found used TT's to be a bag of trouble.

The GT86 is not really a Toyota - its a Subaru. Therefore avoid the autos...

Post 2014 are best (there were some engine mods).

Occasional head gaskets like all Subarus.

Mid range torque is a bit weak but can be mapped out. Have to rev them a bit when pulling off and the clutch pedal bites high.

Car is pretty solid otherwise.

To get at the plugs, raise the car. Take out steering rack bolts. Loosen off subframe bolts on one side and pry down subframe a couple of inches. You can then access plugs easily with long extension through the gap. Repeat other side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

hi guys

A new member

Thinking of buying a toyota gt86 2012 manual 40,000miles,full service history with toyota,plugs just done by toyota and the value springs also done at the last service(recall) 35k.Is there any other things to look out for engine/gearbox wise.I also heard something about a power steering issue(also a recall)anyone know anything about this.Any other issues please fill me in

Regards

Dave