Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


DPF time for removal quote


Paul Gailey
 Share

Recommended Posts

How long does a mechanic take to remove a DPF from a DFD2.2 2007 177hp estate Avensis for cleaning?

I'm being told 6 man hours and it seems instinctively excessive for something under the car just for it's temporary removal so I can take it for an ultrasonic deep clean where it is cut in half then rewelded afterwards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Official remove & refit time allowed by Toyota is 8.2 hours, the DPNR is not underneath the car but in the engine bay wedged between the engine & bulkhead.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Yes thanks. I saw it on the ramp as such. Much bigger job than I first thought to be fair. I've had the thing ultrasonically cleaned now - "it was filthy" - and an awaiting fixture again. The pipes connecting it I've discovered have since been redesigned widened by Toyota in newer models but my mechanic says those wider pipes are unavailable now. Seems like a Toyota admission of substandard design that doesn't help performance of the unit. I'll report back here once car is back in road.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...

well, since my my last update, pandemic happened and car had a lot less use, but the clean and refit went really well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 11/22/2019 at 3:09 AM, Paul Gailey said:

Yes thanks. I saw it on the ramp as such. Much bigger job than I first thought to be fair. I've had the thing ultrasonically cleaned now - "it was filthy" - and an awaiting fixture again. The pipes connecting it I've discovered have since been redesigned widened by Toyota in newer models but my mechanic says those wider pipes are unavailable now. Seems like a Toyota admission of substandard design that doesn't help performance of the unit. I'll report back here once car is back in road.

is this one of the machines you use there are places out there that do this which im sure its a great job 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is why, despite being a fan of diesel, I wouldn't buy a modern diesel, until they figure out a way to engineer the DPF out of it. What's worse is these things are creeping into modern petrol engines too...!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Cyker said:

This is why, despite being a fan of diesel, I wouldn't buy a modern diesel, until they figure out a way to engineer the DPF out of it. What's worse is these things are creeping into modern petrol engines too...!

 

well i can say there will be no better way to get a better engineered car without a dpf tbh they are trying to do away with diesel and later petrol cars for Battery ones .this is why toyota stopped making the 1adftv engines as they know that fossil fuels is a dying breed of fueling vehicles and Toyota is not putting anymore research into making another toyota designed engine this is why in later toyota avenisis cars have the bmw engines .

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

This is why, despite being a fan of diesel, I wouldn't buy a modern diesel, until they figure out a way to engineer the DPF out of it. What's worse is these things are creeping into modern petrol engines too...!

 

Most of the current petrol engines are now direct injection. The problem is that particulates are higher than engines with indirect or standard port injection. For this reason, some direct injection are now fitted with particulate filters.

8 hours ago, 2009joe said:

well i can say there will be no better way to get a better engineered car without a dpf tbh they are trying to do away with diesel and later petrol cars for battery ones .this is why toyota stopped making the 1adftv engines as they know that fossil fuels is a dying breed of fueling vehicles and Toyota is not putting anymore research into making another toyota designed engine this is why in later toyota avenisis cars have the bmw engines .

I agree. Toyota already had planned to go hybrid to meet emissions, so did not waste development costs on the AD series engines to meet Euro6.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, that's why they partnered up with BMW to share hybrid tech for diesel so they could divert R&D resources to the TNGA and hybrid systems. I still think BMW got the better deal :laugh: 

The funny thing is with all the demonization of diesel, the majority of efficiency improvements in petrol engines has been from cribbing old diesel tech, but is also giving the same problems as diesels - I still remember VW getting in a lot of trouble with their stratified combustion petrols; Good performance and efficiency but diesel-levels of NOx, and now the same with direct injection.

I just wish someone would make an air-blast or ducted fuel injection diesel - You wouldn't need a particulate filter any more and could use the 3-way cat from petrol exhausts to get rid of all the NOx! No soot, no nox, no DPF, no adblue! It would be great! And without all those exhaust obstructions, the mpg should be good enough to rival my Mk4!

It really pains me that we're just throwing away all that knowledge :sad: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2022 at 10:26 PM, Catlover said:

How much did the clean cost, and how much did the removal/refit cost.

I think about €50 for electrostatic bath clean, about €220ish for removal/refit (may have to check exact figs), but I recall it was a lot less than half the dealer quoted price of a refurb one 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2022 at 10:56 PM, 2009joe said:

is this one of the machines you use there are places out there that do this which im sure its a great job 

 

That looks top notch. Mine was alas somewhat crude but effective and less than a higher pressure wash it was an electrostatic bathing that sonically broke down the dirt during a long few sessions. The dpf was cut open and rewelded for best access. It was local to me and the service that all the garages used. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Paul Gailey said:

I think about €50 for electrostatic bath clean, about €220ish for removal/refit (may have to check exact figs), but I recall it was a lot less than half the dealer quoted price of a refurb one 

How much for those dpf  cleaning machines that I sent you that video of is that a option 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share





×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership