Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heat shield rattling

Steven Porter

Hi, the heat shield under my 09 Auris is rattling. Is it bolted or welded on? Could I take it off and use car without it on? Thanks.

Don’t drive without one, you are exposing the car body to a heat, now is cold and ok but in summer may cause you some trouble or even catching a fire. You can use larger washer to secure older shield if still on the car. If not just buy new one, they are not that expensive. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steven Porter said:

Hi, the heat shield under my 09 Auris is rattling. Is it bolted or welded on? Could I take it off and use car without it on? Thanks.

Should be bolted on, just remove the bolts, put bigger washers, or even cut some coca cola can, and use that instead. 

On my old car i even used high temperature silicone to stuck it back to the car, no issues for 2 years until i sold it.

• Like 4

You are welcome, I fixed mine the same way with washers for now. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Does anyone know where I can purchase one? It's next to the fuel tank

Moved to the Auris club

On 11/11/2019 at 9:19 PM, Steven Porter said:

Does anyone know where I can purchase one? It's next to the fuel tank

At your local Toyota dealer.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 11:12 AM, TonyHSD said:

You are welcome, I fixed mine the same way with washers for now. 

'For now'.. yup, mine's been fixed 'for now' for the last couple of years and going strong! 🙂

• Like 3

Mine's been 'fixed' with the base out of a Coke can for a couple of years too! 

• Like 3

Same problem with Avensis. I sorted mine this year. 

The mechanic ripped it off, it came off in 3 bits so I am going to need one for the next mot

46 minutes ago, Steven Porter said:

The mechanic ripped it off, it came off in 3 bits so I am going to need one for the next mot

How very 'helpful' of him! 😕

Breakers yards are probably worth a try for a replacement, but you may of course find that they are just as corroded as the one which came off your car. 

• 3 years later...

To revive this thread, mine eventually crumbled to dust.. seems the front and mid shields are some kind of alloy and still in fine condition,  whereas the rear was mild steel.

I got a large enough sheet of 2-ply dimpled aluminium from a Chinese eBay seller for 20 quid, then cut, shaped and fixed accordingly. Looks DIY but does the job nicely, and been through 2 mots since.

• Like 4

This is a common problem across all of Toyota/Lexus models. They attach the aluminium heat shields with plated steel nuts, encouraging galvanic corrosion between them. As a result the less noble metal (aluminium) corrodes in a nice circle around the nut and voila! Vive la liberté!

I've successfully (so far!) fixed this by painting the corroded area around the hole in the shield with POR15 rust protector. Let it dry. And then put a big steel washer, again 'glued' in with POR15. This means the washer is attached to but insulated from the aluminium shield and the nut only contacts the washer.  Note, the undercoat, rust protecting version of POR15 can take quite a lot of heat, the top coat version can't cope at all.

I've done this on two shields so far, and both look perfectly fine still with no corrosion after a few years.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, APS said:

This is a common problem across all of Toyota/Lexus models. They attach the aluminium heat shields with plated steel nuts, encouraging galvanic corrosion between them. As a result the less noble metal (aluminium) corrodes in a nice circle around the nut and voila! Vive la liberté!

I've successfully (so far!) fixed this by painting the corroded area around the hole in the shield with POR15 rust protector. Let it dry. And then put a big steel washer, again 'glued' in with POR15. This means the washer is attached to but insulated from the aluminium shield and the nut only contacts the washer.  Note, the undercoat, rust protecting version of POR15 can take quite a lot of heat, the top coat version can't cope at all.

I've done this on two shields so far, and both look perfectly fine still with no corrosion after a few years.  

If I'd actually addressed mine a year or two earlier I might have been able to rescue it, but it was too far gone before I took any real notice.

You live and learn, eh?

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, hubrad said:

If I'd actually addressed mine a year or two earlier I might have been able to rescue it, but it was too far gone before I took any real notice.

You live and learn, eh?

Hear hear, I know the feeling 🙂 That's why we're here, sharing experiences and knowledge.

You can do this fix preemptively if you intend on keeping the car for the long term.

• Like 3

Incidentally the Coke can repair to our 2009 Auris 1.6 heat shield was still holding fine when I sold the car in late 2020. I had the same issue with one of the heat shields on our Avensis last year and fixed it using the same method, although with it being a diesel I used a Pepsi can instead of Coke 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

Incidentally the Coke can repair to our 2009 Auris 1.6 heat shield was still holding fine when I sold the car in late 2020. I had the same issue with one of the heat shields on our Avensis last year and fixed it using the same method, although with it being a diesel I used a Pepsi can instead of Coke 😉

No joke , these are the real mechanics properly dealing with the problem. 
Here are mine self designed fixtures that still works after many years and over 190000 miles. Mot passes too. 😂👌image.thumb.jpeg.dc86381421e51d6b1c8d250d06f5f6e5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a5729353db0d036df9c956103829d7ee.jpeg

• Like 7

• 7 months later...

I have a 2013 Hatch Hybrid, does anyone know the official part number? (Need a new one)

3 hours ago, Bob Goodson said:

I have a 2013 Hatch Hybrid, does anyone know the official part number? (Need a new one)

Hi, 

you can use this side https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota to locate your car and find the parts you need. 
Good luck